Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Admitted student receptions  (Read 266 times)

toinore

• View Profile
Admitted student receptions
« on: April 20, 2006, 09:05:20 PM »
Has anyone else been given homework prior to attending the admitted student reception day? I received approximately 20 pages of case law to read and brief by Saturday morning.
I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that these receptions were designed to check out the facilities and potential classmates, not to jump straight into class work.  Just wondering if anyone else finds this a little odd.  (Honestly, I don't mind the work, but I haven't even decided if this is the school I want to attend.)   

toinore

• View Profile
Re: Admitted student receptions
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 09:12:17 PM »
Well, yeah...obviously it isn't graded or anything...I was just a little surprised and wondering if this was the case with all (or most) receptions.

HippieLawChick

• Sr. Citizen
  • Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 09:14:37 PM »
Some do this.  I think it's a good idea.  For people who are admitted to a law school, but not 100% sure that they want to go to law school a simulated class can help them make the right decision.

Keep in mind that all types of people attend these events, and they all might not be in the same place in the process that you are.

toinore

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:23:08 PM »
That is very true.  I guess I figured that if people have made it this far in the process they must be convinced that law is what they want to do.