Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Official Washington & Lee Class of 2009 thread (W&L)  (Read 4967 times)

Pmass322

• AOL Instant Messenger - Da10ispro322
    • View Profile
Re: Official Washington & Lee Class of 2009 thread (W&L)
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 05:27:45 PM »
also, while there's like a 95% probability that i'll be at W&L in the fall, i'm still on the waitlist at a few places and don't know how long i'm willing to stay on (and what the chances of me getting in off of the WL), but i don't want to decide to live with someone and then screw them over and back out.  so, at this point it seems like i'll probably wait until June to see how things are going.

Sounds like we're in very similar situations, although I'd say I'm about 99% sure that I'll be attending W&L.  I'm on the out-of-state, non-priority, "we're really just putting people on this as a consolation prize," waitlist at UVA, and Cornell's waitlist.  I seriously doubt that I'll get off either waitlist, and I'm not sure if I'd take Cornell over W&L anyway.  I'm not a huge fan of the cold, and I really liked W&L's atmosphere.  I went on an ordinary day, not one of the admitted students weekends, and even then, the student body seemed relatively relaxed and laid back.

As far as housing, though, I will probably wait until late May at the earliest, since I'm currently busy with the end of the semester and in a few weeks will be enjoying all of the graduation festivities.  But a 3-4 BR is also what I am thinking would be best.
W&L Law Class of 2009

Here's how my admission cycle went:
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Pmass322

ljl3y

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2006, 04:56:09 PM »
Hi Team!!!  I'm glad someone started the thread so I can be a follower.  I'm 99% sure it's gonna be W&L for me.  I'm going down w/ my kids n stuff to visit once more next week (thurs-fri, we'll probably be gone by 5/5) to see if my better half can handle the lil ol town.  I am pretty sure it will charm the socks of him, but you never know.  If he hates it there, then I will not be attending, so it's a big decision-making weekend.  (Apparently it's also alumni weekend so the town should be pretty packed-hotels are really hard to book even for Thurs night.)

I was at 3/25.  I can't wait to see everyone again this fall. Is anyone out there currently in the NYC area (or visiting NYC in the next 2 months)?  If so, maybe we can have a little W&L pub night.

Also, anyone who will be at W&L this fall and who also has kids, please feel free to PM me (I hope I'm not the only one!)

Best,
Lara
173/2.97
5 yrs WE NY Law Firm
Non-trad (2 sons)
C'ville-bound!

IN: VIRGINIA (off the WL)!!! Wisconsin($), W&L($), Fordham PT, Richmond($, w/d), UIUC($$, w/d), Cardozo($$, w/d), Miami (w/d), Hastings($, w/d)
OUT:Chicago, NYU, Columbia
WL: Michigan, Emory, Fordham FT, W&M, UT Austin, Vandy

Pmass322

• AOL Instant Messenger - Da10ispro322
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2006, 10:13:15 PM »
I'll be in the NYC area all summer as I'm from Long Island.  Are you also from NY?  If so, it's good to hear another New Yorker will be heading to Lexington next year.
W&L Law Class of 2009

Here's how my admission cycle went:
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Pmass322

calibear

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2006, 12:58:39 PM »
Hey W&Lers...

I got off the waitlist last week and am looking forward to W&L this fall!  What an exciting turn of events. 

At this point, I'm fairly certain that I'll be at W&L unless I get off of one of my top choice school waitlists.

Have been doing some research with W&L alumni in the DC area, and am excited by the opportunity to be at a small school for the first time in my life! (LA Native, Berkeley '03 grad)

Haven't had a chance to make it down to Lexington yet - what did everyone think of the town? Are there good places to hang out and study, relax and unwind, eat?

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2006, 01:14:29 PM »
Congrats Cali!  Good to have you with us.  Also, you're not the only one who's still holding out on a few waitlists - but I'm assuming I'll be there as well and am really looking forward to it.

A bunch of people who post on this board went to one of the two admitted students weekends.  I was expecting to love it and was not disappointed.  It's more of a distinct community than any other law school I've visted - current students seem friendly, smart and happy, and the professors really seemed to care. 

The town - well, there are places to hang out, eat and unwind - there just aren't many of them.  It's a small town, and most people say that the social scene is much more based on hanging out at friends' places than at bars.  This is limiting, but it's also cost-effective and promotes comeraderie among the current students. 

I'd visit for yourself.  Although I've worked in DC and Chicago for the past 6 years, I'm from the area originally, and I think it's an ideal place to attend law school: natural beauty, minimal distractions, great professors.  But not everyone can be happy in a small town.  It'll be tough to get a feel for the place by visiting over the summer though, because the current students and professors are so much more important to the experience than at other places.

Anyway, that's my 2c, feel free to PM me if you have questions, and hope to see you in the fall!
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

monet

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 06:35:43 PM »
does anyone know if there is a mall in lexington? i know i'm being super silly... but gotta get that retail therapy SOMEtimes  :D
Washington & Lee -- 2009

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 06:51:49 PM »
Colonial Mall in Staunton is about 25-30 minutes away, and Valley View Mall in Roanoke looks quite respectable (http://www.valleyviewmall.com); that's about 45-50 minutes from Lex-Vegas . . . but no, there is no mall in town, only a few boutique and artisan shops downtown. 
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

onudelma

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2006, 01:58:33 AM »
Nice to see some W&L '09 chatter on here, thought I'd join in. My story is that I applied on a (free app) whim and I got accepted last year, went to the admitted student weekend, fell in love with the profs and the program (but not the town), and then ended up deferring at almost the last minute due to undergrad burnout.  I worked in Philadelphia as a lowly law clerk for a year, and now I'm ready to get back to academia. I am excited about the small classes and the tight student body, but of course I'm worried about going country-crazy since I've lived in or around a major metropolis for my entire life. It's just strange since I've basically put law school out of my mind for a while and now it's seems like it's right around the corner all of a sudden. 

As far as housing goes, I'm also leaning toward getting in on a 2-4 bedroom law student house as close to campus as possible, so I'm frantically waiting for the admitted student message board to get rolling.  Has anyone had any luck finding a place yet?  Anyone need a housemate (my only reqs are no dogs and no smoking)? I haven't been to Lexington in over a year, but I plan on getting down there either in mid May or early June, I just hope all the good places won't be gone...

Can't wait to meet you all! I mean y'all.
W&L '09

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2006, 09:41:21 AM »
Welcome, always good to have more W&L representation.  You're definitely not alone (as I'm sure you full well realize) on your concerns about the school's rustic location.  But hey, it's only for three years, and you might actually find things you like about living in a small town (air quality, lack of traffic, outdoor stuff, etc.).

Have you checked out the housing listings on the admitted students site?  A few things have been rented, but for the most part it looks like there are still some great options available.  However, somebody (I think it was Sarah Nichols) told me that they open this up to current students in mid-June, and then the places go really quickly. 

Have a good trip down there when you go, and if you can let us know what you think of the housing situation.  I'm in Chicago at the moment, and am not sure when I'll be able to make it back to the area to check it out.

monet

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2006, 02:34:34 PM »
What about the on-campus housing W&L provides? There's a wing especially for law students. The place is called Woods Creek (or something) and directly across from the law school. That means <5min walk... and it's apartment style, not dorm style. You get a full kitchen, private bath, all utilities and internet paid. It doesn't seem too expensive at 2k+ for 2/1 or 2/2 per year. Actually, per 9 months since you can't stay during the summer.

Does anyone know anyone living in or thinking about this?
Washington & Lee -- 2009