Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Will Colorado increase class size?  (Read 481 times)

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
Will Colorado increase class size?
« on: April 20, 2006, 06:28:08 PM »
Does anyone know if CU is going to increase their class size since they will have more room with the new building?  (I don't mean individual law classes, but each year's student body).
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

tmoney619

• View Profile
Re: Will Colorado increase class size?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 02:52:47 AM »
To my knowledge yes they will!

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 05:07:35 PM »
If they increase class size, they'll bring down their median numbers, bringing down their median US News ranking... why would they do that?

Right now they have a pretty good Median LSAT for the schools in their range (a 162).  Compare that to some othe schools in their range (i.e. Florida (158) and Ohio State (161)).   Where they are not doing so well is their Reputation scores (3.0, 3.3...which is up a lot from last year.  Compare that to the Florida-3.2,3.5 and Ohio State-3.2,3.6    So, it looks like they might be able to take a little hit in their LSAT median in order to improve their rep scores.  A good way to improve their rep scores would be to increae their class size, thus increasing their alumni base which will hopefully go get jobs all over the country and spread the word of CU.   A larger student body (alumni base) should also help the employment stats (by increasing connections).

It is risky though, cause it will hurt them in ways too: Median LSAT/GPA scores (as you noted), Student-faculty ratio (unless they hire more faculty), and could actually hurt job prospects if they don't increase on-campus recruiting to match their increase in class size.

I don't think I mind them increasing class size.  I do think it will probably help in the long run, in terms of reputation and job prospects.  Also, law school is small enough a it is...I think adding a few more people to the mix would be nice, in terms of socializing. 

Hey tmoney: any idea of how big the class will big next year?
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington

kdiz81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 11:24:35 AM »
When I was visiting, our tour guide said that they would increase class size but not for this incoming class.  They were afraid that they might not finish the new building in time and so they didn't risk it.  As I know they have a healthy waitlist, they might switch it up late in the game, however.

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 12:48:41 PM »
hmmm.  Interesting info Kdiz.  I went ahead and wrote the admission committe, and all I got back was this "At this time, it would be hard to say what the class size will be for the Fall 2007."   Not very helpful.   You would think that several weeks after the deposit was due, they would at least be able to give me a rough estimate.

If the building isn't finished on time, will the whole 1st semester be in the old building, or will they just move into the new one a couple of weeks late? 

Hey kdiz, could you maybe give us a little synopsis of the admittedt students day.  I remember you gave us some great info about the new building, but was also wondering about the rest fo the day (i.e. how was the staff, the students, the admitted students, etc).  Any info would be great, thanks! 
8) Boston College

tmoney619

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »
To my knowledge they are not increasing class size until next year, and the increase will not be drastic, but will be steady. The Business school is moving into Fleming Hall (old law building) in the fall, so they have to have the new building ready. I believe the completion target date is July 31st.

kdiz81

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 02:08:36 PM »
I was told the same thing as T-money.  The new building will definately be finished by the start of the next school year. My tour guide was saying that back when they had to assign classes to faculty and would have needed to make other major administrative changes to accomodate more new students, they were not sure if it WOULD be done.  We have the green light now though. Booya!

As for your question about admitted students day:  The faculty were very laid back and easy to talk to.  I get the feeling that many of them could be teaching at "better" schools but chose to live in Colorado.  Got the same sense from many of the students.  People who are there just really want to be there.  I think I want to be there too!