• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Ly
« on: April 20, 2006, 08:52:06 PM »
Int

norcaldude

Re: Law school applicants and ultra-high GPAs
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 10:17:44 PM »
he's right to an extent.  Sure, if I didn't take any physics / math courses, took all non-technical courses, stayed out of relatively challenging English / Philosophy courses, and did research with a prof in something related to law, I'd have near a 4.0 and an acceptance to HLS.  In fact, I know somebody who did that with an econ degree (took a grand total of three math based courses, two of them dumbed down versions of harder classes).  His hardeset classes were some of my easiest.  And there's something to be said for it with the current admissions system.  I'd do it if I had to start over again.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 11:16:13 PM »
he's right to an extent.  Sure, if I didn't take any physics / math courses, took all non-technical courses, stayed out of relatively challenging English / Philosophy courses, and did research with a prof in something related to law, I'd have near a 4.0 and an acceptance to HLS.  In fact, I know somebody who did that with an econ degree (took a grand total of three math based courses, two of them dumbed down versions of harder classes).  His hardeset classes were some of my easiest.  And there's something to be said for it with the current admissions system.  I'd do it if I had to start over again.

So would I...I wouldn't have started out pre-med.  Dammit
Columbia 3L

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 12:24:30 AM »
Yeah, I promised a long angry rant about this issue.  He's missing a lot from this analysis, specifically about grade-inflation at the top schools as well as class issues (who do you think can afford to be a PoliSci major?) but until I hand in my dissertation, I'll just tacitly agree.

Dunson II

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 01:12:13 AM »
I have a high gpa, I'm more concerned about the possible demoralization after fall 1L year.  That could suck.  Hopefully I pwn it.

asalie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 02:20:12 AM »
it's interesting, but i think it fails to take into the account the option of pass/no pass a lot of schools have. i personally took a handful of classes p/np because i a) had interest in the topics and b) knew i wanted to go to law school, so didn't want to damage my gpa.

at the end of the day, i got the best of both worlds: i learned things outside of my area of strength, and i kept my gpa up

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 11:36:30 AM »
it's interesting, but i think it fails to take into the account the option of pass/no pass a lot of schools have. i personally took a handful of classes p/np because i a) had interest in the topics and b) knew i wanted to go to law school, so didn't want to damage my gpa.

at the end of the day, i got the best of both worlds: i learned things outside of my area of strength, and i kept my gpa up

Wow, my pre-law advisor told us NOT to do that.  The theory is that it makes adcoms question students' abilities.

The problem with Leiter and his cronies is that they think exclusively in academic terms. 

We have the same option at Brown...taking a class s/nc.  Our pre law advisor didn't say not to do that, but just not to overdo it.  I think the avg Brown student takes 1 class per sem s/nc and ti hasn't been a problem with law school (or any other type of grade school) admissions.
Columbia 3L