Law School Discussion

1L Advice

dbgirl

• View Profile
    • KnowTheTruth
Re: 1L Advice
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2006, 03:05:20 PM »
I agree with most of this ... except the part about people who won't put up much of a fight. I only know a handful of people who are trying to just get by. Most of the people I know want As.
Also, I wish I had known about/could afford Leews last semester.

I would encourage you to speak with your legal writing professor about this issue.  Most students will not confide in others that they don't care, aren't into it, or are just trying to "get by."  That's not the law school thing to do.  However, they will confide in prosessors.  When my lawyering skills professor told me that, it really opened my eyes.  Everyone wants As... difference being who will really try for them.  In law school, there is a *completely* different mindset between someone who gets a diploma and someone in the top 10%.  In my experience, only 30% is competing for the top 10%.

Most of the students I know are trying for As. I know just a couple of people who aren't trying that hard (and one is just naturally good at law school exams.) Also, at my school legal writing is not a GPA course, so it naturally gets the short shrift.

As far as the LEEWS price, you (we) spend tens of thousands on law school.  To not spend $100 seems silly to me.  In retrospect, I wish I would have spent more money in other places.  For instance, it would be sensible to spend $30,000 in LSAT prep work if it enabled you to get to where you wanted to go or paid for school.  Making a ~$100,000 investment and not finding $100 for a proven product is absurd.  Of course, not knowing about it is another issue. :)

First, I am actually poor. So $100 is a lot of money that I didn't have -- it wasn't a matter of a cost/benefit analysis. Granted, if there were some "proof" presented to me that my grades would improve, then perhaps I would have sold something or whatever to buy it. However, it wasn't if I could be assured a benefit. No one I knew used LEEWS -- I learned about it at some point on this board.

However, since I purchased the primer from Amazon (thought I was buying the whole kit but that's a different story), I thought it contained advice that was useful and that I could have used last semester.

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2006, 03:51:57 PM »
what is LEEWS????

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2006, 04:00:19 PM »
what is LEEWS????

it's supposed to help you with law school exams. you can either do a one day seminar or buy the CD set (that comes with a book) and listen to it on your own.

p0six

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2006, 04:40:31 PM »
Tag.

Logic

• "Keeping South Jersey on the map since 1982."
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 09:29:51 AM »
T
A
G

;D

Terabithia

• Wondering and Wishing
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 09:52:47 AM »
tag

AZWildcat

• What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 12:16:28 PM »
Some more things I was thinking about for this thread...

There is a social life:  Don't be caught thinking that the end of your life is near; it isn't.  (Look how long I spend on these boards! :) )  There is always time on weekends to have fun, go clubbing, head to the beach, play golf, etc.  Law School is not an absolute sentence to the library!

You'll be surprised at how smart your classmates are:  Even the biggest dumbass in the class can have something smart to say; it wasn't that way in undergrad! 

It's not that hard, initially:  The reading is time consuming, and certain cases can be rough, but many students find themselves wondering what the big deal is 1-2 months into LS.  LS isn't hard... until finals.  Finals is one of the most stressful times I have been through.  An impossible amount of information to memorize, one grade to determine scholarships, law review, etc, and a forced curve.  I feel like being a 1L is like playing Thursday at the Masters-- you can't win the thing, but you can play yourself out of the tournament. 

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2006, 12:36:42 PM »
Tag

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2006, 12:54:28 PM »
  Great thread, thanks AZ.  I'm working my way through PLS 2 now, the guy's a bit of a lunatic but its been really helpful in terms of making me feel less in the dark.  Interesting stuff about LEEWS, I'm definitely gonna check it out now.  Other than that I think I'll just kick back, read some books I've wanted to read for a while and enjoy my last few months in SoCal.  Working 50 hrs/week is tough though, if only I could get rid of this pesky job... 

monet

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2006, 03:12:34 PM »
great thread! i took at look at the LEEWS website and it says they guarantee Bs in all your classes or your $ back... can't lose