Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I apply as Black if I'm 10% black?  (Read 10582 times)

johnnydavis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Can I apply as Black if I'm 10% black?
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 04:37:54 AM »
Mahler at Niagra Falls....nice ;)

TinaTina

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - FlorentinaLSD@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2006, 02:04:19 PM »
I think someone with mixed heritage should be allowed to identify as a certain ethnic group if their upbringing is similar to what you would reasonably expect of a typical "full-blooded" member of that group.

Hence someone phenotypically white but with a black grand-parent or great-grandparent who was raised in a black community and faced all the challenges of the other member of that community should be given the same allowances given to other members of the community.  Someone who has only a biological claim should not be given those allowances.     

Dunson II

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2006, 02:22:06 PM »
Words of advice:
Don't try to lie.  One poster was caught.
Don't reveal so much info on lsn on your real name.
You do kind of look black in the small facebook image.
Better not post this on xo.

Yes. He could be part black.

I was just trying to show how easy it is to figure him out.  This is a serious ethical issue and he could wind up in as much hot water as Dion Alaniz, "BigTex".

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2006, 08:49:23 PM »
FYI I'm mixed.
It doesn't score a lot of diversity points if you're mixed with white.

Doesn't it say something like what are you self-selecting as? If I'm .0001 percent indian, but consider myself as indian as they come, who are they to judge?

I think self-selecting should matter. I self select as other (and then describe my biracial heritage). However, although people of more than one race (non hispanic) are an extremely small minority in law school, it has done me more harm than good to admit my partial whiteness (e.g., many people were offered scholarship $$ at a particular law school, I was offered a package of loans.)

I happen to go to a school that does not consider race in admissions. But I would gladly go to a school that did (listening Stanford?)
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2006, 08:55:28 PM »
I think someone with mixed heritage should be allowed to identify as a certain ethnic group if their upbringing is similar to what you would reasonably expect of a typical "full-blooded" member of that group.

Hence someone phenotypically white but with a black grand-parent or great-grandparent who was raised in a black community and faced all the challenges of the other member of that community should be given the same allowances given to other members of the community.  Someone who has only a biological claim should not be given those allowances.     

There is more to racial and ethnic heritage than the color of one's skin.  It also isn't as simple as what community you live in. You can look white, grow up in a predominately white community and still consider yourself black (because you are, in fact, part black).

When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

TinaTina

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - FlorentinaLSD@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2006, 12:55:28 PM »

There is more to racial and ethnic heritage than the color of one's skin.  It also isn't as simple as what community you live in. You can look white, grow up in a predominately white community and still consider yourself black (because you are, in fact, part black).

In my experience, those who are phenotypically white, as in an average onlooker would classify them as white, present themselves as white.  Why? Because in ordinary conversation there aren't many conventions by which or situations in which one can explain away what appears to be one's ethic identity for a less discernible alternative.  Can an applicant who is 10% white and presents as phenotypically black check a box identifying himself/herself as white with the expectation that this claim will be taken seriously by prospective employers?  I'll let you answer that question and then you can decide if the inverse should be true.

In the context we are discussing, ethnic classification is not so much about your personal identity as it is a tool by which institutions give accomodations to applicants they can reasonably expect to have faced the challenges associated with belonging to a certain ethnic group.  These challenges occur not because of someone's personal perception of themselves, but other's perception of them.

Of course, nothing is always so cut and dried as in the present case.  Even though he may not present as black, the OP face many of the same challenges.  So to the OP I'd say yes, to someone like myself I'd say no.   

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 02:29:59 PM »
I don't usually say this, but I agree with Googler.

-TMcGraw

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2006, 11:41:26 PM »
Say 90% white, 10% black, does not look black at all. Can they apply as mixed, both white and black?

What would be the consquences if the law school admitted someone due to AA cuz of what race they said, but the law school disagreed. ie a white student claming black when he does not know any black in his family tree and of what he knows consits only of white?

Has a law school ever done anything to an applicant that lied and got it?

Are you the dude the diamondback did an article on a month or so back.  If so you are one wierd dude.   If not and you don't what I am talking, don't worry about it.

Heres the link to the article I am taling about ...
http://www.diamondbackonline.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/02/10/43ec774840981
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2006, 02:52:13 AM »
if you have one black hair....you're black ;D; get real 10% black. We're all probably 10% black or some other minority....its called lying.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2006, 03:03:32 AM »
You can only apply as black if you have naturally curly hair. It's the law.

-TMcGraw