Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Official Washington & Lee Class of 2009 thread (W&L)  (Read 4986 times)

IMustBCrazy

• View Profile
Official Washington & Lee Class of 2009 thread (W&L)
« on: April 22, 2006, 04:26:41 PM »
so who else is gonna be joining me down in "Lexvegas" this fall?

i'm looking to Alamo and Evo to start giving this thread some love...

Pmass322

• AOL Instant Messenger - Da10ispro322
    • View Profile
Re: Official Washington & Lee Class of 2009 thread (W&L)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 06:45:02 PM »
I'll be there.  Anyone know what they're doing for housing?  I am thinking it'd be cool to rent a 3-4BR house with a few other 1L's.
W&L Law Class of 2009

Here's how my admission cycle went:
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Pmass322

IMustBCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 08:18:09 PM »
yeah, i'm thinking either a house or an apt. with a couple roommates.  i would go insane if i lived by myself.  i'm thinking something not too far from the school.  although, apparently you don't need to be in walking distance to the bars since they have that Traveler service.

my parents were thinking of buying a house and then renting it to me for law school, but i'm not sure if this is going to work or not because most of the houses in Lex are too old (and would required maintenance) or too expensive for what they were looking for. 

Pmass322

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 11:49:44 PM »
What's the Traveler service?
W&L Law Class of 2009

IMustBCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 12:18:18 AM »
What's the Traveler service?

it's a sober driving service that is run through the undergradute university (named after Robert E. Lee's horse which is buried by the chapel).  basically it's a van driven by a W&L student that will shuttle you around town at night FOR FREE.  i'm not sure if it is just on the weekends or throughout the week as well.

i'm assuming you weren't there for one of the admitted students' weekends or you were and just didn't go to the bars.  but we were using it then and the shuttle drivers knew we were just prospective law students and didn't seem to care and even drove us out of town to our hotel.  it was funny because the Assistant Director of Admissions, Sarah Nichols, was handing out the phone number for Traveler as we were walking out of the door to go to the bars.

it's my understanding that the service is designed to drive people anywhere around town, but students also told me that they could usually get the drivers to drive them to their houses a little further away if they were nice and usually threw the driver a couple buck$. 

pretty sweet deal i'd say...

Evo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Miami Skyline
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 11:40:00 AM »
I'll be there.  Anyone know what they're doing for housing?  I am thinking it'd be cool to rent a 3-4BR house with a few other 1L's.
good question... I enjoy having apartment-mates in undergrad, but im not so sure about about getting random people, so ive kind of been leaning towards a single.  But now im a bit undecided b/c, it really adds up if u live by yourself since you're not just paying rent by yourself, but internet, cable, utilities, etc.

This is just extra hard since im not gonna be able to go down to lex for a while, and i really dont wanna rent an apartment blind.

btw, if you guys didnt know, housing listings are up on the admitted students website.
University of Virginia '09

Pmass322

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 11:46:59 AM »
Yeah, I didn't get to go to either of the admitted students day.  I had stuff to do at my undergrad school on both weekends; I just ended up visiting on an ordinary weekday.  Anyway, that Traveler service sounds really cool.  Thanks for letting me know about it.
W&L Law Class of 2009

Pmass322

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 12:06:21 PM »
good question... I enjoy having apartment-mates in undergrad, but im not so sure about about getting random people, so ive kind of been leaning towards a single.  But now im a bit undecided b/c, it really adds up if u live by yourself since you're not just paying rent by yourself, but internet, cable, utilities, etc.

This is just extra hard since im not gonna be able to go down to lex for a while, and i really dont wanna rent an apartment blind.

btw, if you guys didnt know, housing listings are up on the admitted students website.

Yeah, I hear ya.  I was thinking about a 1BR apartment for the first year too, but then I started having second thoughts.  I'm living in a fraternity house right now and generally like it.  It's a great environment for senior year of undergrad.  It's not right for the first year of law school, but at the same time, I don't know if I can go from a fraternity house to a lonely 1BR apartment.  Also, the financial aspect comes in to play: it would be significantly more expensive to get a 1BR.

I also have the problem of not being able to get down to Lexington for a while, but one of the W&L students I talked to said that lots of people found roommates after the incoming students message board was opened (which happens sometime in early June) and had no problem finding nice places as late as mid-July.
W&L Law Class of 2009

IMustBCrazy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 01:05:23 PM »
FYI: someone already tried to start a W&L housing thread but it hasn't gotten much attention yet. 

Pmass, i'm pretty much in the same boat as you.  i'm living with my fraternity now and can't really see myself going from that to living alone next year.  right now i'm actually thinking a 3BR would be nice...

also, while there's like a 95% probability that i'll be at W&L in the fall, i'm still on the waitlist at a few places and don't know how long i'm willing to stay on (and what the chances of me getting in off of the WL), but i don't want to decide to live with someone and then screw them over and back out.  so, at this point it seems like i'll probably wait until June to see how things are going.

i have the benefit, though, of only living 3.5 hrs from Lex, so i can head there pretty easily to look at/rent a place. 

Evo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Miami Skyline
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 01:10:55 PM »
us LSDers should def meet up at some point, and see if living together would be an option.  I'm def interested in a 2-4 bedroom place if you find something good IMustbecrazy.  btw, which admitted students weekend did you goto (maybe i met you already?)
University of Virginia '09