Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CUNY Fall 2006 thread  (Read 9031 times)

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CUNY Fall 2006 thread
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2006, 01:39:55 PM »
Have you started applying for the private loans? That's next on my summer "to-do" list. Also, I need to get health insurance. I have a couple of minor on-going health issues that I need keep an eye on, and I won't be able to afford to pay out-of-pocket.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 06:07:00 PM »
No, I haven't started...I haven't even gotten my financial aid award letter yet!

I might not take out any private loans..I really don't want to be too far in debt. My partner just graduated law school and has 100k in debt and I already have about 45k from undergrad, so I don't want to borrow too much!  I'll be working part-time and bringing in about $1300 a month and with her salary, we can squeak by without loans. If we can't, I can always apply later...we'll see.

Luckily I'm able to get on her health insurance, so I won't have to worry about that!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2006, 10:59:01 PM »
You guys, I think I'm getting rejected! I haven't heard anything yet.  I called the admissions office the other day, and they said I was still under review.  At this late stage, that does not seem like a good sign.  :(

In any case, I'm still hoping this is a possibility for me, so I'm going to hang around in this thread, if that's okay.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

ivywhore

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2006, 11:05:22 PM »
Do you even want to go to a school that hasn't bothered to give you an answer this late in the process??

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2006, 11:22:12 PM »
I live in NY already, so the timing is not such a big deal to me.  I have been concerned, however, about how disorganized the administration is in general.  I've been working in underfunded non-profits for too long, and sometimes it's comforting when bureaucratic stuff is seamless.  It makes life easier.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2006, 02:04:09 PM »
I think their process takes longer because they're focusing on factors beyond just GPA and LSAT. I mean, I'm sure it's easier to make admission decisions when you come up with an Index Number for every application (based on LSAT and GPA formula) and then can go through and determine who the easy ins and easy outs are.  But, at CUNY, they're looking in depth at the resume and the writing statement, etc.  That is a process that takes longer. 

I think a lot of people get their decisions from CUNY in May...so, I'm sure you'll get it in the next week or so!

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2006, 02:38:29 PM »
Miss P- I wouldn't get discouraged. I'd say that the fact that they are still considering your application is a reason to be optimistic in itself.

At any rate, I do agree with your concern about the administrative disorganization. I have a friend in a Master's program at Hunter (also a CUNY) and he complains about the fin aid office, etc. He does not, however, complain about the quality of the education. Since we all want to become lawyers of some sort, navigating through a bureaucratic office should be something that we will want to get used to.

Butch- Good for you on the financial front. You're making me want to get married!

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2006, 03:02:18 PM »
Administrative disorganization runs amuck in more expensive schools too...I had a friend who went to Columbia grad school and they were constnatly messing up her stuff. And she was paying $40k a year!

I will just be happy to get my financial aid award letter!  I'm also eager to get more information about the fall, etc. I guess since I applied for 2005 and then deferred, it feels like it's been FOREVER now!

Catamount - it definitely helps having a partner to help support you. I helped support her while she was in law school and now she's doing the same.  It'd be really hard to go it alone!

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2006, 03:22:49 PM »
Butch- if you don't mind me asking, what is the status of gay marriage legality in New York?

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 11, 2006, 04:20:14 PM »
Question about banking that is not necessarily directed to only CUNY students, but I would like y'all's input.

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,62398.0.html