Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Is it "fair" to troll for scholarships at schools you don't plan to attend?

Yes, it's just part of the game
No, smacks of bad faith

Author Topic: .  (Read 541 times)

tonyp

• Champions!
    • View Profile
« on: April 24, 2006, 12:26:45 PM »
The University of Texas School of Law, Class of 2009

Dunson II

Eh, alls fair in love & war.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
"Fair" is the place you go to get funnel cakes.  It is not relevant or applicable in this scenario.  Use all the leverage you can get.  If you feel guilty, make it up to the school by donating to them later in life after you've become financially self-sufficient.  Until then, most of us will be broke throughout law school, and anything you can do to reduce your debt is advisable.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
There are many cases where people apply to a place they never intend to go, get a hefty scholarhip to that school, and after some research ultimately end up attending. As a result, I would say that there is nothing wrong with applying to schools in hopes of getting a good scholarship offer. In addition, most sensible applicants will apply to at least a few safeties that they will most likely not attend.

It really only gets to be an issue when people start to hold out on those schools by accepting scholarship offers when they don't intend to go or put a deposit down at both that school and their first-choice school.

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
There are many cases where people apply to a place they never intend to go, get a hefty scholarhip to that school, and after some research ultimately end up attending. As a result, I would say that there is nothing wrong with applying to schools in hopes of getting a good scholarship offer. In addition, most sensible applicants will apply to at least a few safeties that they will most likely not attend.

It really only gets to be an issue when people start to hold out on those schools by accepting scholarship offers when they don't intend to go or put a deposit down at both that school and their first-choice school.

Yeah, just look at the high number of Alabama trolls on this board who never seriously considered Bama before getting their scholarship offers. Now they're taking the scholarships over sometimes significantly higher ranked schools.

johnproctor98

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Fair? I guess so. I sure as hell plan on doing it. With my numbers, I hope/expect to get good scholarship offers from at least some of the places I apply to, and though there are 3 I definitely would prefer over the other 4 or 5 that I end up applying to, I could see myself going to any of the schools that I apply to if it were free or significantly discounted. $100,000+ in debt is not appealing.
In: Boalt, Georgetown, NYU
Waiting: Stanford, Columbia, Michigan, University of Washington

LSN