Law School Discussion

1L Advice

mobo

• View Profile
Re: 1L Advice
« Reply #190 on: June 13, 2006, 07:57:19 PM »
thanks for all the honesty. the personal insights that (raider and king) you have posted are really useful, and appreciated by the rest of us for your willingness to throw it out there and tell it like you see it. or feel it.

anyway, thanks.

« Reply #191 on: June 13, 2006, 08:25:45 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for books that had good examples of different ways to outline.  I'd like to outline as I go along in classes, and I'd like to get a feel for some of the more common outlining styles before I end up creating something less than useful.

J D

• Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: June 13, 2006, 09:18:27 PM »
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for books that had good examples of different ways to outline.  I'd like to outline as I go along in classes, and I'd like to get a feel for some of the more common outlining styles before I end up creating something less than useful.

Depends on how the class is structured, and on how structured the class is.  A common way is to start with the course syllabus, which will be grouped according to major topics, in the order in which you will cover them.  Add in a substructure of rules (with their exceptions, quirks, and nuances) and cases from there.  Or, I've seen some people, in more "case-oriented" than "rule-oriented" courses, like Con Law or maybe Contracts, just produce a list of cases with a one phrase description of the facts and the most important legal principles all stated in one sentence each.

« Reply #193 on: June 14, 2006, 11:03:13 AM »
Hi Mattheis - I liked your advice about doing some 0L work on legal writing. You recommended a few books, one being Legal Writing in Plain English, A Text with Exercises. I looked it up on Amazon and noticed Garner has a whole slew of interesting- and informative-sounding books on Legal Writing. Any particular reason you liked the one that you recommended? Have you used any of his other books?

« Reply #194 on: June 14, 2006, 12:15:06 PM »
So, if you had to pick one book to use as a legal writing primer before law school, you'd go with the Redbook, not Legal Writing in Plain English?

Terabithia

• Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 18, 2006, 08:46:41 AM »
tag

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 18, 2006, 08:52:49 AM »
BAFF

Matthies, your benevolence and magnanimity are greatly appreciated.

« Reply #197 on: June 19, 2006, 01:11:59 PM »
my advice is this: seriously consider not going. It sucks. Big time. if you are going because you can't think of anything else to do at this point in your life, don't go. You shouldn't be there.

grades just come in?

law school is just one of those things that lots of people do because it's one of the few career "tracks" left and that's comforting. good grades, bad grades, I shouldn't have gone to law school and there are a lot of people like me.

I have to say I respect the hell out of you for coming here and saying that. Its probably some of the most candid, yet will be over looked advice on this thread.

I wonder how many of the posters from last year we never see anymore feel the same? A good 40% of my classmates feel the same, but they will not say unless itís a hushed whisper when no one else is looking.

Too many people go to law school not having any idea of what law school or the practice of law is really like. We all do massive amounts of research on what we think is important, ranking, OCI, starting salaries, but people forget none of that matters if you donít like what you are doing.

Iíll tell all of you right now, 80% of you are going to get to law school, ANY law school, and find its not what you expected, or where told on boards like this. There is a reason many lawyers will tell you not to go to law school when you ask them. They are telling you because they did not take that advice when it was given to them.

Some of you, a good percentage of you, will not enjoy law school or the practice of law. It happens, and itís very common. Unfortunately there is no easy out. By the time 1L is over, and you realize law was maybe not for you, what other choice do you have? You can leave after 1 year of LS, with debt and no degree. Many think that is what they will do if they hate it. Yet most donít. Most stick it out for two more years and hate it even more.

Why? As my friends and I have discussed over far too many beers, what choice do you have? Law school sets you up to compete for every scrap of a grade, some people would rather be miserable, than say ďThis is just not for me, I quiteĒ. Quitting is some how looked upon in our society as less than desirable, so people stay, are miserable, and enter a field they hate, all because they where unable, or unwilling to quite.

Itís sad, but true; all of you will either see it or experience it yourselves. Iím one of the lucky ones I guess, no, law and law school was not what I expected either, but my goals where different than many of my classmates. I already had a successful career, one I could return to if I did not like law school. I had made my own $, and my own success, so I am not facing the choice of law debt, quitting, or staying to get I job I donít like just to pay my loans. I am lucky that way. So I am staying, I can be as happy practicing is a small firm as working for a public interest firm, or going back to my old profession if needed. Not everyone has that option though. And for those that donít law school can be a miserable experience if they find it was not really for them, because what good options do they have?

Think seriously about if law school is REALLY what you want to do, if you really know what law school entails and what the practice of law  is really like. There is a good book published by the ABA called ďIs law school really for you?Ē it can help you decide. Because once you are there, it is very hard to get out or change directions. Law school can be horrible at times, its much worse if you find out too late you do not or can not do what you thought LS would allow you to do.

Suicide Nixon, good luck to you my friend. I donít know what its like to be in your shoes, so I wonít claim I do. All I can say is I have had this discussion more times than I can count over the past two years with people who where. Itís a tuff row to hoe, and I wish you the best success. Knowing this now at least gives you some options before 3L to change directions or find a direction that will satisfy you, in or out of law. Good luck to you and hang in there.

Thank you for your kind words. It's tough but there are far worse things in life. I might stay but right now I'm thinking about taking a year off to figure it out.

spud1987

« Reply #198 on: June 19, 2006, 01:13:52 PM »
tag

frankm007

« Reply #199 on: June 19, 2006, 09:31:56 PM »
I bought LEEWS as well as "Learning Legal Reasoning" and thinking of getting "Legal Writing in Plain English"... sound good?