Law School Discussion

Anyone Studying for the LSAT?

jiggedyjared

Re: Anyone Studying for the LSAT?
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 08:20:36 AM »
I'd suggest (if you haven't signed up for it yet) to just plan on taking the October LSAT.  There's no reason to rush it. 

As far as studying, if you aren't going to do a course (which, again, I recommend), I'd say do an hour a day with games or whatever and take a practice test once a week - saturday morning maybe.  Timed practice tests are the key.

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 08:28:36 AM »
Hmmm.  I've already registered for June, but I think I might change my test date based on this advice.  This won't reflect poorly, will it?

I'm planning on doing the evening program at Seattle University, and since I really can't move, I've only got one option.  Therefore, I've got to make myself a lock to get in.  This involves acing the LSAT, beefing up the resume with interesting volunteer activities, etc.  Hopefully the extra few months will make a big difference.

Thanks,
Bill

jiggedyjared

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 08:38:12 AM »
I don't know about moving the date of the LSAT.  It's been too long since I took it to remember the procedures for that.  Check the website.  I'm sure it'll tell you if you can.  If you're ready for it, take the June one.  I don't know of any schools that don't accept the October LSAT for early admissions.  However, I've also heard that you truly are NOT at any kind of advantage by applying early.  If you're borderline, they'll defer you either way. 

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 09:45:07 AM »
I think there is a fee that you have to pay to change your LSAT date and there may be limitations on when you are allowed to change it, but I don't remember. I don't think it reflects badly on you, though. I'm not sure the law schools would even know about the date change. I think (though I'm not sure) that they would just receive your score from the October test. However, do not just skip the June test without officially changing your date. I think that does show up in the report to law schools and looks bad. This is all just what I remember from the top of my head, so I'm not sure about it. I would suggest double checking on the LSAC website. HTH.

NClawdad

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 09:02:43 PM »
I have a 13 month old and just took the June test. Given the rarity of 3 hour blocks, I took advantage of them whenever I could, averaging about 2 tests a week for 12 weeks. I got up early, hours before work, and took them at a coffee shop. Someone mentioned the pacing, technique, and I agree, I had to develop a method breaking the sections into 8 1/2 minute intervals, in case my daughter woke up and I had to go get her. Effective pacing benefited me greatly. I won't know my score for another two weeks, but I was able to finish every section, with little more than a minute to spare.

My key phrase through this whole process:  Making the difficult a routine... you will be alot more confident when sitting in a room full of type A strangers taking an obscenely painful test, if you have forced yourself to become a little more type A. Good luck to you and my hat is off for you pursuing this path with your inherent challenges.

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2006, 06:08:59 PM »
I am studying for the Dec 2006 LSAT. I am a wife and mom of 5. I found my best study time is in the morning about 5:30 or putting them in front of a learning movie ie. we have just started "signing time" kids sign videos which we all love while I study. Also at Kaplan here in Dayton Ohio they offer free practice tests on Wed.for the LSAT. Timing is standard like the actual test . Maybe they offer those in your town too. Hope this helps. Be encouraged. We established people will make great lawyers too and we will be made stronger and better because we have overcome great obstacles . The greater the obstacle the greater the triumph.