Total Members Voted: 46

Most Tragic Death

magnumalv

Re: Most Tragic Death
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 04:07:24 PM »
yeah, I'll jump on the eliott smith bandwagon. that was f-ing brutal.  :-\

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 04:16:38 PM »
I got into an arguement with my roommate about what a tragic death means?  He annoys me because we'll be having a normal conversation and then he'll bring in something he learned in class thats not really relevant to the conversation.  In this case we were talking about a kid at W&M who fell off a dorm roof and died, and I was like its kind of tragic and he was like author x who studied the greek tradgies say to be tragic the protaganist must die hat his pinnacle due to a fault not his own.   To me that sounded wrong two ways, 1) It had nothing to do with our everyday conversation and 2)  Seems to me like the greek heroes always have a fatal flaw that leads to their death, not something beyond their control.

Anyway, when somebody says tragic in everyday langague how would you define it?

Lionel Hutz

• aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2006, 04:42:35 PM »
well, if mill vanilli man is in there, why not Michael Hutchence of INXS fame?

"On November 22, 1997, Hutchence was found dead in a Sydney hotel room, an apparent victim of suicide. Some speculate his death was actually an accident, the result of autoerotic asphyxiation."

phooey

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2006, 05:52:32 PM »
The suicides get extra tragedy points in my book.  I just think of all the incredible suffering that led up to the actual act; ugh. It makes my tummy hurt.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2006, 05:59:15 PM »
sam cooke

maybe not most tragic, but he's missing on the list

and: selena.  ::) what, I cried during the movie!

I agree with the above nominations.

As for those on the list already -- I voted for John Lennon.

jorge

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2006, 08:32:15 PM »
No one likes the Big Bopper (nor should they).

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2006, 08:46:37 PM »

I think the fact that Bob Dylan discovered electricity is the most tragic of all of these.

Please familiarize yourself with the electric part of his canon and get back to us.

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2006, 09:00:49 PM »

Foo Fighters, Weezer, Cake, Spoon, blues guitar bands (Black Keys are my favorite), etc etc.

What an ubelievable band -- and f'ng amazing in concert.  That is one of my favorite bands.  Damn, it's nearly impossible for me to pick which of their albums is the best.  I think Rubber Factory is probably the most solid, but the first one is great, and the opening track of Thickfreakness is just about the sludgiest most amazing riff of all time.  That is a NASTY opening track.

cyberrev

« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2006, 09:03:09 PM »

I think the fact that Bob Dylan discovered electricity is the most tragic of all of these.

Please familiarize yourself with the electric part of his canon and get back to us.

I shudder to think about the music I wouldn't have ever heard had the electric guitar never caught on.

Foo Fighters, Weezer, Cake, Spoon, blues guitar bands (Black Keys are my favorite), etc etc.

Thank God for the electric guitar.  In fact, I think I'm going to go play my SG for a while before I pass out.

only weenies play sg's.

;D

140am

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2006, 05:26:45 AM »
haha, nice.  I saw them play at a smaller club in Philadelphia.  It was really a great show.