Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What should I do?

Go to Thomas Jefferson?
 2 (8.7%)
Go to Florida Coastal?
 3 (13%)
Re-take the LSAT and apply again for next year?
 13 (56.5%)
Go to either school and plan on transferring after a year?
 5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: TJ vs. FCSL vs. Waiting another year  (Read 1034 times)

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
Re: TJ vs. FCSL vs. Waiting another year
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2006, 10:18:44 PM »
It is somewhat foolish to assume that you will be at the top of your class and in a great position to transfer. 

Why does every1 f*cking say this?  I mean top 25% at either school puts you in good position to transfer and there has to be somebody up there - oh yes, a quarter of the student body!!!

Confidence is bliss.
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

cheesesteak

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2006, 10:43:16 PM »
It is somewhat foolish to assume that you will be at the top of your class and in a great position to transfer. 

Why does every1 f*cking say this?  I mean top 25% at either school puts you in good position to transfer and there has to be somebody up there - oh yes, a quarter of the student body!!!

Confidence is bliss.

I f*cking said it because everyone at the law school you are attending should be as intelligent/talented/driven(except the high LSAT/low GPA splitters) as you are.  If 100% of your classmates are striving to do well, is it reasonable to assume that you will have a better rank/GPA than 90% of them, or 75% of them, or even 50% of them? Half of the class HAS to be in the bottom 50%, think about it.  I think it is more about reality than about confidence.  What I didn't say was that this guy won't be at the top of his class.  I said it is somewhat foolish to assume that he will in fact be at the top of his class. 

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2006, 10:50:23 PM »
nah, not TJ. Whittier a while ago tho.And to the original poster, if your job area isnt negotiable, im not sure why you'd want to go to school in florida or cali for 3 years. would your fiance move with you? to be honest, if your that confident in your abilities, uses them to study for the lsat and rock it and then reapply in the fall. if you get a 155 and you have a good shot at NYLS or hofstra or quinnipiac or western new england or new england law or roger williams. Those all are about on the same level as the other two schools and theyre all within 0-90min drive of nyc area, no real point moving that far away for school if you have to stay there. definitly reapply to other schools that are closer. dont settle for those two

Buuut, you have to think about the fact that those schools have a higher tuition than florida, and with it's standard $5k a semester scholarship, florida is looking like a better deal especially for me and what I want to accomplish with my law degree. :-\

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2006, 10:51:53 PM »

Confidence is bliss.

I f*cking said it because everyone at the law school you are attending should be as intelligent/talented/driven(except the high LSAT/low GPA splitters) as you are.  If 100% of your classmates are striving to do well, is it reasonable to assume that you will have a better rank/GPA than 90% of them, or 75% of them, or even 50% of them? Half of the class HAS to be in the bottom 50%, think about it.  I think it is more about reality than about confidence.  What I didn't say was that this guy won't be at the top of his class.  I said it is somewhat foolish to assume that he will in fact be at the top of his class. 

Um, I'm a girl :P

Patrick Fitzgerald

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2006, 11:15:07 PM »
Dude, the public interest field in NYC is extremely competitive. If you're serious, I'd take a year off and throw an app into CUNY. It's cheap and actually has a suprisingly good reputation in the NYC public interest community. I know many public defenders and ADAs (even 1 AUSA) who went to CUNY.

Even if you finished 1st in your class at FCSL you'd most likely be out of luck securing any PI job in NYC.

cheesesteak

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2006, 11:19:48 PM »

Confidence is bliss.

Well in that case none of the above opinion applies and I am sure you will be first in your class, on law review, etc. 

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 08:05:41 AM »
Dude, the public interest field in NYC is extremely competitive. If you're serious, I'd take a year off and throw an app into CUNY. It's cheap and actually has a suprisingly good reputation in the NYC public interest community. I know many public defenders and ADAs (even 1 AUSA) who went to CUNY.

Even if you finished 1st in your class at FCSL you'd most likely be out of luck securing any PI job in NYC.

How can this be when I see soo many underprivileged/low income people who make poor decisions due to lack of representation.  I'm not talking about the high glamour PI jobs, I'm talking about the underpaid, will pay off your student loans PI jobs.

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 08:07:05 AM »

Confidence is bliss.

Well in that case none of the above opinion applies and I am sure you will be first in your class, on law review, etc. 
Just saying is all :P

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 11:13:14 AM »
Sooooo, it looks like the consensus is to re-take and apply next year. :-\

Patrick Fitzgerald

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 01:26:51 PM »

How can this be when I see soo many underprivileged/low income people who make poor decisions due to lack of representation.  I'm not talking about the high glamour PI jobs, I'm talking about the underpaid, will pay off your student loans PI jobs.

dood, T14 people get turned down all the time from these jobs. You really need a Tier 1 or 2, or a solid regional school to even have a shot.