Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: black women/blond hair  (Read 25462 times)

petitschoque

Re: black women/blond hair
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2006, 12:02:37 PM »
However, I think she looks awkward on camera/in her videos...like a baby giraffe. Maybe she'll grow out of it, but she doesn't take command of the stage/video like some do (Ciara and Beyonce come to mind).

LOL, yes she does look awkward...but even that has it's own unpolished cuteness. Not to worry, I'm sure they'll have all the modesty and home-training beaten out of her soon enough. She'll be pop, pop, popping that thing in no time, lol.

Edit: Nevermind, if MoniLi is right, she's already there.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2006, 12:04:47 PM »
ah, a reference to Christina Millian. It's one thing to look like a ho. It's another thing to look like a ho singing an awful song. SMH
Look to the left -- Look to the right

crazy8

« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2006, 12:07:23 PM »
ah, a reference to Christina Millian. It's one thing to look like a ho. It's another thing to look like a ho singing an awful song. SMH

Isn't she on Jay-z's (def jam) label?

Without further ado:

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2006, 12:09:43 PM »
Eh... Special effects. CGI muthafukka. CGI!
Look to the left -- Look to the right

_BP_

• Sr. Citizen
  • Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2006, 12:10:44 PM »

Isn't she on Jay-z's (def jam) label?

Without further ado:

The Dee-jay dude next to her is like "WTF!"
UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
1776 TO 2006

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2006, 12:11:05 PM »

I also think ambiguity totally does enhance crossover appeal...but that's a matter of opinion not fact so we can disagree on it and both have valid points. I don't believe that the viewpoint of white people is so simple that they can't differentiate between different types of blacks. I mean black Americans are fond of the House Negro v. Field Negro analogy...didn't that roughly correspond to light negro v. dark negro? And if so, why do you think that whites could differentiate then but suddenly can't nowadays?

Personally, I just think that most whites do not think about the variations in Black people as much as Black people think about them. I just feel that by the time I start interacting with a White person, they already have concepts about who Black people are and whatever traits they associate, positive or negative, with Black people. If they are open minded about befriending me, then they are just that. If not, then they aren't. If they are open minded about Black music, then they are, if they aren't, no amount of "crossover appeal" changes that. But there are people in the gray area and there is where these ideas of ambiguity could come into play.

And Gemini, what makes my comment "sheltered"? Do you think I've only had limited interactions with White people?

No, I suspect black people....Indeed I would elaborate, but I could write a book or qoute the numerous ones that have demostrated the point - that appearances do matter when it comes to how white people or any other races percieve black people.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2006, 12:11:11 PM »
I've seen that pic. That's Toure looking like "what in the hell is THAT on top of her head". Weave and gold lame shorts do a lot in terms of sex appeal.

Any woman with the foundation (not obese, clear skin, good teeth) and the time/money can look banging. The only difference between the pop startlets in this thread and the finest chica you know in real life is a personal trainer, and professional hair/makeup/wardrobe.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2006, 12:12:26 PM »
Ambiguity is definitely what is popular in the media. Just look at almost any 'urban' music video: rap, r&b, male or female.  Sometimes I'm looking at the women trying to figure out what their ethnicity is.  Black, white, hispanic, or indian, they're similar skin colors and hair length/color/texture.  

Even in ads for products marketed to people of color, there's often the lighter women with long straight or "ethnically ambiguous" wavy/curly hair (the "acceptable alternative").  In 'crossover' roles, in which the black woman is a major player (or even love interest) in a 'white' movie, its almost always the Hallie Berry's, not the Regina King's.

Whether the pressure is whithin the black community or external, to a certain extent we have not gotten over our color complex.  My younger brother says that he wants to marry a dark-skinned woman so that his kids will not experience the plight of the light-skinned man, as he has  :D
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2006, 12:14:47 PM »
The only difference between the pop startlets in this thread and the finest average chica you know in real life is a personal trainer, and professional hair/makeup/wardrobe.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2006, 12:15:10 PM »
No, I suspect black people....Indeed I would elaborate, but I could write a book or qoute the numerous ones that have demostrated the point - that appearances do matter when it comes to how white people or any other races percieve black people.

I'm definitely not sheltered in terms of interaction with Black people...I went to majority Black schools until college and socialize primarily with Black people. I definitely did not grow up as one of those "there were only 5 black people in my blah blah blah". I'm not saying that appearances DON'T matter to Whites, I just don't think they matter as much as Black people tend to think they do.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht