Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Advice  (Read 34996 times)

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
Re: 1L Advice
« Reply #210 on: June 29, 2006, 01:17:29 PM »
I have my first law school final today!!! 3 hours of torture, i'm sure!! I am starting to realize how different it is studying for law school finals than undergrade. It is all Application!!! I am allowed to bring in 2pages of notes or anything, (they have relevant cases, and rules of laws, plus judges and their ideals) not i am trying to figure out what to memorize. I just keep looking any my 2 sheets and memorizing them,so I can find thing quicker. But i know from the midterm that I will get some crazy fact pattern question and have to write as if I am typing a legal writing paper. CRAzy!! There are some mutiple choice questions but only like 10 or so, and they probibly won't be much. Wish me luck, This time tomorrow i'll be on a plane back to philly till August. I need a haircut and a cheese steak!!
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Dante

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 01, 2006, 06:15:22 PM »
bump and baff

chrisfield

• Sr. Citizen
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 01, 2006, 07:23:18 PM »
What is LEEWS? How much is it?

Gary Glitter

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #213 on: August 01, 2006, 07:42:11 PM »
hmm advice for 1Ls - yeah, sure - it's easy: finish in the top 25% of your class, make both the moot court and mock trial boards; law review membership is an absolute must, and if you can start some sort of bleeding hearts club for the typhoid stricken glycoma sufferers of the Andes then more power to you. if you fail on any of these fronts, prepare yourself for a second rate legal career pockmarked by  the sadly inevitable and consistent futile attempts at climbing the legal ladder into the upper echelons of our judicial society.

right now you think that i'm kidding. ah poor unsuspecting 0Ls. what have you gotten yourselves into? 

check out the credentials on this representative cross-sample of legal society. whew. each and every single one of them is a ringer. that's right 0Ls, one B and your chances of success are NIL.

http://www.lw.com/attorney/attorneysearch_result.asp?selLocation=4&selDepartment=&selPractice=&selSchool=&txtSearch=&searchType=name&search=true
The Good:Harvard, Stanford
The Bad:
The Ugly: Yale

Barney

• Sr. Citizen
  • 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #214 on: August 02, 2006, 05:50:12 PM »
Come now, this guy went to American. It takes more than Texas to make up for that sort of thing. Ringer my ass.

http://www.lw.com/attorney/attorneysearch_profile.asp?selDepartment=&selPractice=&attno=00746&tmpName=Pulliam%2C+Mark%20Mark&qs=selLocation***4@@@selDepartment***@@@selPractice***@@@selSchool***@@@txtSearch***@@@searchType***name@@@search***true

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 02, 2006, 06:27:50 PM »
tag
Vanderbilt 2010

dmitrik4

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #216 on: August 03, 2006, 10:12:26 AM »
there are other good legal jobs besides Latham and firms like it, you know...law school isn't exactly "law review editor-in-chief or bust."  obviously the better you do, the more options you have coming out, but plenty of folks outside the top 1% of the class end up in very good jobs.

actually, i graduated from a mid-level state school with 2 people who are working at L&W.  one was on the "big" journal and did no other extracurricular activities.  the other guy did stuff like Moot Court but was on a smaller journal.

wherever you go, do your best to excel at whatever it is you're doing.  law school is a fast (and important) three years, and it's worth it to bust your butt.

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #217 on: August 03, 2006, 10:42:36 AM »
I spoke to a few Latham lawyers last winter, when I did bike courier deliveries to their DC building. The building in DC is really nice. One of the nicest I've been in. The lawyers all looked tired, and stressed. The ones I spoke to said the hours were a bit much.
LSD saved my life.

dudette26

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 03, 2006, 07:42:12 PM »
I just spent the past hour reading 18 pages, everyone has really great info! (except for the couple of pages on dictators, lol)

tag!

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #219 on: August 04, 2006, 02:32:44 PM »
I'm at work, so I don't have time to comment further, but I would like to briefly note that I pretty much completely disagree with everything said in the previous post. I'm not sure what his experiences have been, but they have not matched mine, nor do his comments line up with the economic structure that most big firms operate under.