Whats your MOST contraversial POV

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
Re: Whats your MOST contraversial POV
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2006, 01:15:27 PM »
its supposed to be controversial.

and i agree too.

used to date a girl, and she moved to the projects where there were ALOT of drug addicts with ALOT of kids that we are paying for....

i guess i just don't feel like the ends quite justify the means in this case.... i mean, it's in our interest to prevent crack addicted babies, sure... but at what expense?  i mean forced birth control would be a MAJOR shot at women's rights....

further, crack *tends* to be more common among lower-income and/or minority groups... so NOW look at the mess we're getting into...  :P

Are you sure about that?  The two people I have ever known to become addicted to that stuff were middle class white girls.

*tends* implies very obvious recognition of the dangers of generalizatoin.  of course there are plenty of white people on crack.  give me a few minutes and i'll find you some stats, though.

http://www.drugtext.org/library/articles/shein01.htm -- this potentially says less about the actual #s of blacks/whites who use crack than it does about the selective enfocement-- sort of an old article, but i doubt stuff has changed much.  excerpt:

>>An evidentiary hearing on the disproportionate impact of crack prosecutions was held on April 15, 1992 before U.S. Magistrate Joel Feldman in the Northern Disrtict of Georgia. 19 Attorneys for the several black defendants charged with crack offenses managed to get a consolidated evidentiary hearing on the issue of the disproportionate impact of crack prosecutions on black defendants- 20

At the hearing, attorneys from the Federal Defender Program introduced into evidence an Affidavit from Michael Hutcheson, an investigator with the Federal Defender Program in Atlanta. Mr. Hutcheson's Affidavit showed that he obtained a list of 345 drug defendants charged in drug related cases in the Northern District of Georgia for the year 1990 through September 30, 1991. Statistical information on 334 out of the 345 defendants were gathered. Out of the 334 cases, seventy were crack prosecutions. After dividing the seventy defendants by race and gender, the investigator was able to determine that fifty-one of the seventy defendants were black males; thirteen were black females; two were white-Hispanic males; one was a white-Hispanic female; two were blackHispanic males; and one was a white female (who was married to a black male). There were no white males charged with crack offenses. A breakdown of the statistics 22 indicated that 99 percent of the crack defendants were black or Hispanic. Though not conclusive, this data suggests that the brunt of the crack cocaine prosecutions are directed at blacks. 23 <<

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060319/GPG0101/603190808/1207/GPGnews --this one is 2006, some conclusion-- actually talks a lot more about drug arrests and race overall:

>>Crack cocaine a product of preparing cocaine to make it even more potent shows up in the data as being almost exclusively associated with the black population. <<

ANYWAY... whether this reflects rate of usage between the groups, who the heck knows.  the reality is though, if you implement any law like that that targets only crack cocaine users (i know you said heroine too... that's not the point  ;)) it's likely to disproportionatly affect blacks and hispanics.

So...what's your controversial opinion?

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2006, 01:16:10 PM »
ah... for me, i think that beginning in high school, all children should have the option of taking a comparative religion elective that covers at very least the major western religions.

too much of our daily experience is intertwined with this stuff... there's no avoiding it, so might as well equip our kids to understand some of it

Not very controversial!

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2006, 01:16:25 PM »
hm. that's a good point, but i still think that the bulk of the population (the majority), regardless of where they live, is suposed to decide the vote.

Why is that?  Because the U.S. is a democracy  right?  WRONG.  The U.S. was never intended to be such.  It has only shifted from a slightly democratic federation to more a fully-fledged democracy due to scheming politicians, apathetic citizens, and a horrid public education system.  

The Electoral College is one of the fews safeguards against a tyrannical majority left in the federal election system.  Its primary purpose (aside from practical/logistical matters relevant to the U.S. in the 18th century) was to help protect small individual states by providing them with a greater presence in presidential elections than their smaller populations would otherwise allow.  It forces cantidates to appeal to the interests of people from various parts of the country.  

Abolishing the EC would be yet another blow to states rights and would further undermine our republican form of government.

the electoral college was primarily meant as a compromise during the writing of the constitution between those who wanted the president elected directly by the people and those who wanted him elected by the states.  in some states the state legislatures chose the electors.

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2006, 01:17:45 PM »
hmmm, so you guys prob wouldnt like the idea of splitting the us in 2 at all.

we could move the leberals to one side, call it the US of free thinking

move the conservatives to the other side, call it Heavens doorstep.

I'd like to exile all those who think they are morally superior because of their political beliefs... how's that for contraversial.

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2006, 01:18:46 PM »
allthatjaz: i think you make a good point that i had not considered. still not changing my stuborn opinion of course =)

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2006, 01:20:02 PM »
ah... for me, i think that beginning in high school, all children should have the option of taking a comparative religion elective that covers at very least the major western religions.

too much of our daily experience is intertwined with this stuff... there's no avoiding it, so might as well equip our kids to understand some of it

Not very controversial!

read a couple posts down-- it's definately controversial.  if you don't see why, then you just can't fully consider either side of the religion in school argument....

i like your idea.  i'm not religious myself but i can't understand why people are so afraid of religion- maybe this would help.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2006, 01:24:56 PM »
hmmm, so you guys prob wouldnt like the idea of splitting the us in 2 at all.

we could move the leberals to one side, call it the US of free thinking

move the conservatives to the other side, call it Heavens doorstep.

are we going to drown all the moderates?  :-[

nah, they just pick one or the other.  or maybe we could give them the center, and we will take each coast...

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2006, 01:33:02 PM »
OK, WE BREAK IT IN 3, liberals get the coast, moderates thh bordering states(forming a U) conservatives the cold midwest   ;D

redemption

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2006, 01:40:28 PM »
You people get licence to state your most controversial positions and this tepid stuff is the best that you can do?? Tinker with the electoral college, tinker with the grade school curriculum, etc?

Lame.
Come the revolution, you are all going to be up against the wall.

redemption

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2006, 01:46:42 PM »
What in the world is the point of having a view that you wouldn't share, even behind a veil of anonymity?

Nah, I think people are just timid. A sort of learned helplessness. Good thing that you're all going to be lawyers, though - the system will be safe in your hands  ;)

j/k - sort of. (Not really)