Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: this sucks..Yale vs. NYU full ride  (Read 59629 times)

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: this sucks..Yale vs. NYU full ride
« Reply #90 on: April 21, 2006, 12:57:51 AM »
I hate my life. Please leave some input on this decision. Thanks

-Shivenstein

Another mofo who has lost perspective on life. Shivenstein there are people who don't have a roof over their head. I tell you what send deposits to both and I'll attend one for you.

Fidelio

« Reply #91 on: April 21, 2006, 05:09:40 AM »
Okay, Jeffcoat, I'm willing to buy into your original contention if you simply walk us through the thought process leading you to the brilliant and correct conclusion that image-googling the word "Jew" would find a picture matching the OP's.

He knows how trolls think.

The secret is, they don't.  Random word, throw on Stein, it sounds Jewish.  Put up Semitic looking picture.  Say you went to Vassar (>20% Jewish).  Say you are debating on straight up admission to best law school in country vs full ride at fourth best law school in country (utilizing stereotype that Jews are invariably academic overachievers).  Say your numbers are near perfect, but not *too* perfect, just to seal the deal.  Come on.  I don't know if he even missed any Jewish stereotypes.

I really fail to see how recognizing overt attempts at making Jewish stereotypes makes ME anti-Semitic.

Well, I have noticed one is quickly charged with anti-semitism for almost anything.  Even in politics if one discusses Israel's heinous actions in the middle east they get accused of being anti-semitic.  For example, John Mearsheimerm a Harvard Professor recently wrote an insightful article on Israel's maniuplation of our foreign policy, in response you see a plethora of articles accusing him of anti-semitism. 

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 21, 2006, 05:44:34 AM »
Even in politics if one discusses Israel's heinous actions in the middle east they get accused of being anti-semitic.  For example, John Mearsheimerm a Harvard Professor recently wrote an insightful article on Israel's maniuplation of our foreign policy, in response you see a plethora of articles accusing him of anti-semitism. 

It's one thing to argue that Israel has committed heinous actions in the Middle East. It's another to make shadowy allegations about Israel "manipulating our foreign policy." The latter is very close to being anti-Semitic.

And Mearsheimer is a UChicago professor who co-wrote that particular paper with Stephen Walt, a Harvard guy. The response to the paper has been a fairly robust debate in which both the issue he raises and issues of anti-Semitism have been brought up.
Columbia 2L.

Fidelio

« Reply #93 on: April 21, 2006, 06:13:00 AM »
Even in politics if one discusses Israel's heinous actions in the middle east they get accused of being anti-semitic.  For example, John Mearsheimerm a Harvard Professor recently wrote an insightful article on Israel's maniuplation of our foreign policy, in response you see a plethora of articles accusing him of anti-semitism. 

It's one thing to argue that Israel has committed heinous actions in the Middle East. It's another to make shadowy allegations about Israel "manipulating our foreign policy." The latter is very close to being anti-Semitic.

And Mearsheimer is a UChicago professor who co-wrote that particular paper with Stephen Walt, a Harvard guy. The response to the paper has been a fairly robust debate in which both the issue he raises and issues of anti-Semitism have been brought up.

Robust debate? Well, I have yet to see a worthy and scholarly
reply to Mearsheimer and Walt's article. http://www.lrb.co.uk/v28/n06/print/mear01_.html

Though I have seen scores of articles that attempts to undermine their work by the "anti-semitic/or close to anti-semitic" allegation.

Moreoever, one can talk against the government of Sudan's policy without making them Anti-Semitic the same applies for discussing Israel on a negative light. 

Nevertheless without veering off-topic here, I think the OP whatever his agenda is, was rightfully exposed by some of the posters here on this thread.  I also don't get how some of the issues one of the posters brought up here surmises to any type of anti-semitism on his part. 

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 21, 2006, 06:38:13 AM »
I don't really want to discuss the Mearsheimer paper much here because I am too close to it personally. If you want to see some of the debate it has provoked, Daniel Drezner has blogged about it extensively:
www.danieldrezner.com/blog

Search his site and you will find about a dozen links to articles that dissect the argument from all sides.

Let me point out, though, the crucial leap you made that is important. You argue that it should be ok to criticize Israel's policies, just as it is ok to criticize Sudan's policies, or those of any other country. However, in your original post, you talk about Israel's "manipulation of our foreign policy." That is not a criticism of their policies, that is a conspiratorial allegation, and one that almost no one ever makes in regard to other countries. (No one talks about Pakistan's "manipulation of our policies, despite the fact that America has been fairly consistently pro-Pakistan)

Also, Mearsheimer and Walt themselves never use that language in their paper either. Language like that is very close to language that has been used by anti-Semites throughout history, and thus should be avoided. By all means, argue against Israel's policies. But be very cautious before you start claiming there is some behind-the-scenes conspiracy that manipulates our country.
Columbia 2L.

SCgrad

« Reply #95 on: April 21, 2006, 07:43:16 AM »
can we stop the intellectual debate and get back to exposing Trolly McTrollerson, 28-year-old virgin living in his parents basement.  funniest thread ever.

Jeffcoats: Bravo

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 21, 2006, 07:54:58 AM »
Good point. Sorry about the seriousness. This was a fantastic catch of a true idiot.
Columbia 2L.

spanishpolice

• Sr. Citizen
  • Oh well, there'll always be the Steelers
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 21, 2006, 07:56:38 AM »
Well, I have noticed one is quickly charged with anti-semitism for almost anything.  Even in politics if one discusses Israel's heinous actions in the middle east they get accused of being anti-semitic.  For example, John Mearsheimerm a Harvard Professor recently wrote an insightful article on Israel's maniuplation of our foreign policy, in response you see a plethora of articles accusing him of anti-semitism. 

Don't you know Optimus Prime was Jewish?
Hutz: Mrs. Simpson, your case is just what I need to rebuild my shattered practice. Care to join me in a belt of Scotch?
Marge: It's nine o'clock in the morning.
Hutz: Yeah, but I haven't slept in days.

krumanadi

« Reply #98 on: April 21, 2006, 10:31:18 AM »
can we stop the intellectual debate and get back to exposing Trolly McTrollerson, 28-year-old virgin living in his parents basement.  funniest thread ever.
Jeffcoats: Bravo

Without a doubt...

Fidelio

« Reply #99 on: April 21, 2006, 04:48:54 PM »
I don't really want to discuss the Mearsheimer paper much here because I am too close to it personally. If you want to see some of the debate it has provoked, Daniel Drezner has blogged about it extensively:
www.danieldrezner.com/blog

Search his site and you will find about a dozen links to articles that dissect the argument from all sides.

Let me point out, though, the crucial leap you made that is important. You argue that it should be ok to criticize Israel's policies, just as it is ok to criticize Sudan's policies, or those of any other country. However, in your original post, you talk about Israel's "manipulation of our foreign policy." That is not a criticism of their policies, that is a conspiratorial allegation, and one that almost no one ever makes in regard to other countries. (No one talks about Pakistan's "manipulation of our policies, despite the fact that America has been fairly consistently pro-Pakistan)

Also, Mearsheimer and Walt themselves never use that language in their paper either. Language like that is very close to language that has been used by anti-Semites throughout history, and thus should be avoided. By all means, argue against Israel's policies. But be very cautious before you start claiming there is some behind-the-scenes conspiracy that manipulates our country.

Paul Findley a former representative from Illinois wrote an insightful book called "They Dare to Speak Out" over twenty years ago about Israel's powerful lobby here in the US.  Apart from the NY Times, the book received glowing reviews from the media.  What is strange is that the contents of the book was extensively similiar to M&W's article on Israel's influence on US foreign policy. 

Yet the charge of anti-semitism wasn't alleged then.  Interestingly enough now things have greatly changed. 

With all things considered I could have used Israel's influence instead of manipulation, but that's not the crux of the matter if you want to quibble on this issue more, your on your own.  I have stated before that individuals are quick to fire off and allege anti-semitism where that just simply isn't the case.