Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CUNY Fall 2006 thread  (Read 9740 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: CUNY Fall 2006 thread
« Reply #90 on: June 02, 2006, 03:45:20 PM »
LOL - That's funny!! Well, maybe you can just blame it on your ability to see both sides of an issue that's causing you to have a hard time making a decision. THat'll come in handy as a lawyer! :)

Let me ask some questions...

Have you visited both campuses?
Where do you currently live?
Which one is going to cost more and how much?
What kind of job do you want post-graduation?
Which has a higher bar passage rate?

Oh no, Butch!  I missed this post -- for some reason the CUNY thread didn't show up in my unreads until this afternoon.  These are good questions that probably would have helped you give me advice, and I'm sorry I missed them.  So I decided without you...

Brooklyn.  I live in Brooklyn.  It will cost slightly less.  I want to be a public defender and I know more public defenders who went to Brooklyn than to Dozo.  There were some personal reasons too, but those were the main ones.  Mostly, ah, walking to school!

Hope some of you can be enticed into doing defender work. The CUNY defender clinic is amazing, and I would love to meet some of you over the summers at Legal Aid and NDS and Bronx Defenders...
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2006, 05:22:35 PM »
Oh well - it was YOUR choice.

And, I think I would have told you Brooklyn too. I mean, they're so similarly ranked, etc that I'd go with the one that was easier to get to and cheaper!  Plus, if you want to be a defender, then it sounds like you made the right choice.

Go You!!

Yeah!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 02, 2006, 05:24:26 PM »
Thanks for being so kind to me, y'all!
I'll stop hijacking your thread now, but I wish you all the best of luck.  If any of you want to talk to cool CUNY alums about questions, I know some, and I'd love to hook you up.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 02, 2006, 07:26:42 PM »
Lee - Welcome to NYC!!!

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2006, 11:34:04 PM »
I haven't heard from CUNY at all about financial aid. Haven't even gotten my award letter. I wrote a week or two ago, updating my address. They said it'd be soon. But, no word yet.

Good luck with the job hunt!  What kinda job you lookin' for?

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2006, 05:57:26 PM »
Yeah, the weather has been crap the last week!  It's been nice that I haven't had to run the air conditioner ($$), but I just miss the sun. The park outside of my window looks like a lake!

Hey catamount - I tried adding you as a friend on myspace. I dont know if you've approved it yet or not, though.

There are lots of CUNY law students on there!

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2006, 10:00:22 PM »
Catamount - Bummer! I was hoping to meet you before August!

But, look at the bright side, more time for you to work and they must feel confident that you dont "need" the institute like some of us do!

I'm in the process of buying a car for law school. I really want a Toyota Yaris - they're so cute. But, none of the dealers within a 50 mile radius have one in stock so I have to see about having them order one. Errrr.

rebo617

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: June 09, 2006, 11:37:10 AM »
i still haven't heard anything from CUNY Law -- is anyone else still in the dark?

i called and they said my application is STILL being reviewed?  WTF?

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 09, 2006, 03:24:38 PM »
Yeah, that seems ridiculous! And you should be able to find some other temp or part-time job for $15 an hour at least.

Look in nonprofits. Try idealist.org

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2006, 03:48:13 PM »
yeah, CUNY does things really last minute sometimes...i mean, they're still having admitted candidate sessions in late July, which by that time most people have decided already.

I had to write the financial aid director again today to find out about my award letter. On May 24 she wrote saying I should know by the end of that week, but I never heard.  I really would like to get that settled.

I also realized that I have to get the forms for my immunizations filled out. i can'tf ind my record, so I guess I have to go to the doctor and take some test to prove I'm immunized.

Summer Law Institute starts in 1 month!  Time is flying, man.

Anyone gotten anything in the mail from CUNY lately? I've changed my address, but yet I don't trust them.