Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I apply as Black if I'm 10% black?  (Read 10702 times)

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can I apply as Black if I'm 10% black?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2006, 05:30:33 AM »
the school might not catch it.  there are some african americans or biracial individuals that could 'pass' as white.  the problem comes if & when c&f denies you for the bar.  this could lead to the school revoking your jd.  then you would have waisted 3/4 years and still owe over 100k.

whatever dude. You think C&F bar examiner is going to think it's a character flaw to consider yourself black? What, is he going to hold up paint samples to measure the darkness of his skin? all the guy has to say is "I think of myself as black". the fact that he's 10% black or whatever is plenty of proof to back this up.
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2006, 05:34:59 AM »
Words of advice:
Don't try to lie.  One poster was caught.
Don't reveal so much info on lsn on your real name.
You do kind of look black in the small facebook image.
Better not post this on xo.

Dude, the guy who was "caught" is now happily attending michigan and sending nasty emails to professors about the length of time it takes them to grade exams. and he said that he was 'hispanic' and the *only* basis he had for this assertion was that his mom married a mexican dude when he was 16.

faith2005

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2006, 12:43:50 PM »
wow--i know i'm late, but big tex is [name removed]?  :o that whole email stuff was shocking...

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 03:43:20 AM »
wow--i know i'm late, but big tex is [removed]?  :o that whole email stuff was shocking...

yea

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 03:52:29 AM »
He self-selected as Hispanic because his stepfather was Hispanic.
One of the admins from a school that accepted him apparently gave him some trouble about it (if I remember correctly, he sent an addendum to most of the schools, but not that school.)

So the bottom line is that people on admissions committees do read this board.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 04:03:19 AM »
I'm pretty sure a private school can use whatever standard it chooses to select applicants.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 11:35:03 AM »
I'm pretty sure a private school can use whatever standard it chooses to select applicants.

Yes, but I would argue that withdrawing an acceptance after admission for something that arbtritrary would be tortious. 

Maybe, though I might look to contract theory first.  My guess is that they a reserved right to withdraw the acceptance, but chose not to use it.  Once you are in the school, schools don't like to kick you out.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2006, 11:42:00 AM »
Say 90% white, 10% black, does not look black at all. Can they apply as mixed, both white and black?

What would be the consquences if the law school admitted someone due to AA cuz of what race they said, but the law school disagreed. ie a white student claming black when he does not know any black in his family tree and of what he knows consits only of white?

Has a law school ever done anything to an applicant that lied and got it?

The point of AA is to assist individuals of all "races" and genders who are disadvantaged by economics, family matters, sub-level education (K-12), etc.  AA is not meant to be abused as a way for an individual to get into school.  Just saying that you are African-American does not mean that a) you are qualified for admission or b) that you are disadvantaged.  AA's intent is to level the playing field.  If your driver's license, birth certificate, undergraduate identification or even K-12 documents do not show you as having identified as African-American you may have a lot of problems.  The school might not admit you because you have proven yourself to be unethical or when you apply for Bar admission you may not be admitted.
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2006, 05:29:00 PM »

Yes, but I would argue that withdrawing an acceptance after admission for something that arbtritrary would be tortious. 

Maybe, though I might look to contract theory first.  My guess is that they a reserved right to withdraw the acceptance, but chose not to use it.  Once you are in the school, schools don't like to kick you out.

Yes, but from my (limited) understanding of American legal jurisprudence, the right to withdraw the acceptance is not unlimited. 
It is probably similar to an at-will employment contract. An employer can offer you a job, you can accept, and then the employer can turn around a week later and fire you. No reason necessary. I'd be surprised if law schools haven't thought this stuff through.

-TMcGraw

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2006, 07:18:36 PM »

What we are all not acknowledging is that a lot of it would depend on if the person signed something giving the school the right to terminate or if they reserved that right in some other way or something like that.  In other words, we are guessing a bit in the absence of any paperwork.

Yes, but from my (limited) understanding of American legal jurisprudence, the right to withdraw the acceptance is not unlimited. 
It is probably similar to an at-will employment contract. An employer can offer you a job, you can accept, and then the employer can turn around a week later and fire you. No reason necessary. I'd be surprised if law schools haven't thought this stuff through.

That's a bit different than an offer of acceptance, I'd say. 

And even at-will employment situations have many many limitations.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School