Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: CUNY Fall 2006 thread  (Read 9686 times)

SaTaNBuGG

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: CUNY Fall 2006 thread
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2006, 05:44:32 PM »
Bucth,

What part of Jersey City do you live in?  If I decice to go to Rutgers I plan on living in JC.  I've been looking around the Grove Street station area.  Any othere sugeestions?  I see alot of housing in Journal Square and JC Heights.  What you apoinion of these areas?  Thanks.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2006, 05:45:03 PM »
Catamount - I know some cheap places to eat in NYC, so we'll all have to meet up sometime. We can go to DoJo's, where you can order almost everything on the menu for $4-7.

:)
I wonder if there's anywhere near the school where students go to get a beer? My partner went to Rutgers and spent many afternoons getting a beer at the pub across the street!

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2006, 05:49:09 PM »
MeowMix -...do a few blcoks away from Grove St, by the Hamilton Park area. (We live in a brownstone directly on the park, actually.) There's a lil' less theft/vandalism of vehicles and it's a lil' nicer than the blocks surrounding Grove St.  JC Heights and Journal Square aren't very nice areas (and the Heights would be more difficult to get to the Path)...definitely would stick with Hamilton Park, Paulus Hook, or Newport. Hamilton Park is near Grove St...once you hit 6th street then the blocks get a lot more quaint and it's still within walking distance of the Grove St station and easy to get to Newark.  You should really take the Path over here sometime. Walk around the areas and see what you like. I love all the brownstones..its'b eautiful here!

Another good place to check out if you go to Rutgers is Montclair..10 mins to Broad St in Newark and it's very nice there and more affordable.

SFQueer

• My cat oscar
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2006, 06:30:07 PM »
I haven't got my financial aid award yet either, or the letter about the summer law institute, but it looks like it would be really helpful esp. since I have been out of school for 6 years : ) ...I talked with the folks in financial aid and they said that all I'm elegible for as an out of state person is loans.  The grad fellowship is a seperate program, I think it's connected with admissions.

I was also told that student services is keeping a list of people who are looking for roommates, so I am going to send them my information today...

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2006, 09:40:24 AM »
The person to talk to is Natali Kun (kun@mail.law.cuny.edu)- she maintains the roomate/housing list. I can forward you the emails she's sent me when a new entry was put on the list. email leestetson@gmail.com

I'm done work a week from tomorrow, and I can't wait any longer! I feel just like I did 10 years ago when I was graduating highschool. I need to get a copy of Alice Cooper's "School's Out For Summer" and blast it my last day in the office.

catamount

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 18, 2006, 09:42:06 AM »
Sorry... my email address is lee.stetson@gmail.com (NOT leestetson@gmail.com).

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2006, 11:31:36 AM »
Congrats with being done with work.  Does it feel good?  I sorta wish I could be done with work. Granted, my job is super low-stress and work-from-home so it won't be difficult to put in hours each week when I'm in school...but, it'd just be nice to only have school to focus on.  I suppose if I took out some private loans I could do that (or if I had instate tuition) - but, I dont wanna be more in debt than I already am.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2006, 03:55:01 PM »
So Miss P, I see on another thread that you're likely going to Cardoza? Congrats and good luck!

MeowMix - have you made any decisions? Did you go look at that apartment? Today I was walking through the area and saw several For Rent signs...

Catamount - moving day is soon!  Are you packed? 

So - today I was on the subway and they always have those posters advertising CUNY. Today was the first time I saw one that mentioned CUNY Law. The person they were highlighting was Iyanla Vanzant, one of the life coaches on NBC's "Starting Over".  She is a CUNY Law 88 graduate!

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2006, 04:01:22 PM »
So Miss P, I see on another thread that you're likely going to Cardoza? Congrats and good luck!

I still haven't heard from CUNY!  It's definitely making me lean toward either Brooklyn or Cardozo.  I just don't know between them and I'm getting tugged in all directions.  Cardozo was a clear top choice at first, but for various reasons (mostly personal), Brooklyn has surged recently.  I'm confused, but so very grateful.  And a bit sad about CUNY's holdout.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Butch

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2006, 12:50:59 PM »
Catamount - we just moved within Jersey City. We downsized apartments, to prepare for our income going down while I'm in school.  We only moved 4 blocks away, but it's still a real pain. You still have to pack everything up, change all your addresses, get all new utilities, etc. Sigh.

Good luck! NYC awaits you!