FSU

*shell*

• FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shellrae007
    • View Profile
    • Email
FSU
« on: April 21, 2006, 11:04:45 AM »
Getting ready for my roadtrip to Tallahassee tomorrow...going to see the sites, check out the school and some apartments, and enjoy the warm weather.  Going down with 2 friends and my brother in a nice rental car, driving the 22 hours straight...this has adventure written all over it!

IvanTrbl

• ouch?
    • View Profile
Re: FSU
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:47:05 PM »
Getting ready for my roadtrip to Tallahassee tomorrow...going to see the sites, check out the school and some apartments, and enjoy the warm weather.  Going down with 2 friends and my brother in a nice rental car, driving the 22 hours straight...this has adventure written all over it!

22 hour drive.. yikes!!!  You're a braver person than i am, but i'm sure you'll have a great time.  My visit was an adventure to say the least.  Be sure to write a review when you get back.  The only thing I can think to recommend is that if you're going to get a hotel, stay at the Holiday Inn on West Tennessee street.  You'll be able to pregame in the room and walk a short distance to the bars. I'm off to getting wasted myself.  Cheers!     

*shell*

• FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 07:48:48 PM »
well i have giftcerts for best western so ill be stayin there...dont worry, you'll get a full review.  btw, im set on FSU...even if by some miracle i get into Wisconsin, im still pretty sure ill be in Florida next fall

IvanTrbl

• ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 05:05:23 PM »
back yet?

Terabithia

• Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 08:18:12 PM »
baff

*shell*

• FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 03:40:23 PM »
just got back...completely roadlagged.....will fill everyone in soon

*shell*

• FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2006, 08:33:08 AM »
my review of FSU and Tallahassee:

Alright, so going down to FL i was 99% on FSU, i mean, waitlists might as well be rejections, and the only Boston school I  had left to hear from was Suffolk.  Tho i still havent heard from Wisconsin or Indi-Bloom, Im pretty sure im a reject there too.... so, i was hellbent on falling in love with this school.  Got down there Sunday, weather was mad hot and wicked humid....but hey, im coming from 40 degrees and rainy, so it was a nice change.  checked into the hotel, got some rest, and prepared to check housing monday...had a bunch of appts set up.  Situation is as follows:  myself and my 2 roommates are moving down, as well as one of their GFs, so we're looking for a 4br (need a guest room/office) house.  They won't be students, at least not at first....didn't think this would be so strange to landlords there, but the whole city is set up for students, which has some positives, but for housing, a ton of minuses....
  The housing situation looked awful.  Most buildings and complexes were relatively new, and all the same.  Bedrooms the size of closets, teeny kitchens, lousy areas, etc.  After looking at 10+ places Monday, i was begining to freak the @#!* out.  i saw no place i would be willing to live...pretty frustrating.  I mean, im 23, I've been living on my own or with roommates for the past 5 years, in nice apartments, with my name on the lease...and these people were telling me that I need a guarantor (ie, my parents have to cosign my lease!!!)....which is hilarious since i got my dad his last apartment, not vice versa. 
  So i wake up Tuesday morning and decide to take a tour of the law school.  FSU was right in the middle of everything, so i had driven around the campus, but not through it until Tuesday.  Had to ask a couple of people where the law school was, everyone was really friendly and I didnt have a problem getting there.  The building was right next to the civic center, and right across from the FL supreme court...nice!  There was a tiny lot for the law school, but it was gated and full so i parked at the civic center.  no one was at the little booth, so i got to park free, apparently its usually 3 bux to park there per day. 
  walked into the building, which was nice, well maintained, etc etc, headed up to admissions.  i had called before i went to see if they had any tours, and they told me they didnt since it was finals week and whatnot, but that i should stop by and someone would take me around.  so they found someone to take me around who didnt go to the school, he works there and had never given a tour before, but did alright.  the entire school is in one building, with the exception of a few houses on the quad type area in front of the school which hold law review, offices, child advocacy center, and a few other things.  for the most part you're in the one building, which works for me since it was nice and the AC was blasting.  Big classrooms, the mock courtroom was gorgeous, the library had tons of study space and natural lighting...and it was really not what i expected for finals week, supposedly the most crowded library time and it was relatively empty.  the school was nice, but i kept comparing it to boston in my head, which made it more of an "alright" than an "awesome" for me. 
  the placement office seemed really helpful, actually everyone seemed really friendly and helpful...my only concern was being able to find a job outside of FL after graduation, which can be done, but i'll be spending a lot of time with the placement director and doing a lot of work on my own.
  the curve seems brutal...i mean, the idea of a curve, a C curve, is that you're not trying to do your best, you're trying to do better than everyone else, but the students i talked to said the atmosphere is competitive but "not cut-throat"...considering that ill need to be top of my class and get law review to get the kind of job i want, i see myself as a gunner going into it, something i never thought i would be, but im going to have to do what it takes to get where i need to be.  we'll see how it all works out.
  so i went back to the hotel freaked out and ready to just go to suffolk.  i don't like the south...for personal reasons, and i just wasnt feeling it to the point that i was like, let me hear from the other schools and ill decide later, but i dont want to go here.  i went from being 99% on FSU to being 20% on FSU in a matter of 24 hours.  Got back to my hotel, talked to my friends, my dad, etc, and got a call from my friends GF, who was house/catsitting....i had mail....from asu and suffolk.  a reject from asu and a waitlist from suffolk....i was flipping out.  now i felt pushed out of boston, very frustrating, and unexpected.  hit the housing search again, found a gorgeous house the next day, took it.  put my seat deposit down, realized i had gotten cold feet and that for some reason, i have to go to FSU, its just meant to be...there's more to the story and the sudden turnaround, but my fingers are getting tired of typing.

oh, and everything there is wicked cheap!  the bars have great deals and the nightlife seems cool, even tho iprobley wont have time for it. 

so there ya have it, my review...any questions?  im sure im leaving something out. 

cesco

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 07:10:54 PM »
I'm a huge believer in the "everything happens for a reason" theory - something is pulling you towards FSU!  You will be happy there - studying in December in short sleeves vs. freezing up in Boston.  Good Luck!

*shell*

• FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 07:12:12 PM »
thanks, i hope so

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2006, 10:45:50 AM »
Its understandable that you felt the way you initially did.  I was expecting a city when I visited and instead found Tally to be more town-like.  Parts were albeit kinda run-down looking.  However, I have a friend at the ug level there and after he showed me around the campus and town, I felt much better about spending 3 yrs there.

Unfortunately, I was put on Hold, and have received acceptances from UF and UMiami, so im going to one of those.  Im new to this FL rivalry stuff, so ill hold off on talking *&^% until next yr. haha