Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Someone tell me why they are going to Georgia State  (Read 979 times)

gt_ee

• View Profile
Someone tell me why they are going to Georgia State
« on: April 22, 2006, 03:38:52 PM »
I visited their campus a few weeks ago and was thoroughly disappointed.  Right now the only thing keeping them at the top of my list is location, economics, and ranking (relative to my other options). 

- The campus is pathetic.
- Classrooms are the most low-tech of any schools I've visited.
- Facilities are in need of serious renovation.
- No wireless internet throughout the law schoool.  Are we still in the 90's?
- The law building is shared with other schools
- Have you seen their law library? (no need to elaborate)
- Inner-city location that is completely open to whatever.   

Opinions from anyone planning to attend Georgia State this fall (or current students) are appreciated. 
Attending: GA State
Accepted: Ole Miss, South Carolina, Mercer, Samford, FSU, Tennesse
Denied: GMU, UGA, Alabama

yellowdaisy

• View Profile
Re: Someone tell me why they are going to Georgia State
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2006, 09:54:43 AM »
Are you sure you were at GSU? The whole law school building is wireless. Most of the classrooms have outlets in the tables. The whole school is being renovated to be completed in 2008 I think. I love the school. The faculty and students are extremely friendly and enthusiastic about their school. True, the school is downtown, so if you're looking for some kind of pastoral experience it probalby isn't for you but the value and reputation of the school at least in state makes it a great place to get an education.

gt_ee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 02:25:14 PM »
Are you sure you were at GSU? The whole law school building is wireless. Most of the classrooms have outlets in the tables. The whole school is being renovated to be completed in 2008 I think. I love the school. The faculty and students are extremely friendly and enthusiastic about their school. True, the school is downtown, so if you're looking for some kind of pastoral experience it probalby isn't for you but the value and reputation of the school at least in state makes it a great place to get an education.

Ok, well the outlets at all the tables threw me off about the existence of wireless - that's a relief.  My UG was Ga Tech, so I know what inner city college is like.  However, the openness of the campus (if you can even call it a campus) is very different from what I'm used to.  Did you find the law library facilities acceptable?  Library staff friendly?  Where else do students go between classes to study?  I agree that it is an exceptional value and that GSU has an excellent in-state reputation.  I'm just trying to get myself little more excited about it.  Thanks for your input! 
Attending: GA State
Accepted: Ole Miss, South Carolina, Mercer, Samford, FSU, Tennesse
Denied: GMU, UGA, Alabama

Dunson II

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 03:13:30 PM »
"because I couldn't get into Emory"

yellowdaisy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 06:03:51 PM »
My only complaint about the library is that it's kind of dark and cave like. I think the staff is very helpful. a lot of students hang out in the atrium near the 1L classrooms or on the 2nd floor near the vending machines. They're building a real lounge on the 6th floor.

Dunson II

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 06:04:36 PM »
My only complaint about the library is that it's kind of dark and cave like. I think the staff is very helpful. a lot of students hang out in the atrium near the 1L classrooms or on the 2nd floor near the vending machines. They're building a real lounge on the 6th floor.

That was the law review secret council room that you uncovered.  Did you see Walt Disney's head in the jar?  Pretty cool, huh?