Law School Discussion

2 or 3 recs?

2 or 3 recs?
« on: April 18, 2006, 10:12:25 AM »
Ok, so I have two recs from 2 of my profs already locked (as in the agreed to do it and leave it on file for me once I graduate).

However...should I try to find a third?  I have no idea who else I could ask that would write me a good rec.  I was thinking about an employer, but by the time I apply this year, I don't know how long I would have known him/her and whether they would write me a good one. (Or, could I get my supervisor from my '05 summer internship to write me one?)

So should I try to scramble up a third?  Are three even necessary?

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: 2 or 3 recs?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 12:25:06 PM »
Ok, so I have two recs from 2 of my profs already locked (as in the agreed to do it and leave it on file for me once I graduate).

However...should I try to find a third?  I have no idea who else I could ask that would write me a good rec.  I was thinking about an employer, but by the time I apply this year, I don't know how long I would have known him/her and whether they would write me a good one. (Or, could I get my supervisor from my '05 summer internship to write me one?)

I'm trying to go for three.  I already have two profs in lock.  One's my b-law prof who I've taken 2 classes with and really interacted with her (and it doesn't hurt that she's a HY law grad, can't remember which one).  The other is an accounting prof, took 2 classes with him and TAed one of those classes. I would like to get a recommendation from work, either from my mentor or the person in HR who organises the mgmt training program (she's more like my boss than anyone else).  But i don't want to tell my job i'm leaving until its a done deal, because they've put so much into training etc that i dont want to let them down.  So I'm not sure.

I'd say go for three, an extra that shows a diff perspective can't hurt.

Re: 2 or 3 recs?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 01:27:09 PM »

I'm trying to go for three.  I already have two profs in lock.  One's my b-law prof who I've taken 2 classes with and really interacted with her (and it doesn't hurt that she's a HY law grad, can't remember which one).  The other is an accounting prof, took 2 classes with him and TAed one of those classes. I would like to get a recommendation from work, either from my mentor or the person in HR who organises the mgmt training program (she's more like my boss than anyone else).  But i don't want to tell my job i'm leaving until its a done deal, because they've put so much into training etc that i dont want to let them down.  So I'm not sure.

I'd say go for three, an extra that shows a diff perspective can't hurt.

Yea I think I'm going to go for a third prof...I have the person in mind and my friend said that I should def ask him because he's pretty well known in his chosen field and he tends to hook people up with their recs.