Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Advantages of staying "in state"  (Read 404 times)

gt_ee

• View Profile
Advantages of staying "in state"
« on: April 21, 2006, 12:03:03 AM »
I visited GA State a few weeks ago and was very unimpressed.  From harrassing bums on the sidewalk to trashy buildings/classrooms & low-tech facilities, I was absolutely appalled.  Granted, their in-state tuition is about as cheap as it gets - but something has to be said for quality of experience right?  I was initially leaning towards Samford because I know a lot of people there AND their campus (library, law school, integrated technology) are top notch (not to mention all the undergrad eye-candy). But law school isn't about an experience, it's about an education - or at least I'm trying to convince myself of that.  I have heard it's very difficult finding employment in a different state than your law school.  Anyway, I suppose I will reluctantly take the economic, more convenient option in lieu of a fun, friendly, higher quality atmosphere.  I wish I had never visited Samford - they obviously have more money than they know what to do with, and those Birmingham folks know how to roll out the welcome mat.  Staying in Atlanta has it's advantages though, so hopefully I can get past the runned-down look.  I've got until June to decide. 
Attending: GA State
Accepted: Ole Miss, South Carolina, Mercer, Samford, FSU, Tennesse
Denied: GMU, UGA, Alabama

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Advantages of staying "in state"
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 12:19:26 AM »
I have gotten a lot of feedback on GA State and everyone seems to be happy w/the school.  I am an out of stater and visited just recently.  I felt the exact same way you did - the school itself was very unimpressive.  Because I am out of state and don't have the the amazing tuition I have decided to withdraw.

However, I would say that no one I spoke with (either there or before hand through LSD/LSN) seemed unhappy w/their decision to attend.

I'd try to talk w/current students and get their feedback on the education.  You may be able to get past the yucky building if the rest of the experience will be positive. Downtown ATL offers great resources.

On the other hand, if you are completely uncomfortable there, absolutely go to Samford.  In the longrun/overall scheme of life the money will work itself out.  Dont convince yourself to go somewhere you wont be happy for a few $$.
2L

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 12:20:28 AM »
I visited GA State a few weeks ago and was very unimpressed.  From harrassing bums on the sidewalk to trashy buildings/classrooms & low-tech facilities, I was absolutely appalled.  Granted, their in-state tuition is about as cheap as it gets - but something has to be said for quality of experience right?  I was initially leaning towards Samford because I know a lot of people there AND their campus (library, law school, integrated technology) are top notch (not to mention all the undergrad eye-candy). But law school isn't about an experience, it's about an education - or at least I'm trying to convince myself of that.  I have heard it's very difficult finding employment in a different state than your law school.  Anyway, I suppose I will reluctantly take the economic, more convenient option in lieu of a fun, friendly, higher quality atmosphere.  I wish I had never visited Samford - they obviously have more money than they know what to do with, and those Birmingham folks know how to roll out the welcome mat.  Staying in Atlanta has it's advantages though, so hopefully I can get past the runned-down look.  I've got until June to decide. 

Wht do you think about going T4 from a T1 due to location preferences??

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 12:22:19 AM »
Ivy - huh?
2L

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 12:23:52 AM »
Ivy - huh?

It's a name, why not:-) Don't you think I'm Haaaaaarvard material?

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 12:25:01 AM »
No, I meant that I didnt understand your post, not your name.
The OP is not talking about going from a T1 to a T4.
2L

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 12:28:34 AM »
No, I meant that I didnt understand your post, not your name.
The OP is not talking about going from a T1 to a T4.

I know but were going to be lawyers right (selfish, arrogant, self-centered folk) so whatever the other guy/gal may say, I will address my own concerns. But seriously my love, it related faintly as we were both addressing the question of the atmosphere surronding the school.