Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Would you sign a pre-nup?

Yes, I'm a guy
No, I'm a guy
Yes, I'm a girl
No, I'm a girl

Author Topic: Pre-nups, yay or nay?  (Read 1700 times)

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Pre-nups, yay or nay?
« on: April 20, 2006, 08:27:24 AM »
I got in a debate with my friends last night.

dbk10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Pre-nups, yay or nay?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 08:43:58 AM »
Fortunately, I believe my girlfriend and I are in complete agreement on this one.

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 08:58:21 AM »
My girlfriend and I are in complete disagreement.  I don't see anything wrong with being practical and having some "insurance".  In a perfect world the pre-nup will gather dust and never be used.

dbk10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 09:18:07 AM »
I used to joke that I was going to be a divorce attorney and have the knowledge to write an iron-clad pre-nup.  That joking around didn't go so well.  But her parents are divorced and we both come from family business backgrounds so we're both pretty level-headed about it.

I'm assuming you're going through this now?

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2006, 09:48:32 AM »
It was more of a general conversation which ended with, "I think  you're going to run into some problems with that idea."

All of the girls I were with last night said they would never sign them and that to do so is pessimistic and sets a negative tone for a marriage.

mto83

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2006, 10:01:12 AM »
It was more of a general conversation which ended with, "I think  you're going to run into some problems with that idea."

All of the girls I were with last night said they would never sign them and that to do so is pessimistic and sets a negative tone for a marriage.

That is why I don't date girls. :P

Beatnik

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 10:18:51 AM »

I don't think the difference of opinion can be generalized to gender.  My guess is it has to do with their net worth relative to who they envision themselves marrying.  If they were likely to marry men compared to whom they have significantly more assets they'd probably see more value in a prenup.
"We are surrounded by insurmountable opportunity." - W. Kelly

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 10:23:10 AM »
I would never sign a prenup (moot - I'm already married), but then again I would probably have never married a rich girl - too many strings usually attached.  I think that the fact we're even having this discussion is a sad commentary on the rampant selfishness and materialism in our society - I'm sure I'll get bashed for it, but I really believe it, and am glad I've found a woman where either of us would've laughed at the idea if it were brought up before marriage. 
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

mccapj2

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 10:25:41 AM »
It's not selfishness and materialism that has anything to do with it.  It is that in this day and age a majority of marriages fail and it is practical to protect yourself from that possibility.  I have car insurance and while I certainly don't plan or hope to get in an accident, if I do, I'll be glad I have the insurance.

Slow Blues

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2006, 10:39:53 AM »

There are ways around this. You can put your assets in a pre-marital trust, which protects them from being split in the event of a divorce. It basically shields your assets. I also voted that I would sign a pre-nup. If you have a decent amount of money, it just seems crazy to hand over half if you both didn't work relatively equally to attain it.