Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: black women/blond hair  (Read 26239 times)

crazy8

Re: black women/blond hair
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2006, 09:50:56 AM »
How do you paste a picture that from your computer, not the internet?

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2006, 09:57:26 AM »
I don't find Beyonce exotic since there's no shortage of scantily dressed, ethnically ambiguous, bottle-blondes of questionable talent. In fact, they are virtually the norm in the entertainment industry.

You don't think Beyonce is talented? I think she's a good singer (certainly not the greatest, but she well and on key - unfortunately, can't take that for granted anymore!) who sort of pioneered a new vocal style. She definitely has a distinct voice, and that's more than you can say about many. I think she gets a lot of criticism because she's essentially a Barbie, but she has talent.

She pioneered a new vocal style?! What style is this?

She might have a distinct voice in that I can tell it's her singing but talent involves more than that IMO. After all, William Hung was rather distinctive too.

I think less of her because she is contrived and her success lies in wholly marketing rather than talent or creativity. Her songwriting skills are rudimentary at best, her dancing could be mastered by anyone with time on their hands (compared to MJ whose moves were truly inspired), and her look is so generic. I mean line up Keisha Cole, Ciara, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Millian, Tyra Banks, and Jessica Alba. They've all had their hair that particular shade of 'is it blonde or is it brown' with the 'is it weave or is it real' look, all have that ethnically ambiguous 'is it black or is it hispanic or is it mixed race or is it tanned white' look, and appear to be sisters (with some being uglier, chubbier, taller etc versions of the others). Booooo-ring. Beyonce is simply the least mediocre (even that's arguable) of a very mediocre bunch IMO.

Not to say that her betters are flawless...but talent requires a certain unteachable ooomph, a certain stand-out gimmick that the artist can totally claim as theirs, a charisma...just a something that Beyonce lacks. Maybe the something is uniqueness.

I could go on but I can't spend my morning on Beyonce.

I agree to a certain extent.  There's definitely a lack of standout female artists in the R&B community, both in terms of looks and talent.  Other than the few singers like India Arie, most of them have the same light to (occaisionally) medium brown skin, light to medium brown long hair, slender curvy bodies highlighted in very little clothing, rocking the same 'bootylicious' dance moves.  The music is all similar brands of 'hiphop soul', with interchanging guest rappers (50cent, lil wayne, pharrel).

Where's the individuality?  Why do all of their songs sound the same?  Where's the soul, for lack of a better word?  Whitney had it, back in the day.  Aretha definitely had it. Even Mariah and Christina Aguilera has(d) it, as much as people may want to criticize both.  Mary J has also been known for it.  So why are today's up and coming artists so consumed with mediocrity? I hear a song on the radio and can't even tell who it is...
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2006, 09:59:39 AM »

She pioneered a new vocal style?! What style is this?

she has a style of singing that now widely copied. it's arguable (probable even) that someone else did it first, but she popularized it back with destiny's child. Don't ask me to describe it, I'm not versed in musical vocabulary.

I think less of her because she is contrived and her success lies in wholly marketing rather than talent or creativity. Her songwriting skills are rudimentary at best, her dancing could be mastered by anyone with time on their hands (compared to MJ whose moves were truly inspired), and her look is so generic. I mean line up Keisha Cole, Ciara, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Millian, Tyra Banks, and Jessica Alba. They've all had their hair that particular shade of 'is it blonde or is it brown' with the 'is it weave or is it real' look, all have that ethnically ambiguous 'is it black or is it hispanic or is it mixed race or is it tanned white' look, and appear to be sisters (with some being uglier, chubbier, taller etc versions of the others). Booooo-ring. Beyonce is simply the least mediocre (even that's arguable) of a very mediocre bunch IMO.

I will agree with you on her writing and dancing - I won't bother with the writing, and she dances no better than the "average black girl." However, I don't know about your assessment of the looks of the various women you named - the only thing they all have in common is a trendy style of dress with beige to tan skin and long hair. I don't think that any of them are "ethnically ambiguous" and if they are, you imply that there is something wrong or inauthentic in being so.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

redemption

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2006, 10:02:40 AM »
Beyonce = no talent skank

For talent, see Jill Scott

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2006, 10:05:04 AM »
How do you paste a picture that from your computer, not the internet?

you can't; you have to upload the pic to a website then link from the website to here.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2006, 10:07:26 AM »
Beyonce = no talent skank

For talent, see Jill Scott

lol

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2006, 10:43:29 AM »
I agree with Coreenne that ethnic ambiguity is not, in and of itself, a bad thing.
I also don't think that: Keisha Cole, Ciara, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Millian, Tyra Banks, and Jessica Alba all look alike.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2006, 10:45:15 AM »
I agree with Coreenne that ethnic ambiguity is not, in and of itself, a bad thing.
I also don't think that: Keisha Cole, Ciara, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Millian, Tyra Banks, and Jessica Alba all look alike.

they all have something in common though: They'd look much better with darker hair.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2006, 10:46:16 AM »
My hair is jet black  ;D
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance