Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CUNY Fall 2006 thread  (Read 9470 times)

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CUNY Fall 2006 thread
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2006, 11:25:04 PM »
You got the calendar today?  Weird, I haven't gotten it.  I hope that they've corrected my address by now!  I moved in January, but some offices still keep sending to the old address! Is there anything else you've gotten in teh last couple of weeks?  I finally had to get them to mail the financial aid stuff, so I just got that turned in!

Do you have a class schedule in terms of times of class, etc? Or just the academic year calendar?

FTM = Female to Male transgender...

Not sure NLG...

SFQueer, I id as butch, but sometimes genderqueer...feel free to drop me a line!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2006, 11:36:04 PM »
Mostly, I'm just tagging this thread in the event that I am offered admission!

Meanwhile, NLG = National Lawyers Guild.  It's the lefty lawyers' association.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 08:18:19 AM »
The schedule they sent out was a "draft" with some of the dates marked as TBD; it is just an academic calendar, not a class schedule. No other mailings in the past couple of weeks, but you might want to call the school to make sure they got your address right because they are sending out award letters this week.

Anybody have any luck researching scholarships? It seems like all I've found is a bunch of dead ends.

You got the calendar today?  Weird, I haven't gotten it.  I hope that they've corrected my address by now!  I moved in January, but some offices still keep sending to the old address! Is there anything else you've gotten in teh last couple of weeks?  I finally had to get them to mail the financial aid stuff, so I just got that turned in!

Do you have a class schedule in terms of times of class, etc? Or just the academic year calendar?

FTM = Female to Male transgender...

Not sure NLG...

SFQueer, I id as butch, but sometimes genderqueer...feel free to drop me a line!

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 10:10:50 AM »
My financial aid application never got to me til very late March, so I just got it sent in a couple of days ago.  So, I don't expect my award letter this week...but I'm going to keep after them to send it soon!  (Not that I expect anything other than loans!)  So, it looks like there are several of us paying out of state tuition...yeeha! lol.

No luck with scholarships...I found a couple that would have applied, but I missed the deadline by a few days. Drats!  There's just so much to do!

NLG = National Lawyer's Guild...duh, I knew that! Too much on the brain.  Yes, I'll be joining them too!

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 10:20:34 AM »
Oh - did any of you visit CUNY?  What did you think? 

I did last year and I liked the environment of the school...it felt very homey, almost like high school in a way, which felt less intimidating. When I sat in on a class, it felt like the objective of the class was more to work together to learn...vs an environment where the purpose seems to be to embarass you or scare you or put you through bootcamp to see who is strong nad who is weak.  That felt good.

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2006, 10:43:52 AM »
Yeah, out of state still isn't that bad when compared to most other schools! Plus, after 1 year you are eligible for in-state, right? I will be applying for residency this time next year.

I did visit the school last month. It did seem a bit like highschool- that's probably because the building is a converted elementary school. I sat in on a Civil Procedure class, and the professor was really cool. The admissions office paired me with a 1L, and he sat in the front row- he was one of those "gunners" that you read about (always raising his hand, etc.). He definately knew the material, and it was good to observe someone's note-taking process.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2006, 11:21:07 AM »
I've heard that CUNY is very strict about allowing in-state residency...they scrutinize you to make sure you're not just claiming instate so you can get the tuition, but rather than you plan on being a resident of NY.  I think you have to sign an affidavit promising to be a resident of NY for 5 years after graduation or something like that.  Way different than when my gf went to Rutgers and she just went to them at the beginning of the semester and they gave her in-state tuition for that semester!

But you're right, out of state tuition isn't that bad...it's still cheaper than the other schools.

That's cool about sitting in on the class...I sat in on Torts with Berg. She was great and the class was nice and relaxed. The 1L who took me around wasn't in that class...and I didnt see any "gunners." 

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2006, 11:39:17 AM »
So - today I did a test-run of my commute and am VERY happy to report that it's much,  much better than I thought.  It only took me 40 minutes to drive from here to CUNY, during morning rush hour! That SO rocks, b/c I was planning on up to 90. So, I figure I can leave about 65 minutes early and that will either get me to school 25 mins early or give me 25 minutes of leeway in case of traffic problems. Yay!!!  This really rocks...I get to live in the niceness of my JC neighborhood w/ a great apartment, yet have teh same commute time as if I lived in Astoria. Phew!

Catamount - yes, administrative disorganization seems highly likely at CUNY!

What's everyone doing for health insurance? The school doesn't have any policies and the student who gave me a tour said most students just get medicaid.  Luckily my partner will be able to provide insurance for me..phew.

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2006, 01:17:11 PM »
Regarding health insurance: I picked up a pamphlet at school for an plan through the ABA, which offers Gerber Life coverage. I am familiar with the NY Medicaid system from my current job as a hospital financial counselor, so I will be looking into that as well. If I find any information that should be shared, I will post it.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2006, 11:32:34 PM »
So, CUNY's homepage says "watch this space for a major announcement (coming april 25)". 

Any guesses??