Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What should I do?

Go to Thomas Jefferson?
 2 (8.7%)
Go to Florida Coastal?
 3 (13%)
Re-take the LSAT and apply again for next year?
 13 (56.5%)
Go to either school and plan on transferring after a year?
 5 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: TJ vs. FCSL vs. Waiting another year  (Read 1020 times)

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
TJ vs. FCSL vs. Waiting another year
« on: April 22, 2006, 04:11:43 PM »
Since I didn't get into Seton Hall  :'( and I didn't apply to other schools, I got scared and applied to Thomas Jefferson and Florida Coastal.  Those two have accepted me now my dilemma is, while I have NO interest in practicing big law when I graduate, I want to go into public interest, I will need to practice law in NJ.  Sooo how hard will it be for me to find a public interest job in NJ if I'm graduating from not so great schools in California or Florida.

Should I attend Thomas Jefferson, Florida Coastal, or wait and apply to more schools for next year?  I was also thinking I could go to either school and transfer out after a year but that's not definite so I need to go into this with worse case scenario which is I'm stuck at the school for 3 years.  Any advice would be great, thanks.

FYI: 150-lsat, 3.25GPA

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
Re: TJ vs. FCSL vs. Waiting another year
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 07:09:10 PM »
anyone, anyone, bueller :-\

scottyd1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • I'm a MySpace Whore
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 07:50:51 PM »
Re-take the LSAT and give it another shot next year. It'd be VERY difficult to get a public interest job in New Jersey (niche) from two schools that aren't even reputable within their respective regions. I have a friend who is, at the moment, going to Thomas Jefferson only because it's in San Diego...and will immediately take a spot off the waitlist at any of the other schools he applied to (Gonzaga, Willamette, Oregon, etc.).
UGPA: 3.4, 3.9 last 3 years
LSAT: 163
B.A.: University of Nevada
Majors: History/Poli Sci

Dates: DePaul ($$), San Francisco ($$), Temple, Villanova, Cincinnati ($$), Pacific ($$), Loyola Marymount, San Diego

Friends: Loyola-Chicago, UC-Davis

Rejections: None

Fiancee: American

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2006, 08:41:26 PM »
Get started, don't count on a second LSAT. It may be a mere 2pts higher....not a big help any yet a waste of a full year. Law School is what you make of it.

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 08:45:56 PM »
Thanks for the input so far.  anymore, anymore, bueller.

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 02:47:42 PM »
 :'(

Jmart603

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2006, 06:48:39 PM »
Depends, how much do you think you can improve your LSAT score. If you can get it up to a 158 or so, you should have a very good shot at hofstra and seton hall, and maybe rutgers if your a NJ resident. Apply to part time programs also, easier to get into and you probably can transfer to ft if you want. If you want to go to school now, Id defintly go with TJ. Theres just something about a for-profit law school that makes me cringe when I think of Florida Coastal. They accept everybody with like a 148 lsat and up, so it doesnt have a good rep at all,kinda like a u of pheonix if u ask me, though it somehows has okay bar numbers. TJ isnt amazing, but its not completly terrible, if you do well you could probably transfer to Cal Western or USD or even maybe back east if you do real well. And also, theres no question that it would be much nicer to spend 3 years in san diego than jacksonville. To be honest, from what you said, I'd just go with TJ now. You may end up liking san diego any way and transfer if you do well. i wouldnt bother waiting another year. TJ's 91.4% employment rate aint that bad either

Considering_Law

• View Profile
    • One Woman's Quest
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2006, 07:12:23 PM »
The job area is a non-negotiable.  I HAVE to get a  job in NJ or NY or surrounding area.  My fiance is NOT moving away from NJ.  Sooo, I just need to know how feasible it would be for me to get a job in Jersey, now like I said I want to do public interest, ya know an attorney for low-income underprivileged people, nothing high class or glamour filled.  What's the likelihood I could get that if I graduate from a school in florida or california?  I am confident in my abilities and know that I'm gonna graduate at the top of my class but will that be enough to offset the perceived negative features of TJ or FCSL? :-\

cheesesteak

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 07:17:53 PM »
I have a good friend who is a 2L at TJ.  He told me that in the first year the school trys to weed out those who shouldn't be there.  It is very competitive.  Everyone is trying to be at the top of the class.  There is a forced curve.  Few people get A's.  I am confident in your abilities too, but I am also confident in the abilities of the other students as well.  It is somewhat foolish to assume that you will be at the top of your class and in a great position to transfer.  Don't go to TJ before researching their alumni network and interviewing programs on the east coast, specifically NY/NJ.  As a side note, did the ABA put TJ on probation or is that a rumor?

Jmart603

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2006, 09:42:32 PM »
nah, not TJ. Whittier a while ago tho.And to the original poster, if your job area isnt negotiable, im not sure why you'd want to go to school in florida or cali for 3 years. would your fiance move with you? to be honest, if your that confident in your abilities, uses them to study for the lsat and rock it and then reapply in the fall. if you get a 155 and you have a good shot at NYLS or hofstra or quinnipiac or western new england or new england law or roger williams. Those all are about on the same level as the other two schools and theyre all within 0-90min drive of nyc area, no real point moving that far away for school if you have to stay there. definitly reapply to other schools that are closer. dont settle for those two