Law School Discussion

Can I apply as Black if I'm 10% black?

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: Can I apply as Black if I'm 10% black?
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2006, 01:31:10 AM »
Denk, you are trying to make a simple situation out of my complicated ethnic heritage.

No, really, I was just having fun with the math. 

I believe that the whole concept of saying "1/4 Black" is silly in so many ways - mostly because it devalues the "Black" attribute - as if there's this thing that's pure "whiteness", and everything else is a dilution.
I agree with you here.
It's actually the whiteness that's diluting things.

Billy Pilgrim

• I am a pillar of salt.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2006, 12:31:26 PM »
Denk, you are trying to make a simple situation out of my complicated ethnic heritage.

No, really, I was just having fun with the math. 

I believe that the whole concept of saying "1/4 Black" is silly in so many ways - mostly because it devalues the "Black" attribute - as if there's this thing that's pure "whiteness", and everything else is a dilution.

True, good point.

« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2006, 01:39:54 PM »
Just to be a total dork - it's impossible to be "10% black", as the original poster wrote, isn't it?

Consider this a Logic Game:

I believe that it's only possible to be this fraction:

1 / (x ^ 2), where x >= 0.

In order words, you can only be 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 black, etc...  Ok - that's it -- with a mistake like that you shouldn't go to law school.  ;)

Actually, you need an additional assumption: that each person has a finite number of ancestors. Otherwise you could construct a series SUM 1/(n^2) = 1/10th. doing so is simple in fact. but assuming that each person only has a finite number of ancestors:

Here's a number-theoretic proof: each person only has 2 parents, so the demoniator of every person's ethnic fractions are divisible by 2 only. but 10 also has 5 as a prime factor, hence it is impossible to be 1/10th black.

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2006, 08:51:32 PM »
Just to be a total dork - it's impossible to be "10% black", as the original poster wrote, isn't it?

In order words, you can only be 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 black, etc...  Ok - that's it -- with a mistake like that you shouldn't go to law school.  ;)

Actually, you need an additional assumption: that each person has a finite number of ancestors. Otherwise you could construct a series SUM 1/(n^2) = 1/10th. doing so is simple in fact. but assuming that each person only has a finite number of ancestors:

Here's a number-theoretic proof: each person only has 2 parents, so the demoniator of every person's ethnic fractions are divisible by 2 only. but 10 also has 5 as a prime factor, hence it is impossible to be 1/10th black.
However it's possible to be very close to 1/10th black.

« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2006, 04:17:28 PM »

However it's possible to be very close to 1/10th black.

yea

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2006, 08:09:33 PM »
I have no clue about what percentage of any race I am.  But, I know I have a relative named "Zanuba" with no last name.  I look white so I marked "white" in the box.

However, I have since been told in the future to mark "decline to state" or "unknown."  That is probably more honest anyway.

InterFC1

« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2006, 07:01:20 AM »
I believe that the US Census defines a minority as one that is being at least 1/8th of that race.  For example, a person is considered black even if he/she has only one great-grandfather that was black.  Even if the rest of his family was of Swedish origin, this person could declare minority status.  I think that the same criteria could be utilized for LS admission purposes.

JTG

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2006, 10:17:39 PM »
I believe that the US Census defines a minority as one that is being at least 1/8th of that race.  For example, a person is considered black even if he/she has only one great-grandfather that was black.  Even if the rest of his family was of Swedish origin, this person could declare minority status.  I think that the same criteria could be utilized for LS admission purposes.

YES! One great grandfather!

jillibean

• I'm the pretty one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2007, 06:53:43 AM »
I'm black, I could pass as white but I'm 1/2-- which is way more that 10%. At that point you might as well stay white especially if you are only claiming it for URM status and don't mention it any other time. I find it kind of disqusting but thats just me

« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2007, 10:48:38 PM »
I think it'd be dishonest to just check a box, but it might be worth mentioning in a diversity statement if you identify as being black. It bothers me when applicants use a smidgeon of blood solely for admissions purposes when they don't identify as a minority at all.