Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Official American U-WCL Class of 2009 Thread  (Read 1293 times)

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
Official American U-WCL Class of 2009 Thread
« on: April 24, 2006, 01:22:53 AM »
Holla! Anybody else going to Tenleytown this fall?
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

echolalia

• View Profile
Re: Official American U-WCL Class of 2009 Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 10:56:01 AM »
g'day scottyd,

yup, i'll be heading to wcl too, and rather excited about it  :)
congrats to you and everyone else who got/gets in, too!

Apples and Oranges

• Sr. Citizen
  • My puppy
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MissPalmboom
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 12:27:36 PM »
Hey guys,

I'll be there too  :) Very excited, though nervous about trying to find affordable housing when the time comes (stress on affordable  :-[ I've been pampered by having an amazing place in Montreal for $400 Canadian... I have a feeling like DC prices won't be like this!)

I just finished school yesterday! Exams done and everything -- I have to take a may course because some transfer credits from my last semester in Singapore didn't transfer, but for this weekend, we're pretending that I just finished college  :) It feels great!

Anyway, I know scottyd's coming from west coast, but are you making a far trip echolalia? I'm just doing Montreal--> NJ (where I'm originally from) --> DC, so not that bad...

Anyway, glad we have our own thread  :)

Jess

SantiV

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2006, 02:25:54 PM »
Hey everyone,

Count me in.  I'll be there this fall, and also very excited.  Coming from Boston/Providence.  Glad to be leaving the New England area.  What kind of law is everyone interested in?
Welcome everyone, look forward to seeing all of you on campus. 

-Santiago

echolalia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2006, 07:02:51 PM »
"far trip"? Hard to answer that question, Jess :)
I'm currently working in Philadelphia, but I'll be going home to Malaysia for the summer before coming back to the US. And you were in Singapore? For a semester in college? How did you like it?

Heya Santiago, glad to meet you. I've read a couple of your posts regarding American, but haven't replied til now. What kind of law? Hmm, guess this is the college idealist still sneaking out, but I'm looking forward to taking classes on public international law. Criminal and immigration law are also appealing, though.

-Andrew

SantiV

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 01:16:20 PM »
"far trip"? Hard to answer that question, Jess :)
I'm currently working in Philadelphia, but I'll be going home to Malaysia for the summer before coming back to the US. And you were in Singapore? For a semester in college? How did you like it?

Heya Santiago, glad to meet you. I've read a couple of your posts regarding American, but haven't replied til now. What kind of law? Hmm, guess this is the college idealist still sneaking out, but I'm looking forward to taking classes on public international law. Criminal and immigration law are also appealing, though.

-Andrew

Ya, I feel like I was the first person on LSD to decide on American.  I've been posting about it for months now, defending it and finding out some new info.  I hate how some people just try to discourage us so much.  First they throw out the "well it's in the shadows of GULC and GW" excuse.  I don't find that discouraging one bit since just about every major city has 3+ great law schools, and they can all place well. For example Harvard, BU, BC, or USC, UCLA, Loyola.  Anyway, I've also argued that the cost is definitely outweighed by all the opportunuties and benefits we'll have.  Also, the schools is T1, great rankings, and the numbers for salary and such are much smaller than they should be because of all the people that go into the public sector at the school.  Well I'm glad you finally responded, and you're officially part of the WCL class of '09. 
As for me, I've been intersed in intellectual property, mainly because I was a Comp Sci undergrad.  However, as time goes on, and especially now that I'm going to American, I've been becoming more and more interested in immigration, international law.  Then I've also alwyas had that sort of dream of being a sports agent, and a entertainment lawyer.  That'd be great, but I'm sure it's a hard market to break into, especially out of AU.  I'm not too worried about it, I'll find what I love and pursue it eventually.

Scotty, tell us how the ASD was- any new info you can give us?

echolalia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2006, 12:12:36 PM »
However, as time goes on, and especially now that I'm going to American, I've been becoming more and more interested in immigration, international law.  Then I've also alwyas had that sort of dream of being a sports agent, and a entertainment lawyer.  That'd be great, but I'm sure it's a hard market to break into, especially out of AU.  I'm not too worried about it, I'll find what I love and pursue it eventually.

Agreed, there seems to be some great opportunities to study international law at AU. Hopefully we'll get to take a class together, Santiago, and maybe even in the 1st year. I think I heard somewhere that the admin were considering allowing 1 elective during our 1L, which might be interesting in marketing ourselves during the 1L summer.

Oh, is anyone considering/pursuing the JD/MA in Int'l Affairs? I'm leaning heavily towards applying to the program as a WCL student, but I haven't come across a syllabus for SIS yet. Would anyone know where I could find one? The only thing I've got so far is doing a course search on the AU website.
Thanks

Apples and Oranges

• Sr. Citizen
  • My puppy
    • AOL Instant Messenger - MissPalmboom
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2006, 12:19:00 PM »
Hey guys,

Yup echolalia, I spent last semester in Singapore... I absolutely loved it there, mostly as a political science student I found S'pore fascinating... Also, it was a great central place to travel from -- made it to Cambodia, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, and even to China... I had an awesome time  :)

In response to your question, yup, I'm in the JD/MA program, and its basically the reason I'm going (my other top choice was Seton Hall, back in NJ, which offered a very tempting $26k a year, but I'm so interested in international politics that I really couldn't pass up the JD/MA opportunity). I've read a whole lot about the curriculum and have some interesting links. I have to run to class now, but I'll post them later tonight!

Are any of you guys going to be going down to the 'housing conference' in July? Oh, and I'm definitely interested in hearing any tales of the ASD  :)

echolalia

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 12:28:15 PM »
Hah, this might not be the place for us polisci nuts to start it at, but I'm interested to hear what you thought about Singapore from a polisci perspective.
I'm guessing that you are not a local of the area? I'd like to see what a pair of fresh, 'foreign' eyes thinks about SEAsie and S'pore in particular. Were you in the country when Nguyen Tuong Van was executed?

Apologies for the tangent, though, to everyone else. Hopefully this thread won't be hijacked.

LMartinez0205

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 12:54:15 PM »
Hey Guys,
  I've put in my deposit to AU, but I haven't really decided yet.  I'm from NJ and was accepted to Fordham as well, so it's good to be close to home!  Again, not sure yet.  Just glad to have a place to talk about AU.
  I'm also interested in international law, but we'll see how it goes.