Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Whats your MOST contraversial POV  (Read 14889 times)

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your MOST contraversial POV
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2006, 05:42:09 PM »
Confiscate all SUVs and put them in all on blocks without the engines in the vacent lots in all the cities and give the keys to the homeless people so they have shelter.  You could install solar panels to heat them. 

I like this one!!!

we could also use them as apartments for people rioght out of school.

Ill take an escalade.  things a MONSTER!
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?

LitDoc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2006, 05:43:22 PM »
Margee - The pot and the kettle only apply if I'm putting down a smart person.

Terralily - See my earlier post about taxing drugs/alcohol/cigarettes, etc. This becomes very problematic very quickly. I agree with you on stripping private money from political campaigns, though.
"There is no was." -- William Faulkner

University of Texas, Class of '09

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: April 20, 2006, 05:43:47 PM »
Confiscate all SUVs and put them in all on blocks without the engines in the vacent lots in all the cities and give the keys to the homeless people so they have shelter.  You could install solar panels to heat them. 

I like this one!!!

we could also use them as apartments for people rioght out of school.

Ill take an escalade.  things a MONSTER!

that's kinda what I thought...some of them are the same size as dorm rooms  ;D
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: April 20, 2006, 05:45:12 PM »
Margee - The pot and the kettle only apply if I'm putting down a smart person.

Terralily - See my earlier post about taxing drugs/alcohol/cigarettes, etc. This becomes very problematic very quickly. I agree with you on stripping private money from political campaigns, though.

That's why I ended with these not be feasible...I didn't want to wade through all the put downs to find what people were saying... so I just added mine POVs.

LitDoc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: April 20, 2006, 05:48:25 PM »
BTW, the last thing I want to do is get into a snarkfest. Kingofspain has a fondness for dismissing ideas out of hand, with no real intelligent response -- and he has a fondness for trashing others whose ideas he disagrees with. Pitch your ideas, if you have any, and leave the put downs and trashtalk aside. I only jumped on you because (a) you dismissed the ideas I tossed out there without any substantive response, and (b) you're attacking personally two of the smartest people on this board, apparently because you don't like their ideas, or that they're smarter than you are.
"There is no was." -- William Faulkner

University of Texas, Class of '09

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 20, 2006, 05:49:54 PM »
Some topics that might need a controversial pov:

1/3 of the world is (literally) starving

Instead of paying farmers to destroy crops, pay them to export to starving nations...?

Famines and starvation are not caused by a lack of food but by a lack of capabilities and entitlements.  Most famines occur as food is exported out of the starving region because people simply lack the entitlements to purchase/barter/receive it.  Eliminating US and CAP farm subsidies and allowing trully equal access to the Western market would be the biggest help in this area.  The annual amount of money that US/CAP subsisides and unequal trade policies cost three Subsaharan African countries in the cotton market alone is greater than their national debt

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: April 20, 2006, 05:52:14 PM »
BTW, the last thing I want to do is get into a snarkfest. Kingofspain has a fondness for dismissing ideas out of hand, with no real intelligent response -- and he has a fondness for trashing others whose ideas he disagrees with. Pitch your ideas, if you have any, and leave the put downs and trashtalk aside. I only jumped on you because (a) you dismissed the ideas I tossed out there without any substantive response, and (b) you're attacking personally two of the smartest people on this board, apparently because you don't like their ideas, or that they're smarter than you are.

Me...how did I get dragged into this???   ???

Dunson II

« Reply #77 on: April 20, 2006, 05:54:14 PM »
I think we should end corporate taxes.  I think the masses need to be controlled.  I like the idea of an elite oligarchy hiding behind the facade of a demcracy, with lots of huge corporations leading the way.  I think we should take over the middle east for oil so I can use my gas money for more beer.

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2006, 05:55:16 PM »

no i wasn't attacking their intellect, i was attacking their attitude, which is dismissive in the extreme.  your ideas are so hackney and tired i didn't feel like telling you at length why their so stupid because it's already been done so in that case i felt i could be dismissive.

H4CS

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2006, 05:57:51 PM »
Red, this one is for you, hope I managed to be controversial enough.

Tax all male* wages at 20%, PAYE, split equally between employer and employee.  This would create a strong disinsentive for companies to hire male workers over equally qualified female workers, thus forcing more men into domestic labor as their wives became the breadwinner.  Take this money and use it to fund universal childcare, healthcare, elder care, and other 'caring' services that would lead to the ultimate dismantling of the nuclear family, Alexandra Kollontai style. 

*Biological males, including post-op men-born-women.