Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Early Reading Start  (Read 1958 times)

kokings

• View Profile
Early Reading Start
« on: April 17, 2006, 08:58:31 PM »
Is it possible to get the books we will be using in the fall and get an early start on them for the fall... has anyone heard of anyone doing this and is it recommended?

Where can I purchase the exact books... is there a website or something

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Early Reading Start
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2006, 04:45:53 AM »
I think there are some things to read that might give a basic preparation for someone with no legal experience. The key is to get an overview of what you'll be learning, not read a casebook. I just read American Courts by Daniel Meador, and I understand the judicial system's set-up a lot better now. Also, a friend who is in law school gave me his copy of the Sum and Substance contracts CD, and I listened to it a few times at the gym. It's not incredibly detailed- just about five hours of the basic terms you'll be learning in Contracts. It won't reduce the amount of studying I'll have come fall, but I'll at least feel more comfortable knowing the scope of a contracts class and what to expect. The Sum and Substance CD was so good that I'm thinking of getting the ones for Torts and the other 1L subjects.

I've been working full-time for the past five years, so the whole "take-it-easy-for-the-summer" advice just doesn't work in my situation. Besides, like about 95 percent of the people planning to go to law school, I'm a complete Type A personality.
Georgetown

Esq Now

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2006, 09:06:19 AM »
Besides, like about 95 percent of the people planning to go to law school, I'm a complete Type A personality.

This illustrates an important point: whether you "should" read prep materials during the summer before LS depends totally on your personality.  If (like me) you're the kind of person who becomes more stressed by not preparing, then by all means go ahead and read all you want.  (Some suggestions follow.)  If, by contrast, you're the kind of person who gets stressed by any mention of LS before the first day of classes, then just take it easy.  I had classmates who did that and ended up with grades as good as mine.

So . . . IF you plan to read prep materials, here are a few suggestions:

- The Complete Law School Companion, by Jeff Deaver.  This is a little dated, but it has a good plan of attack for Type As.

- Getting to Maybe, by Rich Fischl and Jeremy Paul.  How to take LS exams.  I wish I had read this as a 1L.

- One L, by Scott Turow.  Though this is about 30 years old now, it still gives the best overview of what LS is like.  But keep in mind that it's extremely over-dramatized.

- Civil Procedure: Examples and Explanations, by Joseph Glannon.  Try this one only if you're very ambitious and/or anal.  This is an excellent hornbook that 1Ls have relied on for over a decade. 

Equity is crunchy on the outside, soft and chewy on the inside.

kokings

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 10:40:13 PM »
Thanks for the recomendations on the books and the tapes... 4CDLaw where can I find the tapes you are listening to?  Also would a place like barnes and noble or borders have a book like civil procedure: examples and explanations?

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2006, 10:44:47 PM »
You can find a lot of the Sum and Substance tapes and CDs used on Amazon or ebay. They're also available new on Amazon, but it doesn't make sense to pay the full price. Also, I'm pretty sure that most law school libraries have the tapes and CDs, but you'd have to wait until the fall.

Abebooks.com is a great place to get used version of the books. Just make sure that it's the most current version.

Thanks for the recomendations on the books and the tapes... 4CDLaw where can I find the tapes you are listening to?  Also would a place like barnes and noble or borders have a book like civil procedure: examples and explanations?
Georgetown

Esq Now

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 05:45:09 AM »
Ditto what 4DClaw said.  Another option is to go to the bookstore of whatever law school is nearest you now.  LS bookstores usually have tons of hornbooks, especially Glannon.  But they charge full price, of course.

rojo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 05:11:41 PM »
What about fun material that will help my brain get back into shape?  It doesn’t have to be law related.
I'm often wrong

rojo - seriously, if and when I have boyfriend problems, I'm coming to you.

Esq Now

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 07:21:07 PM »
What about fun material that will help my brain get back into shape?  It doesn’t have to be law related.

Try The Undercover Economist, by Tim Harford.  Fun and interesting, but also requires some effort on the reader's part.  Other possibilities are In Praise of Commercial Culture, by Tyler Cowen, and Being Good, by Simon Blackburn.

rojo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 07:43:22 PM »
Thanks.  Have you heard of foucault's pendulum?  I have heard it is supposed to be good.
I'm often wrong

rojo - seriously, if and when I have boyfriend problems, I'm coming to you.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 09:40:02 PM »
I've already completed all the reading for my classes and my outline is over 400 pages single spaced.