Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I apply as Black if I'm 10% black?  (Read 10261 times)

struggles

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can I apply as Black if I'm 10% black?
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2007, 08:52:29 AM »
I haven't read the entire post, but I wanted to give my input. In my opinion 10% isn't enough to claim unless you idenify enthnically or you have been disadvantaged by it in some way. Otherwise its an injustice to minorities, namely blacks and hispanics.

Will you get caught in a lie? Doubt it, so go for it if you can live with it.

Its an interesing subject though, I am half mexican but have green eyes and am very light. My mom can sometimes pass for white even though she is 100% Mexican. Some people say you can't tell there is any Mexican in me at all, but then again people stop and speak Spanish to me all the time. Then there is my niece who is 25% black with blue eyes and light brown hair. She is as light as me, the only give away is her hair texture and curl. I am definatley Mexican because I was raised by my mother and maternal family, just recently connecting with my father and his. Same goes for her, she is black not soley on the basis of 25% but also because she is in touch with it.

On the other hand, 100 or so years ago you probably couldn't vote, own property or go to a good school...so maybe somehow those disadvantages have trickled down to you and you need that extra boost on your application. I'm mostly kidding.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2007, 03:20:57 PM »
Which is a bone of contention for BB because he is 100 percent Aryan.

BB is your girl's father?
VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2007, 03:24:19 PM »
I'm black, I could pass as white but I'm 1/2-- which is way more that 10%. At that point you might as well stay white especially if you are only claiming it for URM status and don't mention it any other time. I find it kind of disqusting but thats just me

from your self-tar I would've guessed Sicilian or Hispanic...

VIP.

jillibean

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2007, 05:12:35 PM »
I'm black, I could pass as white but I'm 1/2-- which is way more that 10%. At that point you might as well stay white especially if you are only claiming it for URM status and don't mention it any other time. I find it kind of disqusting but thats just me

from your self-tar I would've guessed Sicilian or Hispanic...

yeah I get that a lot. It's usually people trying to talk to me in Spanish. I don't get too offended until someone tries to correct me like "no, you are maybe a quarter black...or a third". My favorite is when I told an old black lady that I was president of the BSU and she said "well you're not black, at least not black enough to be president of the black student union". Now I know what barack obama feels like.
UMiami c/o 2010