Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Giving notice  (Read 2013 times)

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
  • My avatar is hotter than your avatar
    • View Profile
Giving notice
« on: April 23, 2006, 03:25:00 PM »
When are you planning to give notice at work? I was thinking first week of August, now I'm considering mid July.
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

Esq Now

• View Profile
Re: Giving notice
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 08:04:13 PM »
Depends on how much money you have to live off of.  Quit sooner if you can afford it.
Equity is crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.

MD2JD

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 08:35:41 PM »
Did you already tell people at work that you are going to law school?

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 08:36:57 PM »
Right after I get my promotion in mid-June.
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 09:52:59 PM »
Did you already tell people at work that you are going to law school?

No. It's my big secret :)
1L
order in the midst of chaos surrounded by order and a sprinkling of mist with chaos flavor. bake 2 hours then serve

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 10:02:33 PM »
Right after I get my promotion in mid-June.

Heehehe. I'm getting a big promotion + huge pay increase and better office in the next few weeks. If only they knew….
1L

SanchoPanzo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 10:05:56 PM »
Depends on how much money you have to live off of.  Quit sooner if you can afford it.

I'd prefer to work 'til the last minute. For the $$$ and because I'll get bored quickly. I'll be attending law school a few miles from my office so I don't have to worry about moving. I'm just debating how much time to give them. The more time my employer has, the better off they'll be. They’ll have to replace me on a time critical project. If they miss the deadlines, they’ll get fined six figures.
1L

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 09:43:51 AM »
You never know when you are going to need a letter of reference, or to use your connections from this employer to get your post-LS job.  Give them as much notice as possible, and leave them with the "warm fuzzies".  You will be glad you did.

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 09:45:12 AM »
mine is my secret too...i plan on giving 4 weeks notice.  maybe give myself a week off before school if i can afford to. 

now, to do it over the phone or email....  :-\
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 01:14:47 PM »

now, to do it over the phone or email....  :-\

Are you kidding?  You give your notice in person and you also provide a letter.  Neither phone nor email is appropriate. 

To the OP, I guess you need to determine how long they'll let you work there after you give your notice.  If they'll let you stick around as long as you want, then you should give your notice ASAP, especially in light of the project situation you mentioned.  But I've had jobs where you give your notice and they show you the door.  If it is one of those situations, then you really have no choice but to wait until 2 weeks out.  However, I can't help but think that it is entirely disingenuous to accept that promotion you speak of when you plan on skipping out the door in 2-3 months.  I don't know what you should do, but it sounds like a delicate situation that warrants careful consideration.
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?