Law School Discussion

Whats your MOST contraversial POV

MrSmittie

• Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your MOST contraversial POV
« Reply #140 on: April 20, 2006, 07:22:15 PM »
but, to be fair, a lot of idiots buy a lot of sh*t they cant afford  :D

This is also true.

eli250

« Reply #141 on: April 20, 2006, 07:27:28 PM »
I have plenty, but I'll do them one at a time:

1.  Both parents should work outside the home once children are old enough for daycare regardless of finances.

My mother was a housewife and as a kid I had a negative opinion of her because of it.  I thought of my Dad as more important and powerful.  Children should see their parents as equals.

eli250

« Reply #142 on: April 20, 2006, 07:31:56 PM »
Here's another one:

The drinking age promotes binge drinking, it needs to be changed.  I can't say we should eliminate it, but we should at least have a progressive drinking age that allows teenagers to have drinks in certain situations by 16.   

« Reply #143 on: April 20, 2006, 07:34:41 PM »
As much as I'd like to think that having a drinking age leads to binge drinking, I have friends from countries with much laxer drinking laws who binge drink a whole lot more than any Americans I know.

eli250

« Reply #144 on: April 20, 2006, 07:36:24 PM »
Here's another one:

The drinking age promotes binge drinking, it needs to be changed.  I can't say we should eliminate it, but we should at least have a progressive drinking age that allows teenagers to have drinks in certain situations by 16.   

I can top this.  If you weren't drinking by 16, you should be denied entry to all colleges.  Why encourage lameness?

True, but those who weren't drinking by 16, generally drink themselves out of college anyway once they experience their first taste of freedom

Steve.jd

• I'm edumacated now, still not photogenic though
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 20, 2006, 07:40:24 PM »
Here's another one:

Actually most states allow minors to have drinks for

a) religious purposes/occasions
b) in the presence of their parents and with their permission as long as they don't overdo it

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 20, 2006, 09:10:54 PM »
Id say the exact opposite.

do away with private schooling and home schooling.

force integration not only amongst the races, but amongst the classes as well.

lsatflunkie

« Reply #147 on: April 20, 2006, 09:17:49 PM »
Get the government out of education altogether.  No funding, no regulating, nothing!  All this talk about giving teachers and schools more money is a joke.  Most public school teachers, especially grade school teachers, are idiots.  Administrators and district personal are even bigger idiots.  So much money is wasted and so many children are underserved.  More money will just mean more waste.  Iím not saying this to be ďhatefulĒ.  Many of my relatives are public school teachers and administrators and they would agree.  Well, some might not but whatever.  The system is a mess and I donít think it can be fixed.  The whole thing is a waste of money, even if its purpose it to maintain social stability.  Drop the labor law down to twelve.  That might keep them busy.  Iíd be the first to donate to any nonprofit that wants to teach them or just babysit.

Wow- you'll need to elaborate more on the "mess".  Taking government out of public school eduation would be a travesty.  Who would monitor the strict teacher certification regulations?  Who would provide funding for extracurricular activities?  Who would create programs for the disabled and special education needs of our children?  Child labor??? Are you serious?

KillMeNow

• My dream girl...so hot, let's keep the lights on
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 20, 2006, 10:10:31 PM »
Those who cannot do, teach (or something close to that; probably more true of juco professors than kindergarten teachers)

I know several people who have gone into teaching because they had no idea what else to do and having the summer off seemed pretty great.  There are some really horrible teachers in the world, but I do not believe taking government out of the equation would solve the problem.  Teachers should be paid more in order to draw more qualified people into the profession.  However, a probationary period (maybe 3 years) should be required before teachers are eligible for the big bucks.  A test should also be administered that places the teacher into the grade level most suited to the teacher's intelligence and skill.

Other thoughts:
World hunger is a tough issue that is definitely more related to economics and logistics than to lack of supply.  If it was economically beneficial to producers, I believe the entire world's food needs could be met relatively easily.  For instance, and I am too lazy to check for 100% accuracy, but I believe Sudan once turned down a large shipment of grain from the US (at the urging of some European countries) because the grain was genetically engineered.  This shipment of grain was then dumped into the ocean. 

But here is an overly utopic idea:
Double taxes from the present rates.  Basic procedures and rules will be determined, if someone wishes to become exempt from the tax hike, he/she can do so by performing worthwhile tasks to help mankind.  It's kind of like forced charity.  Those who do not wish to participate can pay the increased taxes and these funds will be used by the government in charitable enterprises across the world.  As a bonus, defense spending could be cut due to improved international relations.

KillMeNow

• My dream girl...so hot, let's keep the lights on
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 20, 2006, 10:57:50 PM »
WTF?  That is what I was saying.