Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CUNY Fall 2006 thread  (Read 9653 times)

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
CUNY Fall 2006 thread
« on: April 17, 2006, 03:37:56 PM »
OK- anyone who is definately going to CUNY this fall, please announce yourselves! Any thoughts/information on orientation, living situations, start of classes, moving to Queens?

I will be moving from Vermont to Queens (big change!) on June 1st.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CUNY Fall 2006 thread
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 11:23:38 AM »
I'm going to Queens this fall...

I was supposed to go LAST fall, but ended up deferring for financial reasons. (My partner was still in her final year of law school and we couldn't swing us both being students.)

Sign up for myspace.com and you can browse the profiles of other CUNY Law students. That's what I've done. It's kinda cool to find out about them.

I think the thing I hate least about CUNY is it's location. It's really not convenient to any part of NYC, except for Queens. And I really hate Flushing.

Anyone know if they are doing the summer institute this year? 

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 11:39:14 AM »
Catamount - do you already have a place lined up in Queens?  Where?  Are you sharing or renting your own?

I live in Jersey City and love it here (awesome luxury apt near the waterfront), so I'm staying.  I'm just NOT a fan of Queens at all...my commute will be 60-75 minutes, but that's not bad considering that if I lived in Astoria it'd probably still be at least 45.

Have you visited the law school? What'd you think of hte building and classrooms? It felt cozy to me.  The only thing I really disliked is a lack of a decent lunchroom or cafe. It's going to get old eating PBJ's or microwavable foods!

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 11:46:48 AM »
Speaking of living situations:

We have a huge 3 bedroom, 2 bath apartment in a brand new (we're first tenants) doorman building in Jersey City. We're a couple of blocks from the PATH, parks, the mall, tons of cute restaurants and bars. We love it here! It's perfect.

We'd consider taking in another CUNY law student as a roomie, just to help cut costs while I'm in school. I'll be purchasing a car and driving to school daily (60-75 mins), so it'd be nice to have someone to share the commute with and maybe take turns at the wheel.

If you're interested, let me know.

Alternatively - if anyone is already in NJ and wants to carpool, let me know!

SFQueer

• My cat oscar
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 11:49:41 AM »
I am pretty sure that I will be attending CUNY this fall. I just found out about my admissions and still need to work out the details. It's a big move, but I'm excited!

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 12:17:26 PM »
I have not found a place yet, but I am constantly searching Craigslist. There are alot of places, but they seem to go fast. I am planning a weekend in May to go down to Queens- I was trying to make all my arangements from up here (Vermont), but I realize that this is business that I will need to take care of in person.

I'm primarily looking in the Astoria area. I am not fully familiar with Queens, but I stayed a weekend with a friend in Jackson Heights, and took the commute to the law school, so I am comfortable enough to choose neighborhoods. Flushing did not seem like an area I would want to live. I would rather be close enough to commute to school, but also be able to escape to Manhattan if needed.

The commute from Jackson Heights was about 1/2 hour, and I imagine Astoria would add another 20-30 mins on to the commute.

Regarding the Summer Law Inst., are we selected for participation, or is there an application process? I haven't quite gotten that far yet.

Catamount - do you already have a place lined up in Queens?  Where?  Are you sharing or renting your own?

I live in Jersey City and love it here (awesome luxury apt near the waterfront), so I'm staying.  I'm just NOT a fan of Queens at all...my commute will be 60-75 minutes, but that's not bad considering that if I lived in Astoria it'd probably still be at least 45.

Have you visited the law school? What'd you think of hte building and classrooms? It felt cozy to me.  The only thing I really disliked is a lack of a decent lunchroom or cafe. It's going to get old eating PBJ's or microwavable foods!

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 04:29:34 PM »
Catamount - yeah, the girl who gave me a tour last year said it was about 45-50 minutes from Astoria... I'd rather live there than Flushing too.  And, the apartments do go very, very fast...that's one thing I hate about NYC! You really can't plan very far in advance, but rather have to rent a place within a coulpe of weeks within your move. 

SFQueer - I'm assuming you're queer :) and from San Fran?  Are you going to join OutLaws? I looked on MySpace and it seems like there are tons of queers at CUNY, so I'm excited about that!

Summer Law Institute is selected, I think...for students they think need the extra edge (those who have been out of school awhile, minorities, those who had trouble in undergrad, etc.) I wasn't sure if they were doing it this year or not...

SFQueer

• My cat oscar
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 07:20:58 PM »
Yup, I live in SF and I'm an FTM.  I've heard that there are a few other FTM"s that go to CUNY now also, which is great! I am planning on being involved with the queer group and the NLG.

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 07:24:25 PM »
Butch- sorry for asking the same questions on 2 posts! Anyway, I am interested in the Summer Law Inst, but I haven't heard anything about it from the school. There is a blurb on the website, but not many details. I think I will contact the school this week to inquire further. I'll post any details I find.

I got the calendar for Fall 06 in the mail today- classes start 8/28. I'm very excited (I'm sure I'll look back on my excitement with disdain when I'm knee-deep in reading, but hopefully the positive attitude will hold over for a while!).

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 07:32:10 PM »
I'm a straight white male, but I glad that CUNY has a diverse student body. Experiencing diversity is key to working in public service. Vermont, where I live, is pretty homogenous (the second whitest state in the US). My town (Burlington) is a nice little college town, and is pretty politically liberal, and is quite tolerant of sexual orientation.

If you don't mind me asking, what does FTM and NLG stand for?