Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What Makes Us Want To Go To Law School?  (Read 1313 times)

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
What Makes Us Want To Go To Law School?
« on: January 23, 2004, 09:29:53 PM »
What is it that makes us want to go to law school?  We are talking an extra 3 to 4 years of school with several thousands of dollars in debt (several thousands re-emphasized).

I am 32 years old.  I have a great aviation career, two associate's degrees (paralegal studies and business administration) and a bachelor's degree (paralegal studies) to be completed by year's end.  I am a Naval Reservist and most importantly, a single parent.  Why can I not be satisfied with my life as is?  I have always wanted to go to law school though.  I am willing to take three years off from my career and go to law school.  I hope to specialize in aviation law.  There is something that keeps drawing me to law school.  I don't know what it is.

Not to get philosophical here but, what draws you to law school?  I was just wanting to see others opinions.

Thanks!
Christie

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
Re: What Makes Us Want To Go To Law School?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 01:59:42 AM »
PlaneJane(Christie)
I can understand your situation, although I am not a single parent or even a parent I am zipping through my undergradate carreer (in far less time than usual 2.5 years) while three jobs, and married in March 2004 (2 mos. yea!)
To answer your question though, what drew me to law school was far more archival and semantic. Meaning 9 years old. I always wanted to be a criminal lawyer (prosecution for a long time until I woke up to realize my post-lawschool debt as well). Instead of many people with such reasons like a career change, or can't make up my mind what I want to be so I'll be a lawyer. I have "old-school} aspirations if you will.
Thanks for listening. I will continue my path with vigor and congeniality. (more or less). Wish me luck ... I need it!
--Ivy_Hopeful--  (Darrell J-B Duncan
PS. I already have an attorney signature.. hehehe...

Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 11:41:50 AM »
Thanks for replying.  I didn't want to seem sappy or anything.  I just wondered because we have such busy lives already and here we are ready to drop it for law school.  For most of us, it is a dream.  This dream is an expensive one though.

Best of luck to you and I hope you make law school a reality!

Christie

fungoking

• Play me some Buck Owens!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 03:56:20 PM »
I think that's why it's such a noble thing to do, especially when the student is a non-traditional student with real obligations and commitments and the like.

For what its worth, I am not sure I want to devote the entirety of my working life to law, but I have this knacking feeling--after 2 LSATS and a pisspoor first round of applications last year-- that I need to go to law school.  We must want to go for some good reason, because there are too many hardships--self-created and external--that could change our mind.

After "balancing all and bringing all to mind" and still going through the LSATs and application season, I think that means we really want to go to law school, and we're not doing it because its stylish or seen by others as the right thing to do.

I guess its like any other dream.  Any number of things causes the initial excitement of mind, but to progress a dream to realization takes desire.  Perseverance, skill, luck--all that stuff don't mean squat if it ain't sittin' on a want-to.

Good luck in law school.

planejane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2004, 04:03:49 PM »
Well put!

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2004, 06:41:51 PM »
I don't think there is a good reason for going, other than something personal.  I just know I want to go.  I have a Master's degree, and a well paying job in government.  LIfe could be complete, but I'd like to think that there is something about a person that motivates someone to seek more education.  And I have no qualms about being philosophical(sp?) and sappy, or showing my poor spelling skills.

Findedeux

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2004, 10:34:09 PM »
For many people the choice is between graduate school and law school. While the life of a professor is more leisurely and they control their own work (since they get to choose their area of interest), the pay is horrible (assistant prof-40K) and the job market is frightening. Most lawyers can get a job with their JD but PhD's are usually fighting 20 other people for one spot. The attrition rate in graduate school also approaches 60%. All in all, I'd rather be a professor than a lawyer but for most people that is just a dream. Additionally, graduate school is generally only a few thousand less than law school but the average PhD takes 6 years to get.

CarpeDiem

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 01:35:13 PM »
Grad school definately takes too long. agreed.

Ivy_Hopeful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT 141
    • MSN Messenger - dduncan81@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Dduncan81
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - Derryp999
    • View Profile
    • A website that I built and maintain.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 02:52:46 PM »
A PhD can (not in all cases mind you) take as little as 2 years and as much as 10+ years to receive depending on perseverence time allocation and drive to complete. At least that is the average at the UA (University of Arizona)
Winners: Cooley w/$, UDM
Losers: MSU, DePaul, NYLS, UI, Georegtown, WSU, PSU, Kent, Cleavland State, ASU
In Limbo + Purgatory: N/A

Law School Numbers.com

LSD Debut UGPA 3.651 Final UGPA 3.894 / LSAT October 1st, 2005: 141

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 04:41:58 PM »
As someone who dropped out of their Phd program, it is not a practical degree.  I was doing research with little bearing on the world here and now.  I took my Masters degree and am running right to law school, hopefully a degree I can apply to the real world.