Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Same letter of continued interest to two schools? Will they know?  (Read 1592 times)

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
I am writing a letter of continued interest, and it sounds good so i want to use it at two schools. (One still under consideration and one waitlisted.) Is there any chance in the world that they would ever compare and realize that the wording is very similar? (two schools in the same city, hint hint.)

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Same letter of continued interest to two schools? Will they know?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 07:28:58 PM »
I don't think they would know. I did the same thing sorta. The only issue is, for the most part, when you send a LOCI you are saying THAT school is your top choice. So sending a LOCI to two schools (if you ARE saying that in both) could be problematic. I did that with two schools (sent a letter of continued interest which had similar paragraphs & both said that both schools where my top choice) and now I'm kind of biting my nails and hoping that this won't be problem....

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 07:34:10 PM »
maybe i will only drop the "top choice" bomb on the waitlist one, but then i thought i probably have a better chance at the school that hasn't made a decision yet. so it might be more worth it for that one. good luck with yours pinky!

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 07:39:49 PM »
maybe i will only drop the "top choice" bomb on the waitlist one, but then i thought i probably have a better chance at the school that hasn't made a decision yet. so it might be more worth it for that one. good luck with yours pinky!

Thanks! Good luck with yours as well!

Ever

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 07:48:33 PM »
You could always cite money issues to the one that you don't choose.  ;D

Superman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 05:15:07 PM »
Just tell every school they're you're top choice.  What's the worst that could happen?  They make you an offer and you refuse it?  Come on, these people have put us through so much emotional and psychological turmoil that it would be nice to turn the tables and throw a little hardship their way. 

pacoman384

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 05:35:03 PM »
Just tell every school they're you're top choice.  What's the worst that could happen?  They make you an offer and you refuse it?  Come on, these people have put us through so much emotional and psychological turmoil that it would be nice to turn the tables and throw a little hardship their way. 

When you tell a school an outright lie like that you are doing two obnoxious things. First, you're slowing down the waitlist for other people who really mean it when they say that if accepted off the waitlist, they will definitely go. In offering a spot to you that you probably won't take, they've delayed taking action on someone else's file who will actually accept the offer. You basically create more hardship for someone in a situation not as good as yours, because you're making them wait longer. You're not really creating that much hardship for the admissions officer.

Second, it gives your undergraduate institution a bad reputation when you lie like that. From that point on, an admissions officer who sees a file from another student from your undergrad college will think, "Hmm, some kid from this college lied to me last year about his intentions and made my job a tad more difficult. I'm not too keen on this candidate from this same college."

Tell one school and one school only that they are your top choice. It's not particularly considerate of other people when you screw around and tell everyone they're your top choice. I'm all for getting back at these admissions officers...I'm still waiting to hear back from two schools, and I've been waitlisted four times. But the admissions officers really aren't the people you're affecting with that kind of behavior.

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 05:41:49 PM »

I (think) I got away with this by writing "x law school is one of my top choices for where I'd like to attend law school". In reality both schools are my top choice so I'm not lying. I really could attend either one...

bvrlvr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 07:10:24 PM »
When writing LOCI I used crafty wording. Instead of saying it was my "top choice" I skirted the issue by saying every school was at the "top of my list." or something along that vein. Which was not a lie. But, I think many of you take this issue too seriously.

For instance:
"Second, it gives your undergraduate institution a bad reputation when you lie like that. From that point on, an admissions officer who sees a file from another student from your undergrad college will think, "Hmm, some kid from this college lied to me last year about his intentions and made my job a tad more difficult. I'm not too keen on this candidate from this same college."

That is pretty absurd thing to worry about if you ask me. Even if I did attend a small school, other student's future applications would be one of the last of my concerns. No offense. Besides, I highly doubt that unless you go to Smallest TTT University, that this would be a concern of any admission officer.

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 07:19:51 PM »
i dont think i have a problem saying that they are both my top choice. one is right now since i haven't heard anything. and the other is but i'm on the WL so it's not exactly an option for me outright. Anyways, i mailed the letter to the school that hadn't made a decision yet today. And i did not put top choice. In fact i didn't spend a lot of time on the letter cuz i was so rushed. Just put recent accomplishments, excited, look forward to hearing from you. I guess i'll put the top choice and all sorts of extra love in my letter to the school that WLed me.