Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: black women/blond hair  (Read 27052 times)

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: black women/blond hair
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2006, 11:48:02 PM »
SRSLY?
Look to the left -- Look to the right

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2006, 11:50:39 PM »
YA RLY

someone has spent a little too much time on xo ;)

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2006, 12:06:22 AM »
awww looks like a baby Mariah Carey.  :P

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2006, 09:13:29 AM »

thats their loss.  if someone found me exotic, id take it as a compliment.

exotic is like saying someone looks weird, but in a cute way. it's no compliment really.

For once, I agree with RBG. People throw the E word at me and I don't find it to be a compliment whatsoever. I take it to mean "You aren't white but you are cute anyway."
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

petitschoque

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2006, 09:13:43 AM »
There's no such thing as no maintenance black hair.  Natural or permed, it all requires regular conditioning, trims, and general tlc.

There's no such thing as 'no maintenance' hair of any kind (assuming the goal is to look civilized). However, low maintenance hair is very attainable whether or not one has "black" hair. It's all about being well-versed in what works for one's hair. Those who are very high maintenance either enjoy spending endless hours fussing over their hair or are rather unskilled at caring for their hair...and thus expend great effort achieving looks that others create with ease.

-----------------

Re: Exotic

Regardless of what the PC police say, I don't believe the word is offensive in and of itself. I'm regularly called exotic and whether or not I take offense depends on the source. I think it can be a compliment because I certainly am not interested in being a lackluster drone like most people walking about. In the case of the lady with very dark skin and very light hair whom I saw, 'exotic' would have been the word to use. She was striking, she was unusual, she was rare and beautifully so.

When exotic is used to praise one's beauty, I don't think it's so bad. When it's used to objectify or fetishize, well then therein lies the problem. It isn't so hard to differentiate between the appreciative person who might have used a loaded word and the weirdo fetishist who wants to hang you on his wall or thinks you're 'pretty for a black girl.'

I don't find Beyonce exotic since there's no shortage of scantily dressed, ethnically ambiguous, bottle-blondes of questionable talent and taste. In fact, they are virtually the norm in the entertainment industry.

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2006, 09:17:52 AM »
I don't find Beyonce exotic since there's no shortage of scantily dressed, ethnically ambiguous, bottle-blondes of questionable talent. In fact, they are virtually the norm in the entertainment industry.

You don't think Beyonce is talented? I think she's a good singer (certainly not the greatest, but she sings well and on key - unfortunately, can't take that for granted anymore!) who sort of pioneered a new vocal style. She definitely has a distinct voice, and that's more than you can say about many. I think she gets a lot of criticism because she's essentially a Barbie, but she has talent.

Slow Blues

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2006, 09:20:29 AM »

exotic is like saying someone looks weird, but in a cute way. it's no compliment really.

For once, I agree with RBG. People throw the E word at me and I don't find it to be a compliment whatsoever. I take it to mean "You aren't white but you are cute anyway."

Did Mr. Valentino sling the E word at you?

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2006, 09:21:45 AM »

Did Mr. Valentino sling the E word at you?

Haha, no.

petitschoque

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2006, 09:36:21 AM »
I don't find Beyonce exotic since there's no shortage of scantily dressed, ethnically ambiguous, bottle-blondes of questionable talent. In fact, they are virtually the norm in the entertainment industry.

You don't think Beyonce is talented? I think she's a good singer (certainly not the greatest, but she well and on key - unfortunately, can't take that for granted anymore!) who sort of pioneered a new vocal style. She definitely has a distinct voice, and that's more than you can say about many. I think she gets a lot of criticism because she's essentially a Barbie, but she has talent.

She pioneered a new vocal style?! What style is this?

She might have a distinct voice in that I can tell it's her singing but talent involves more than that IMO. After all, William Hung was rather distinctive too.

I think less of her because she is contrived and her success lies in wholly marketing rather than talent or creativity. Her songwriting skills are rudimentary at best, her dancing could be mastered by anyone with time on their hands (compared to MJ whose moves were truly inspired), and her look is so generic. I mean line up Keisha Cole, Ciara, Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez, Christina Millian, Tyra Banks, and Jessica Alba. They've all had their hair that particular shade of 'is it blonde or is it brown' with the 'is it weave or is it real' look, all have that ethnically ambiguous 'is it black or is it hispanic or is it mixed race or is it tanned white' look, and appear to be sisters (with some being uglier, chubbier, taller etc versions of the others). Booooo-ring. Beyonce is simply the least mediocre (even that's arguable) of a very mediocre bunch IMO.

Not to say that her betters are flawless...but talent requires a certain unteachable ooomph, a certain stand-out gimmick that the artist can totally claim as theirs, a charisma...just a something that Beyonce lacks. Maybe the something is uniqueness.

I could go on but I can't spend my morning on Beyonce.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2006, 09:45:38 AM »

See, why you have to say it like that?  :(