Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: cooley rankings  (Read 3663 times)

eatdrinkbemerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
cooley rankings
« on: April 17, 2006, 05:10:57 PM »
how serious are cooley's rankings? Would anyone ever consider these as an alternative to US news?I am just wondering because it puts some schools I have thought about attending much higher than us news(mainly suffolk).

galex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: cooley rankings
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 05:31:52 PM »
If you agree with the factors/weighting that Cooley uses, I don't see a problem with using it as a guide. 
Just realize that no one else takes it seriously.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 05:33:28 PM »
this is thread intended as a joke?

eatdrinkbemerry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 07:20:32 PM »
I just wanted some feedback. I have a hard time taking anything with that name in it seriously, but i was looking for some justifaction for choosing a t4 over a much higher ranked school.

It is very hard to take a ranking of law schools seriously when....
1.cooley is placed in front of UC Hastings,Duke,Stanford,and many other great schools.
2. Suffolk which I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt places higher than u chicago.I would like to find a grad from suffolk who found better job prospects than a chicago grad.  Scalia and Obama were alumni vs. ????????

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 08:59:19 PM »
The conventional wisdom is the laugh at the Cooley rankings, but they do give some indication of how well the schools stack up in terms of faculty/employees and some rough indicator of physical resources.

As always, more is usually but not always better. The Cooley rankings measure "stuff," but not the quality of that "stuff." E.g. you can have 200 professors, but if all of them suck, they will be less effective than 60 professors who are generally quite good.

http://www.cooley.edu/rankings/intro_7th.htm#factors

That being said, I'm not complaining. Temple University has a lot of "stuff," hence our recent moves forward in the Cooley rankings. ;D

how serious are cooley's rankings? Would anyone ever consider these as an alternative to US news?I am just wondering because it puts some schools I have thought about attending much higher than us news(mainly suffolk).

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2006, 08:06:56 PM »
Scalia and Obama both taught at Chicago. Both went to HLS, I believe. Still, your point stands. If Cooley measures quantity of professors but not quality, then you get the same points for some complete nobody as you do for having Scalia and Obama on your faculty, which is clearly insane. And it is nearly impossible to justify ranking a school like Suffolk over a school like Chicago.

2. Suffolk which I was trying to give the benefit of the doubt places higher than u chicago.I would like to find a grad from suffolk who found better job prospects than a chicago grad.  Scalia and Obama were alumni vs. ????????
Columbia 2L.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2006, 09:06:11 PM »
Most Cooley profs are from Cooley.  I don't want to go to a place where they recyle the same knowledge over and over.

Dunson II

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 09:29:14 PM »
Most Cooley profs are from Cooley.  I don't want to go to a place where they recyle the same knowledge over and over.

their 50% bar passage rate is troubling as well.

The most troubling thing of all is that a Judge ordered that they couldn't open a new campus because of such horrible factors as their bar passage rate.

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 09:37:39 PM »
how/why are they still accredited?

Dunson II

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 09:40:48 PM »
how/why are they still accredited?

They are being reevaluated or something last I heard, possibly could lose it, that was part of the court case, but that may all be done by now...