Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 1L Advice  (Read 34380 times)

MindTheGap76

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago Alum ('08)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1L Advice
« Reply #120 on: May 10, 2006, 12:05:52 PM »
I haven't heard anything about office hours.

Do law professors offer time outside of class for students to ask questions in a less intimidating setting?

I just remember finishing undergrad and thinking that this was the one resource that I (and, I think, most other students) completely underutilize. 

Thanks for any info.

Different schools do it different ways; Chicago just has a blanket open door policy, if the door is open it's office hours.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 10, 2006, 12:45:35 PM »
At Emory, profs have state office hours, but I have yet to encounter a professor that won't answer a question by email or make an appointment to meet with you outside of office hours.

Most have an "unofficial" open door policy.  If the door's open, and they're in there, feel freel to stop by.

dbgirl

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
« Reply #122 on: May 10, 2006, 02:16:53 PM »
I would add a minor amendment to the going deep into the issues thing. This will not help you on exams, and if you're doing this garbage in class, you're certainly annoying your classmates. On the other hand, your profs DO like going deep into things, and will be receptive to discussing that kind of thing. Just do it after class rather than before. It won't help you for the exam, but it will help you forge an intellectual friendship with a prof and will improve your law school experience.

I'm experimenting with a new exam strategy this semester,and hoping it works. I have a problem w/timing on exams, so I have to figure out how to get the most points possible in the time I've got. Last semester, in a couple of classes, I wrote in-depth analysis on this or that area, then started running out of time and had to skimp on other parts of the exam.  So, for my last two exams, I aimed to hit a lot of issues but not get into too much depth. I got my best grades in those classes. So, I'm really hoping that this strategy works for me this semester. I know the dissertation method did not work that well.
When you have somebody dying because they are poor and black or poor and white or because of whatever they are ... that erases everything that's great about this country.

-TMcGraw

http://www.wm3.org/splash.php

cyberrev

« Reply #123 on: May 10, 2006, 06:29:56 PM »
it's not the vaccuum's fault, it's the inherent dirt of this sad world.

Nonsense. I received a vision about that harlot jezebel vacuum cleaner of yours and I know what it did in babylon last summer!

are you trojan man's wife? 

No. I am Lady Trojan, Commander(ette?)-in-chief of the Trojan horde. Trojan Man must be one of my loyal minions.

i was in the movie theater once and someone said 'youre blocking my vision' to which i replied, 'i'm sorry, i didnt know you were having a vision.'

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 10, 2006, 06:32:51 PM »

No. I am Lady Trojan, Commander(ette?)-in-chief of the Trojan horde. Trojan Man must be one of my loyal minions.

What in the sam hill is going on here? I am the commander in chief of all things USC Trojan.  Get it straight Lady.   8) 
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1

correguachin

« Reply #125 on: May 10, 2006, 08:17:47 PM »
At Emory, profs have state office hours, but I have yet to encounter a professor that won't answer a question by email or make an appointment to meet with you outside of office hours.

Most have an "unofficial" open door policy.  If the door's open, and they're in there, feel freel to stop by.

Same at my school, posted hours, plus if door is open you are free to come in, or by e-mail, or phone or by appointment. Also a few of my proofs have unofficial outside of school office hours in addition to those posted, like at a coffee shop or something. These are usually for anything not class related, advice on jobs, what classes to take (who to avoid as well), bar prep, good supplements (but for other Profs classes LOL) basically non-class related stuff. Guess they donít want to give that advice in school. Those have been very helpful for me.

I would advise all future law students to go the office hours at least a couple of times a semester, its very helpful, and the Profs like to get to know you. Plus getting to know them will give you better insight into what they are looking for on the exam, or what really gets them excited when they see it used in an answer. That can sometimes be the difference between an A- and an A.

Also ALWAYS go see your prof after an exam to go over it with me. Even if you get the highest grade in the class. I did that for a class I Am Jured, and ended up getting an offer for an internship out of it at the big law firm that prof worked for. So always go get feedback, good or bad, itís helpful and can be more productive than just for grades.

Thanks to everyone.  In your general experience, do the professors' demeanors change outside of class?  Do they become more helpful and guiding in office hours?  Or will questions from students in OH just be responded by the professor with more questions and/or an opportunity to show the student how little he/she knows?

cyberrev

« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2006, 10:12:53 AM »
i was in the movie theater once and someone said 'youre blocking my vision' to which i replied, 'i'm sorry, i didnt know you were having a vision.'

:D Hey aren't you supposed to be providing a good example?

i thought that *was* a good example.  i could have female dog slapped him and stolen his popcorn

zbttoken

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - hokiegrappler11
    • View Profile
    • My MySpace profile -- I'm such a consumer whore.
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2006, 11:31:20 AM »
Wow.  How did I miss this thread?
"Stand for something or fall for anything." -- Malcolm X

"If you find a job that you love, you'll never have to work a day in your life." -- Dr. Christopher Neck (probably taken from some other source).

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=42746550

corbabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2006, 11:53:21 AM »
tag

TrojanChispas

• Sr. Citizen
  • , a worthy adversary
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2006, 07:11:35 PM »

What in the sam hill is going on here? I am the commander in chief of all things USC Trojan.  Get it straight Lady.   8) 

:o A pretender to the throne? My heart aches but my concern for USC is greater than my pain. In-fighting among Trojans gives outsiders hope--do you want to risk a civil war and give the Bruins (oh yea, I went there) hope or are you willing to share power?
Forsooth m'dear Lady, I appologize for my obtuse response.  I would be happy to share power with a fellow Trojan, expecially one as esteemed as yourself and against those villainous scoundrel Bruins.
Arab Majority May Not Stay Forever Silent
http://www.nysun.com/article/36110?page_no=1