Law School Discussion

in the DARK on DARFUR!

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
in the DARK on DARFUR!
« on: April 20, 2006, 11:26:39 PM »
In the dark on Darfur

by Stanley Crouch

Black leaders need to shine a light -- and raise a ruckus

The situation in the Sudanese region of Darfur, where more than 2 million people have been displaced due to violence and some 400,000 have thus far died, forces us to look at the lack of interest or discussion of an ongoing genocidal operation imposed on black Africans by Arab Muslims. Our civil rights establishment, which might have shouted itself hoarse, has been remarkably quiet, or at least they have made very little noise of the sort that draws a crowd of people from the media.
Some say that these people are trying to protect the reputation of Africa and not scare off investors, as if money alone would remove the threats of brutality. In fact, brutality is part of Africa's business right now. No matter how well one documents the past and all of its injustice, the colonial horrors of that continent have either been equaled or excelled by the military dictatorships and the buffoons in charge ever since. Clowns like Idi Amin would be comical if they weren't so given to murder, rape and torture. We all remember the roads filled with corpses in Rwanda, and we have seen one story after another about the sex slaves of tribal leaders and revolutionary armies.

Those who take a look at the many articles written about Sudan will find that there is growing criticism of black Americans.

Critics find it strange that people who were so interested in the fates of Africans when European powers could be blamed have become rather quiet since the criminals in charge of the murder and the corruption are now black and homegrown.

Africans see these butchers more as the criminals they are than as affirmations of racist stereotypes. In America, however, we still have far too many black people in positions of influence who see the whole situation as a public relations nightmare. One would think these people work for travel agencies rather than civil rights organizations or the Congressional Black Caucus.

This is more than a little disappointing because it means that there are two standards for bad conduct: one for the white people and one for the black people. If the white people mistreat, kidnap, rape and murder, then raise enough noise to wake sleeping angels. Get the petitions going, organize the marches, keep the press focused on the problem and demand that the United States cease whatever its economic relationship with the offending country might be. Get loud and make demands. Wake people up. Inform them.

It is a sad thing to see people abused and murdered by Arabs who look upon black Africans in a racist way and have since the heydays of the slave trade. Perhaps American black politicians and civil rights leaders do not know that and have bought into a vision of Third World brotherhood, meaning that all "people of color" should stick together and stay on the white man's case. Anything else would confuse the issue.

I think it is time to confuse the issue and stand up for human rights, if one actually believes in them. That may create some noise, but you always hear hollering when a light is turned on in a room where everyone is accustomed to darkness.

Originally published on April 13, 2006

petitschoque

Re: in the DARK on DARFUR!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 07:43:40 PM »
On second thought, forget it.

redemption

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2006, 02:15:53 PM »
Oh

JamesD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2006, 03:13:59 PM »
That's a pretty poorly written article.  Disjointed.  Doesn't really flesh anything out.  Here I was, expecting to find something really worth reading....  I'm actually a volunteer consultant to one of the Darfur Action Groups.  So I'm always interested in reading any new information; discussing the specifics; etc...

petitschoque

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2006, 03:17:59 PM »
Care to explain what is disjointed and poorly written about it?

redemption

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2006, 03:36:57 PM »
The premises are all wrong

1. Darfur is not Arab vs Black
2. Black Americans don't have a special responsibility toward the Sudanese in Darfur
3. The colonial horrors have been equaled or excelled by the military dictatorships since? No - not quite.

In any case, newspapers - and especially editorials - are very poor sources of accurate information.

Better alternatives include:
http://conconflicts.ssrc.org/hornofafrica/dewaal/
and
http://conconflicts.ssrc.org/hornofafrica/ambiguous_genocide/

Framing the issue in this way - that black Americans have a special responsibility to lobby for action - is, I think we all know, a sure way to ensure that the issue becomes stigmatized. Seen as a black issue, rather than as a human issue, who believes that the United States, say, would act then? Surely not even Stanley Crouch. It makes one wonder at his motives - other than simply the need to churn out some rubbish so that he can meet a deadline.

More instructive is the negotiation of the truce between North and South, and its mediation by the United States. It was not the black American lobby that pushed for that, but the Christian lobby.

Anyway, there are other problems with it, but I am too lazy to go on.

DJ Shadowolf

• DJ Shadowolf- Mixing at JHOP Studios
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2006, 09:44:26 AM »
Thanks Red for the link. This could help me with my work. 

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2006, 12:29:25 PM »
Stanley Crouch has been an idiot for a very long time now.  That is all.

redemption

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2006, 12:52:41 PM »
Good link, JD.

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 12:10:55 AM »
Stanley Crouch has been an idiot for a very long time now.  That is all.

:D :D :D :D...if you build it... ;)