Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: OFFICIAL UCLA C/O 2009 THREAD!  (Read 15471 times)

jazmine

Re: OFFICIAL UCLA C/O 2009 THREAD!
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2006, 04:17:37 PM »
Try the east side of campus, along Hilgard.  It's closer to the law school and farther from the frat houses.  I think it's all pretty expensive though. 

Ylily

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2006, 10:24:46 PM »
 :)

Some of the enthusiasm on this thread is infectious...just posting to say...here's another for the class of 2009!

Also, when's a good time to start looking for apartments?  I live about an hour-hour and a half from LA, so I'll probably look for apts other than Weyburn.  Anyone? 

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2006, 10:27:47 PM »
my advice is now. everyone i asked at UCLA grad schools have been singing the praises of weyburn, tho. if you're looking for a roomie, PM me.

Ylily

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2006, 10:48:56 PM »
my advice is now. everyone i asked at UCLA grad schools have been singing the praises of weyburn, tho.

really...i heard the rooms were kinda small.  what exactly did they like about weyburn?  (besides proximity, which I admit sounds great)

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 09, 2006, 12:52:35 AM »
Proximity, and cost given proximity, but proximity equals convenience. For me, paying 950 at weyburn instead of 1200 for a single/studio that's private is a big deal, and it means more $ for me because i'm trying to avoid bringing a car for 1L.

The rooms are small, but it seems to be a really advantageous trade-off given the other options of distance, cost and space that people contend with.

pcv

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2006, 11:37:49 AM »
I sent in my $30 app fee to weyburn over a month ago...and haven't heard anything yet.  Anyone know anything about timeline for finding out about housing?

saltpill

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 09, 2006, 03:39:14 PM »
I was wondering about the Weyburn status, too, so I emailed the UCLA housing office... they said:

---------------

Thank you for using Ask Housing.

The Weyburn lottery pool consists of 570 applicants (and is growing). If you weren't guaranteed housing by the Graduate Department. You are consider a Lottery applicants. A Lottery applicants are not guaranteed housing. Housing is offered to lottery applicants based on space availability. A limited number of lottery applicants are offered housing each academic year. Housing offer or wait list status will be e-mailed to lottery applicants by August.

Thank you,

Jay J.
UCLA Housing Services

----------

I don't know how many spots are available, but this email made me feel like I should start thinking of alternatives.  The thing is, when I had talked to an admissions officer back in March, they made it sound like I (not just me but this year's incoming law students) don't have to worry about securing on-campus housing. 

A bit confusing... wish we could know by June.  If anyone else has any other info, I'd be interested to know :)

saltpill

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 09, 2006, 03:40:20 PM »
btw, the email had interesting grammar

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #58 on: May 09, 2006, 04:01:16 PM »
I was wondering about the Weyburn status, too, so I emailed the UCLA housing office... they said:

---------------

Thank you for using Ask Housing.

The Weyburn lottery pool consists of 570 applicants (and is growing). If you weren't guaranteed housing by the Graduate Department. You are consider a Lottery applicants. A Lottery applicants are not guaranteed housing. Housing is offered to lottery applicants based on space availability. A limited number of lottery applicants are offered housing each academic year. Housing offer or wait list status will be e-mailed to lottery applicants by August.

Thank you,

Jay J.
UCLA Housing Services

----------

I don't know how many spots are available, but this email made me feel like I should start thinking of alternatives.  The thing is, when I had talked to an admissions officer back in March, they made it sound like I (not just me but this year's incoming law students) don't have to worry about securing on-campus housing. 

A bit confusing... wish we could know by June.  If anyone else has any other info, I'd be interested to know :)

they dont give you much time to find other housing options

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 09, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
I was told the end of may/early june. which is a lame, lame answer.