Law School Discussion

lsatismylifenow

« on: April 21, 2006, 12:49:44 PM »

Dunson II

Re: Eagle Scout
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 12:57:09 PM »
Yeah it could help, my cousin got a sweet job for having Eagle Scout on his resume (the employer was an old Eagle Scout too and I think this is how it would most benefit you, which is serendiptitiously, but worth a shot).
 13 is young, good for you. 

Happy_Weasel

• Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 02:19:50 PM »
I think so. I got it too, but I still got a lot of soft factor dings. Then again, I was 17 when I got mine.

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 10:00:16 AM »
I was 15 when I got mine. I always put it on applications. It should be somewhat of a testament to your character, however I'm not sure that I would base my entire PS on it, especially if you got it so young...wait, don't you have to be at least 14 to get it? How did you get it at 13? Anyway, it is always something good to have, but I don't think its as impressive as it used to be. I would be more inclined to discuss what you discovered about yourself in the process of getting the eagle, or how getting it has made you who you are today. But since you got it early a criticism you may want to anticipate is that some people may think there was some strong parental involvement there. Thirteen is young, especially for an eagle scout. Most kids get it at 16-17.

I will put it on my LS apps though.

krumanadi

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:17:13 AM »
I'm beginning to think eagle scout isnt so rare..;)

SouthSide

• Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 10:57:44 AM »
I went to one Boy Scout meeting and was kind of weirded out by the uniforms and salutes and pledges and things. So I never went back. Proud to be in the 96%.

defeatist

• trust, but verify
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 11:46:41 AM »
I was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout for years, and very active, but I won't associate myself today with any organizations which work to exclude atheists, agnostics, and homosexuals. Some of my best friends are one or more.

defeatist

• trust, but verify
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 12:28:11 PM »
There's a huge difference between associating oneself with an organization and participating in it or even supporting their discrimination. I don't support their policy on gays, but I am nonetheless proud to be an Eagle Scout, because that's an achievement of my own that had nothing to do with their belief system.

With respect to positions limited to professional Scouters or, because of their close relationship to the mission of Scouting, positions limited to registered members of the Boy Scouts of America, acceptance of the Declaration of Religious Principle, the Scout Oath, and the Scout Law is required.  Accordingly, in the exercise of their constitutional right to bring the values of Scouting to youth members, the Boy Scouts of America will not employ atheists, agnostics, known or avowed homosexuals, or others as professional Scouters or in other capacities in which such employment would tend to interfere with the mission of reinforcing the values of the Scout Oath and the Scout Law in young people.

(from the BSA's own site)

There's no way that I could be proud of an award these bigots gave me, no matter how hard I worked for it. However, if you choose to tout or otherwise celebrate your association with a group that pushes the above load of crap, it's your business. You should be aware, though, that you'll be judged by the company that you keep.

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 12:31:48 PM »
I was a Cub Scout and a Boy Scout for years, and very active, but I won't associate myself today with any organizations which work to exclude atheists, agnostics, and homosexuals. Some of my best friends are one or more.

Yeah, I never got that. When I was in school, the Boy Scouts were the gayest thing you could do. Go figure.

krumanadi

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 01:07:13 PM »
it's not a hard thing to separate individual achievement with endorsement of a discriminatory policy.

How is this not hard?  (Sorry to drop in, it piqued my interest.)

Was just thinking the same thing... It seems to me that would be very hard..