Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OFFICIAL UCLA C/O 2009 THREAD!  (Read 15951 times)

eclecticodoode

• View Profile
Re: OFFICIAL UCLA C/O 2009 THREAD!
« Reply #130 on: July 10, 2006, 08:02:20 PM »
Hey, for those of you that know, what is the dominant computer choice among UCLA Law students? Apparantly UCLA now allows macs to be used for exams so I'm reconsidering the Macbook--along with a few other laptops. 

DragonMind

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2006, 08:27:12 PM »
Am I doing something wrong... anybody else finding that UCLA's "special offers" for purchasing a laptop a bit unimpressive?

I configured 2 identical systems from Dell side-by-side in 2 browsers, one through Dell's main page and the other through the Dell University site (via UCLA & KSTData). The university discount price was actually higher than the one offered through Dell's generic "discount" (by about $59, including tax & shipping).

lawschool09

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 10, 2006, 09:31:18 PM »
Hey, for those of you that know, what is the dominant computer choice among UCLA Law students? Apparantly UCLA now allows macs to be used for exams so I'm reconsidering the Macbook--along with a few other laptops.
---------------------------------------------------------------

Really?  Two weeks ago I spoke to someone from the IT dept. at the law school and he told me that they aren't allowing the macbooks until the exam software company officially changed their position on macs.  Where did you hear this?  I thought that the offer on the Dell Latitude 13 inch notebook was pretty good. 

eclecticodoode

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 10, 2006, 10:05:22 PM »
First, check out this link: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,67051.0.html

Then, check out this link: http://www.maclawstudents.com/exam-software/index.php

The first link states that ExamSoft allows Macs and the second link has an incoming student stating that the IT department now allows macs.

Oh, and BTW, Dells don't produce 13 inch laptops. They do have the 12 inch XPS M1210 if that's what you are talking about.

lawschool09

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 11, 2006, 12:37:30 AM »
Ah, I spoke with them at the end of June.  They must have recently changed their policy...guess I just screwed myself out of getting a macbook.  As for the dell, I was talking about the 12 inch Latitude X1.  I'm not really a PC user, but the computer is much lighter than my old powerbook.  I think that this new dell is only 2.5 lbs.  For 99 bucks, you can get accident coverage in case you drop it and I think that the service plan includes on site service to your apartment/dorm. 

On the topic of computers, does anybody know what we have to do to get extra loans for the computer?  There is a financial aid reevaluation form for it on the financial aid website, but does anyone know how long it takes for this process to happen once we are offered our package?  Someone in financial aid a while ago just told me to keep my receipts and that she couldnt tell me anything specific until aid packages were finalized in July. 

jenery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2006, 09:26:11 PM »
hi guys! i'm class of '08 too but it turns out i'm going to be a lawyering skills writing advisor this year so i might actually get to meet some of you at orientation.  couple of thoughts:

1) a guy in my section got in off the waitlist a day or two before orientation so those of you still waiting, don't give up.
2) ucla financial aid is soooooo slow.  i had friends whose loans weren't disbursed until a couple of weeks after we started.  the fed loans are quicker but my private loan took forever.  ucla will let you take out a short-term emergency loan from them to cover tuition/whatever if this happens to you.
3) i live in the ucla married student housing if anyone has questions about that. it's pretty close geographically to the rest of the ucla off-campus apartments so i can tell you about the area if you're thinking about living in palms/mar vista.

i forgot what else people were asking about but i'm happy to answer q's if i can.

eclecticodoode

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 15, 2006, 02:09:41 AM »
3) i live in the ucla married student housing if anyone has questions about that. it's pretty close geographically to the rest of the ucla off-campus apartments so i can tell you about the area if you're thinking about living in palms/mar vista.

Anyone wanna get a fake marriage going  ;D?  I'm pretty chill, I like to watch the simpsons, family guy, and I have seasons 1 & 2 of Arrested Development on DVD. I only ask for a clean person to live with. I mean, aren't we all marrying because of convenience? Right? Doode, what's love got to do with it? 

Oh BTW, I'm just joking. Please don't take this literally and report this to UCLA, getting me kicked out before I even start, and, and, and thereby ruining my life forever (man, gotta love those run ons).

This thread has been dead for a couple of days.  :-[

Shira

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: July 15, 2006, 03:40:52 AM »
so, is anyone intending to actually pay the SBA dues?  i know 45 bucks isn't that much, but still. . . how important do you think it is to have "priority" locker assignment?

That depends. Do you want your locker to actually be in the law building?

Just a thought. :-)

~S
3.4ish, mid-160's
Accepted: UCLA, Loyola (Los Angeles)
Rejected: USC (whatever!)

*YAY!!!!!!!!*

Momo09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 15, 2006, 04:24:18 AM »

Anyone wanna get a fake marriage going  ;D?  I'm pretty chill, I like to watch the simpsons, family guy, and I have seasons 1 & 2 of Arrested Development on DVD. I only ask for a clean person to live with. I mean, aren't we all marrying because of convenience? Right? Doode, what's love got to do with it? 

Oh BTW, I'm just joking. Please don't take this literally and report this to UCLA, getting me kicked out before I even start, and, and, and thereby ruining my life forever (man, gotta love those run ons).

This thread has been dead for a couple of days.  :-[

Just find a "partner" and you will be fine. ;D
Bruin once again.

Momo09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 15, 2006, 04:25:28 AM »
so, is anyone intending to actually pay the SBA dues?  i know 45 bucks isn't that much, but still. . . how important do you think it is to have "priority" locker assignment?

That depends. Do you want your locker to actually be in the law building?

Just a thought. :-)

~S

I thought the 45 bucks get you priorty for a locker on top.  It may not matter if you're 4'9"
Bruin once again.