Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: black women/blond hair  (Read 27140 times)

crazy8

Re: black women/blond hair
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2006, 11:43:17 AM »
Is no one here of the opinion that Alicia Keys' album was just BETTER than India Arie's? And maybe I'll get jumped on for this, but India Arie is pretty generic to me - an earthy type who is talk-singing songs about love and self love. India Arie and Jill Scott and maybe even Amel Leaurrex are all pretty similiar in terms of style and sound - who is doing anything comparable to Alicia? And I'm not even that big of an Alicia fan, but I don't think her winning the Grammys over India was just "well she's light skinned so her music is more accepted".

I would disagree that India, Jill, and Amel have the same style and sound.  Alicia's piano skills are off the chain, but we all know that being biracial has given her an edge.  Comparatively speaking, I would say that India's style is closer to that of Erykah Badu.

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2006, 11:47:35 AM »

LOL, okay, so I have too much time on my hands today..but daymn haha

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2006, 11:48:23 AM »
Is no one here of the opinion that Alicia Keys' album was just BETTER than India Arie's? And maybe I'll get jumped on for this, but India Arie is pretty generic to me - an earthy type who is talk-singing songs about love and self love. India Arie and Jill Scott and maybe even Amel Leaurrex are all pretty similiar in terms of style and sound - who is doing anything comparable to Alicia? And I'm not even that big of an Alicia fan, but I don't think her winning the Grammys over India was just "well she's light skinned so her music is more accepted".

This is what I was thinking actually.  I used to think she was overrated and I do believe much of her popularity and hype originated with her looks, but she's just gotten better as an artist.  You could certainly argue that she's been given greater opportunity because of her physical attributes, but at this point she's just making better music than India.

I also disagree that Amel Larrieux is very similar to Jill Scott.  And I'll say that Alicia Keys piano skills are adequate, but the fact that she plays at all makes her exceptional.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2006, 11:48:30 AM »

She is so cute, but her head is so damn big! Why?
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2006, 11:49:23 AM »
Speaking of India - http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,3500161,00.html  the Akon "I am not my hair remix" is hot.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

petitschoque

« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2006, 11:50:57 AM »
Thank you BP for that display of exactly what I'm talking about.

But leave Rihanna out of this. I have a soft spot for her...she's so adorable and fresh-faced.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2006, 11:51:24 AM »

Ciara dyed her hair black. see Field Mob's new video. She looks bangin in it too. Much improved.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2006, 11:52:12 AM »
I agree with Coreenne that ethnic ambiguity is not, in and of itself, a bad thing.
I also don't think that: Keisha Cole, Ciara, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Millian, Tyra Banks, and Jessica Alba all look alike.

they all have something in common though: They'd look much better with darker hair.

I think people in general look better with darker hair ... including white people.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2006, 11:52:17 AM »
Thank you BP for that display of exactly what I'm talking about.

But leave Rihanna out of this. I have a soft spot for her...she's so adorable and fresh-faced.

Rihanna is very cute.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2006, 11:52:53 AM »
Agreed, Ciara looks better with dark hair. However, I think Beyonce looks good in the color she wears.

And petit - you really like Rhianna? To me, she is a island version of Beyonce. They even look alike!

Die Luft der Freiheit weht