Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone attending ASDs purely for the free food and/or drinks?  (Read 608 times)

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
  • make me "beautiful"...make me a perfect lie...
    • View Profile
    • LSN
So I'm pretty set on where I'm headed to school in the fall but I have two schools that have invited me to admitted student events and I'm contemplating attending these events simply for the chance to get free food/drinks. Is this a major faux pas? I don't wanna be a pr!ck. By doing this, I have yet to withdraw from these schools and I know people on waitlists plus those with no decisions yet would benefit from my withdrawals. I dunno...rarely do I get anything for free and this cycle has been such a hectic one for me so I figure these events would be a nice cap to the whole process being over.

flydog

Re: Anyone attending ASDs purely for the free food and/or drinks?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2006, 05:14:44 PM »
I dont think they will get upset about free sandwiches and kool aid. If you accept free plane tickets to a school you know you will not attent that may be a major faux pas.

I think you will find a lot of happy hours have things like free weenies and pretzels so you dont have to pose as a potential law student for free food

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2006, 06:37:31 PM »
yea i definitely won't be flying anywhere- that's a little too much :D...i'm basically considering going to touro's event mostly because they're having an all out dinner (with courses I suspect) not the regular cookies and potato chips with punch deal. i guess they're trying to spruce things up especially with their new law school. vermont is having some thing at a bar- that i may pass up since i'm not 100% sure the drinks are free. as it is i think i may be headed to the dinner :-\

veganchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2006, 06:47:01 PM »
I think it's a great networking opportunity and you should go for it.  I only made it to one ASD.  They kinda wear you out.  :P
Pepperdine it is.  I'm a sucker for an ocean view.

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2006, 07:54:19 PM »
I have gone to as many ASWs and regional receptions as possible for the primary purpose of drinking, eating for free, and meeting folks.

Enjoy yourself.

cyberrev

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2006, 08:01:01 PM »
So I'm pretty set on where I'm headed to school in the fall but I have two schools that have invited me to admitted student events and I'm contemplating attending these events simply for the chance to get free food/drinks. Is this a major faux pas? I don't wanna be a pr!ck. By doing this, I have yet to withdraw from these schools and I know people on waitlists plus those with no decisions yet would benefit from my withdrawals. I dunno...rarely do I get anything for free and this cycle has been such a hectic one for me so I figure these events would be a nice cap to the whole process being over.

make sure you eat enough to get your application/lsac fees back

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2006, 08:43:37 PM »

make sure you eat enough to get your application/lsac fees back
hahaha good plan.

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SPerkinsManheim
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2006, 08:50:31 AM »
So I'm pretty set on where I'm headed to school in the fall but I have two schools that have invited me to admitted student events ... I have yet to withdraw from these schools.

By "pretty set", does that mean you are still waffling or does that mean you have already made your decision?  I would not say you're an a$$hole for snagging some chicken fingers and fruit juice to recoup your application and LSDAS fees (and wasted seat deposit?).  However, if you have known with certainty for some time that you're attending another school, then you ARE being an a$$hole for sitting on a spot out of ego/laziness/whatever instead of withdrawing once you made your decision. 

Alot of folks on LSD don't believe in withdrawals at all, and just take the they'll-figure-it-out-when-I-don't-send-a-seat-deposit-or-show-up-in-the-Fall tact... either out of ego, laziness, or a misguided notion of "getting back at the system" for causing them so much stress over the past year(s).  Telling someone to withdraw your app from a school they know they won't attend is probably a minority position here.  However, being a practicing attorney who isn't a completely miserable scumbag puts you in a minority position as well.  Let your conscience be your guide... and if you don't have a conscience, just try to stay within ABA ethics guidelines if you can.

LawSchoolHopeful2009

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2006, 03:48:33 PM »
haha well i'm definitely not an overqualified candidate so my spot will go fairly quickly :D. i don't think withdrawing is a big matter of ethics it's just whether you want to be nice or not. I've withdrawn from all but 3 of my remaining schools as I only made my final choice yesterday so it's not like i've been sitting on acceptances out of laziness/spite/ or whatever. i'm not staying on lists purely for hotdogs, like i said the only one i'm considering is the touro dinner and i just got that admit over the weekend so at most, i'll only be on their list for 2 weeks before i withdraw- that's not that bad. someone has asked me on my lsn to withdraw from cuny and i kindly said i would by the end of the week, and I will be doing the same with vermont- this is only because i wanna be nice. however, i don't owe anyone anything. i didn't pay $72 or whatever to be accepted and withdraw the next day- i at least want to put my money to use by going to the dinner. just my thought.

AtlantaSteve

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - SPerkinsManheim
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2006, 06:16:50 PM »
it's not like i've been sitting on acceptances out of laziness/spite/ or whatever ... the only one i'm considering is the touro dinner and i just got that admit over the weekend so at most, i'll only be on their list for 2 weeks before i withdraw ... someone has asked me on my lsn to withdraw from cuny and i kindly said i would by the end of the week, and I will be doing the same with vermont- this is only because i wanna be nice.

You sound fine, man... no worries.  If my tone was harsh, its less a reflection on you and more on boorish attitudes in general from past arguments here.  "F*ck 'em, they'll figure it out when I don't show up this fall," is more or less a verbatim quote.  This board has a pretty strong ostentatious and mercenary streak (especially with the younger crowd coming straight out of undergrad).