Edit: Lily: you're in the way of my spotlight

Miss P

• View Profile
Re: THE OFFICIAL KINGOFSPAIN HAS RETIRED FROM LSD THREAD
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 06:04:59 PM »
Hey - 100% of antihumanisms posts have been to/about me. I'm special  ;D

Edit: Lily: you're in the way of my spotlight

:D

And somehow, I think I'd only be in your spotlight if I had gone to Princeton UG and was hot. ;)

I guess he's anti[one particular]humanism!  :D

He does have a point, though, about you, Lily. (Okay, maybe about you too, red.!  ;D) I hadn't really taken stock, but why are you always talking about not being hot? It makes me sad.

redemption

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 06:09:30 PM »
I think that you've left MissP speechless. :D

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »
I think that you've left MissP speechless. :D

I didn't mean it in a mean sense. :(

Me?  Speechless?  Y'all can dream, I guess! :)
I was just "working." And I don't think anything you said was mean, Lily.  I was actually feeling kind of bad about making a jab at red.  But it was all in fun. 

Anyway, I just think it's sad and a little weird.  A couple of thoughts off the top of my head --

1. One of the cool things about being on discussion board is that we can choose to present only our good qualities (other than verbal and reasoning skills, sure -- and for some people these are certainly not their good qualities  :)), so it seems sad that so many of the men and women around here are obsessed with what the women (not the men, of course) look like.  Even if you're ugly, why buy into that?  This is one of the rare opportunities to be judged on other qualities -- even to be genderless (as Hooray4CptSpaulding managed for so long).

2. Hot can mean lots of different things.  I mean, I'm apparently very hot to some people and nearly abject to (more) others IRL.  I'm sure this is partly about different physical preferences (e.g., some like curves, some don't), and partly about some people's subordinating physical appearance to other qualities.  In any case, you seem like someone who is interesting, funny, smart, whatever -- that is hot to the right person. And when it comes to physical preferences, seriously, I think you can always find someone whose preferences go against the grain, someone who loves thin hair, stretch marks, flat chests, you name it.

Yes, I know you were just complaining about people who said things like that, and I feel like your mom or something.  I'm sorry.  But just because you met some people who don't value your qualities appropriately (or as much as you'd like them to) doesn't mean that those people who do don't exist. (And I think you'll find more of them as you grow older.)

[edit for terribly embarrassing typo]

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 06:36:02 PM »
Oh, also, I should have said, if the self-depracation really does make you feel better, then by all means, go for it. 

But if, deep down, you feel compelled to do it because you want to pre-empt people's reactions to meeting you IRL, then it might make sense to draw less attention to your appearance.  IDK.  I know that if I ever meet you, I'll totally be all, "Oh, I see..."

FossilJ

• Carbon-date THIS, biznitch!
    • View Profile
    • Cricket Rules!
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 06:57:12 PM »
you may be asking "who?"  that's fine, it's been grand but the lack of civility on this board has driven me legally insane, so i'm leaving.

You still haven't answered my flame-bait regarding the joker that your name represents, or my cheapshot at your 'tar (Boo on Freddie!).

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2006, 06:59:32 PM »
Yes, I know you were just complaining about people who said things like that, and I feel like your mom or something.  I'm sorry.  But just because you met some people who don't value your qualities appropriately (or as much as you'd like them to) doesn't mean that those people don't exist. (And I think you'll find more of them as you grow older.)

Beauty : Attraction :: Public Health : Internal Medicine

I'll leave the rest to think about -- and maybe post more on -- later, but I wanted to comment on this analogy. I agree that beauty and attraction/desire are different things, but beauty is structured much the same way attraction/desire is -- a complex interplay of forces that we can't completely untangle.  It is not a quality that one has or does not have -- at least not until it is registered in the eye of the other. And then it may or may not inspire their desire.

God, this sounds like a disgusting Lynne Cheney novel.  I have to stop!

Oh, also, I should have said, if the self-depracation really does make you feel better, then by all means, go for it. 

But if, deep down, you feel compelled to do it because you want to pre-empt people's reactions to meeting you IRL, then it might make sense to draw less attention to your appearance.  IDK.  I know that if I ever meet you, I'll totally be all, "Oh, I see..."

Funny you should mention this. :D

You're mostly right: the reason why it started is because people were flirty.  Since I knew I'd probably meet people from LSD in real life, I wanted to prevent this awkward situation from occurring.  (The difference is, it was a conscious decision on my part.)

I normally don't mention it as frequently IRL, because I don't have to worry about this. :)

I think you've made a lot of friends around here, and you shouldn't have to worry about this.  But I do understand. :)

[edit to fix uncharacteristically bad quoting.  I'm really on a roll tonight.]

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2006, 07:04:23 PM »
King o' Spain, I'd stick up for you if you were going to W&L, but you chose ND, so no love here . . .

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2006, 07:42:45 PM »
Yes, I know you were just complaining about people who said things like that, and I feel like your mom or something.  I'm sorry.  But just because you met some people who don't value your qualities appropriately (or as much as you'd like them to) doesn't mean that those people don't exist. (And I think you'll find more of them as you grow older.)

Beauty : Attraction :: Public Health : Internal Medicine

I'll leave the rest to think about -- and maybe post more on -- later, but I wanted to comment on this analogy. I agree that beauty and attraction/desire are different things, but beauty is structured much the same way attraction/desire is -- a complex interplay of forces that we can't completely untangle.

I agree that they're structured similarly.

My analogy's point isn't about overall structure in those terms; the point is that there's a difference is between an individual's experience and the community's experience. 

In other words, beauty is when a large number of people (although maybe not everyone) is attracted to someone, while attractiveness is when someone's appearance causes someone else to desire them.

Maybe a better, tripartite analogy would be:

Public Health : Health :: Internal Medicine : Health :::: Beauty : Desire :: Attractiveness : Desire

Or maybe I'm just too tired to explain myself coherently right now. :-\

Interesting.  I still think that beauty is more of an individual, subjective experience (structured by community expectations and such, of course).  But we'll see.  Anyway, this brief is due tomorrow and I am only halfway through my proofing, so I think I'm out for the night.  Good night, y'all.