Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CUNY Fall 2006 thread  (Read 9393 times)

SFQueer

• My cat oscar
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: CUNY Fall 2006 thread
« Reply #80 on: May 25, 2006, 05:02:49 PM »
Hey, have any of y'all received any books in the mail from CUNY.  I was chatting with a student who just finished her first year, and she said that the school sent her two books to read in the summer before orientation....

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 26, 2006, 01:05:04 AM »
Hey guys,

I just wanted to say thanks for all of your support while I was waiting for my decision from CUNY.  I received my rejection letter today.  I am surprised only because it is the least conciliatory rejection I have received (or seen), including the sentence: "The limited number of seats in the enering class and an extraordinary volume of applications mean that the Admissions Committee can only offer admission to those applicants whose records indicate the likelihood for academic success and a good fit for the Law School's mission and program."  But c'est la vie.  I am very fortunate to have other options, though CUNY remained a top choice for me. 

CUNY is a fantastic school, and I wish you all the best.  Here's to getting to know each other during our summer public interest work!
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 27, 2006, 12:14:07 PM »
SF Queer - Haven't gotten any yet.  Last year was when I was supposed to start (but deferred) and they sent me 2 books them.  I can't remember what they were...A Civil Action and somethin' else. 

I DID get a phone call from someone at CUNY asking me to urgently call them about my request for in-state tuition and to provide proof that I live in NY.  I dont, nor did I request in-state tuition. They're crazy, LOL.

Plus, I still haven't gotten my award letter. FinAid said they're still working on stuff.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 27, 2006, 12:15:31 PM »
MissP - I am worry. They dont' know what they're missin'!

But, the good news is that you got into two really GREAT schools. I mean, you'll come out of law school being more competitive than we are and not going to CUNY doesn't at all stop you from doing public interest work.

So, think positive - are you going with Cardoza or Brooklyn?

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 27, 2006, 12:56:53 PM »
MissP - I am worry. They dont' know what they're missin'!

But, the good news is that you got into two really GREAT schools. I mean, you'll come out of law school being more competitive than we are and not going to CUNY doesn't at all stop you from doing public interest work.

So, think positive - are you going with Cardoza or Brooklyn?

Thanks so much for this!  And you're right -- I'm very grateful to be going to law school at all, and I was fortunate to receive scholarships, so I'm not going to be burying myself on too much of that crushing private-school debt.  But still, I would have loved to be a part of the CUNY community -- to be in a diverse group of people collaborating for the common good -- and I am sad that I will miss out on that in favor of a more traditional LS experience.  Every CUNY grad I know loves CUNY, and I don't know very many other lawyers who can put a nice sentence together about their schools.  I'm excited for all of you!

For me, I'm still undecided.  Each day, I feel the tug to one or the other.  I think the chances are that I will end up at Brooklyn (slightly larger scholarship, personal reasons), but I have really loved all of the Cardozo people I've met, and I think in some ways it is a more interesting, innovative school.  We shall see... Tuesday is D-Day!

I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2006, 11:46:42 PM »
Miss P - Did you decide???? :)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 31, 2006, 12:57:54 AM »
Miss P - Did you decide???? :)

No, I extended my decision until Thursday.  I'm hopeless!  (I blame my pisces rising.)  If you have any thoughts, I'd love to hear them!!!

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 31, 2006, 11:08:11 AM »
LOL - That's funny!! Well, maybe you can just blame it on your ability to see both sides of an issue that's causing you to have a hard time making a decision. THat'll come in handy as a lawyer! :)

Let me ask some questions...

Have you visited both campuses?
Where do you currently live?
Which one is going to cost more and how much?
What kind of job do you want post-graduation?
Which has a higher bar passage rate?

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 02, 2006, 02:42:21 PM »
Catamount - I think Bryant Park (42nd and 6th Ave) has free wi-fi throughout the park, along with a cafe, plenty of places to sit, etc.

They are working on putting free wi-fi in all of the parks.

There's a coffee shop called Big Cup on 8th Ave between 21 and 22nd st tha thas free wi-fi (though lots of gay boys!).

The NYC Public Library has it.

Veniero's on 11th St betwene 2nd and 3rd has free wifi and delicious desserts

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 02, 2006, 02:43:10 PM »
I got confirmation that I have a seat in the Summer Law Institute, and also the stipend.

Anyone else going???