Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why are some LSAC GPA's so much lower than degree'd GPA?  (Read 412 times)

johnproctor98

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Why are some LSAC GPA's so much lower than degree'd GPA?
« on: April 24, 2006, 04:49:41 PM »
I am not applying until the next cycle, but I was curious why some people have high GPA's in their degree, like above a 3.9, but there adjusted GPA is lower, like a 3.2? Also, what makes a GPA go up?

From what I know about the whole thing, it is probably due to transfer credits - like if you have credits from a community college from high school or you transferred from one university to another, etc, that could make your LSAC go up or down but won't affect the GPA from your degree granting institution. Is that mostly correct?
In: Boalt, Georgetown, NYU
Waiting: Stanford, Columbia, Michigan, University of Washington

LSN

Electric Counterpoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • Harvard 2010
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Why are some LSAC GPA's so much lower than degree'd GPA?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 05:02:15 PM »
I think you're about right -- credits that your college didn't grade or factor in GPA can come back to haunt you when LSAC takes over.

:(
Former mostly-anonymous admissions cycle blogger. Current law student.

johnproctor98

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Why are some LSAC GPA's so much lower than degree'd GPA?
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 05:09:01 PM »
Good to know. I have something like 25 credits (all A, luckily) from a local community college that I got primarily from when i was still in high school, but due to a time conflict this term, I enrolled in another class that is through that same community college, and it's good to know that I should put in the effort to get an A, not just pass the class with a C, because though comm. college courses don't count towards a degree, that can haunt an LSAC GPA.
In: Boalt, Georgetown, NYU
Waiting: Stanford, Columbia, Michigan, University of Washington

LSN